Ares Games

Thread: Off to fight....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andy
    Sorties Flown

Default Off to fight....

As the early morning dew glistens over the dawn drenched airfield, the silence is shattered by the crackling of allied fighter engines. One by one they take their turn to break free from the earth and once again do battle in the skies above.

Taking the Camel and SE5 I planned a pincer movement to take her Dr1 and Pfalz by surprise. All went well until the Pfalz mis-judged her rate of turn cutting through my SE5 lower wing outer spar resulting in a heavy damage card for me. I was also getting strafted rather badly in my Camel and thinking of returning to base when luck would have it and her Dr1 took an early bath with a double draw of damage cards. I swung my SE5 in from the west and took up a strafing position into the early morning sun. Half blinded I battled on whilst my Camel swung in from the north. Her Pfalz was taking no prisoners. Incensed by witnessing the loss of her fellow ace, she flew head to head, sensing the fragility of my Camel. Both aircraft in range, both pilots open fire. My damage card revealed a miss but as I prepared to pull hard left I watched in amazement as her Pfalz exploded in midair by the turning of the card name which cannot be spoken. The good old Tommys won the day but the war roles on. Although I was credited with downing 2 German aircraft The Baron survived the crash and I expect I will be dualing with him in the near future.

Needles

Last edited by needles; 12-21-2010 at 08:49.

That Baron is pesky like that... Nice job on the double kill and the AAR! Nice Pic too! I take it the Hangar is something you printed out?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andy
    Sorties Flown

Hi Ken

Yes the allied and German hangars can be found in the download section:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...hp?do=cat&id=4

I like to start each battle with a take off. Still working on the inhouse rules but quite like to side by side roll and climb out. I am also looking to add trenches for both sides and no mans land inbetween. Inhouse cannon and artilary rules can then be setup so that if either side decides to follow a strichen kite back to their airfield, then they may incur the roth of ground fire. This would add extra dimensions to the game and may draw out battles.

Happy landings

Needles

Nice sortie Needles. You have upheld the reputation of the squadron yet again. That Red Baron is responsible for most of the plastic wreckage strewn across my table. He seems to lead a charmed life. Now when I get my Roy Brown and a few Australian machine gunners...........
    Bye the way, in our games we have automatically added random flack whenever any enemy plane crosses the lines both going out and on the way back. That way if you run for home with low points, you still may go down in No mans land.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks for the AA report, Andy. I very much enjoyed it, along with the nice picture.

Nice report, good action, take that you pesky Red Baron !!

Similar Missions

1. If WWI was a bar fight
    By Strangely Brown in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 05-22-2012, 20:21
  2. Epic Fight Over the Fronts
    By Hamburger in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 04:42
  3. Mission 12: A short fight and a long one
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13