Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Unpainted minatures

  1. #1

    needles's Avatar
    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Andy
    Location
    This Green and Pleasant Land
    Sorties Flown
    30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Unpainted minatures

    Just a thought....

    with so many of us engaged in repainting the excellent wow minatures, wouldnt it make sense for Nexus to produce a plain, unpainted model in each series with a sheet of decals. I am sure this would save them a bit of money and us a lot of time stripping a perfectly good model and podding out for the cost of decals.

    Like I say, just a thought.

    Needles

  2. #2

    Default

    Sounds like a damn good idea to me - lets hope Nexus pick up on the idea.

  3. #3

    Default

    It's been asked before, and not happening unfortunately - the "so many of us" that repaint are still a tiny proportion of overall sales; a vocal minority rather than actually a big chunk of the market.
    Last edited by Dom S; 12-14-2010 at 02:53.

  4. #4

    Default

    Unfortuntely Dom is right first thing, Nexus listen to customers? forgive me but ha ha hahahahaha.
    Next there have been lots of threads saying same thing I have found dating back a couple of years. Nexus cant keep production of single seaters up to date let alone blank ones. Nice idea but cant ever see it happening

  5. #5

    Default

    To be fair, I don't think the game was ever originally intended be used other than with one of each model in use at the same time, with multiples of the same aircraft just using different paint schemes (at least not by FFG/Nexus). That's how all of the official scenarios are set up, it's just the likes of us that want to go for a more historically accurate approach.

    Same reason they've got limited numbers of certain nationalities, although I suspect that's equally because they don't want to release several models with almost identical paint jobs if they can avoid it.

  6. #6

    needles's Avatar
    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Andy
    Location
    This Green and Pleasant Land
    Sorties Flown
    30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default

    Its a shame because Nexus appear to produce pilot specifc models which I can see would appeal in single combat. Why not then produce a generic model say, a Camel in a common paint scheme and allow the customer to number up the squadron to his liking. That way the gamer could field say, 6 Camels with 6 different identification markers from the same squadron.

    Being new to wow it was only an idea. I know its a commercial entity and Nexus have to do what is financially viable.

    Although the great majority of customers will buy single models the real modellers will buy multiply unpainted aircraft.

    Do any of the Nexus team frequent this forum?

    Needles

  7. #7

    Default

    I can understand Nexus reluctance to produce unpainted models due to thinking they wouldnt be financially viable. However, as most gamers would want multiples of the same aircraft to enable them to fly a 'Squadron' or 'Justa' surely they need to rethink.

    From a commercial point of view a gamer buying 6 SE5a's & a similar number of DR1's. all unpainted, is better than buying 1 painted version of each.

    Nexus are also missing out on the fact that their miniatures can be used for other games, likewise other companies can be used for WoW. Unpainted miniatures would open up their product for wider use which has to make business sense.

    Maybe my logic is off the mark or Nexus have some cunning business plan which means they do not want to make as much money as possible from their games/models. :-s

  8. #8

    Default from ronald

    YES!!!! YES!!!!!YES!!! I am with you. I wish thay would!!!

  9. #9

    Default

    "However, as most gamers would want multiples of the same aircraft to enable them to fly a 'Squadron' or 'Justa' surely they need to rethink."

    - I don't think there's any evidence to back that up; the vast majority of players use 1 or 2 aircraft at a time and couldn't give a fig about doing squadrons - we need to accept the fact that we die-hards doing half a dozen of this and half a dozen of that are a small minority, not "most gamers".... I'd love to see unpainted models, but the market is small compared to Wings Of War as a whole, they'd further complicate production (and we all know *that's* a major issue already, with models frequently impossible to get hold of....) and given the production and distribution methods they wouldn't be much cheaper than the painted models anyway. Andrea from Nexus has responded to this debate in the past (he actually said he likes the idea, but the numbers don't add up for the company) and it's a dead horse, sorry....

    Dom.
    Last edited by Dom S; 12-14-2010 at 06:31.

  10. #10

    Default

    Good Morning Gents!

    Wizkids got requests from its gamers back in the early part of this decade for unpainted versions of its Mage Knight miniatures. Wizkids decided to give it a go and released them... from what I can remember they were a total flop.

    Now mind you that is a different type of mini and a different type of gamer... and that my memory sucks at times... oh and that I would like to see unpainted versions of the WoW planes as much as the rest of you in this thread! But I can see how a company like Fantasy Flight Games would be reluctant to take a risk like that, especially in this current economy.

    What we really need is for a plastic modeling company to release quality 1/144th kits... or better yet a range of fully built unpainted minis. I am really surprised that one of the metal minis companies like Reaper has not already switched over to plastic. It seems to be the more cost effective way to produce miniatures. They could easily produce a line of vehicles of different types as well...

    Just my thoughts on the subject... feel free to slice' em and dice 'em!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

  11. #11

    Angry

    Maybe I am just flogging a dead horse...

    Nexus only seem to be looking at this from a WoW point of view. Anyone playing other WW1 aerial games which are aimed at multiple aircraft battling it out in the skies above Flanders (or wherever else you want) would probably want multiple unpainted copies of the same aircraft. But hey, if they dont want to go down that road then it is their loss.

    OK - I am now off my soapbox Skytrex & Reviresco will be getting my money for all of those extra aircraft that I want.

  12. #12

    needles's Avatar
    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Andy
    Location
    This Green and Pleasant Land
    Sorties Flown
    30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default

    For me the compromise would be a generic, none pilot specific model, plainly painted, minimal decal/art work so that I could finish them with Dom's decals.

    The game looks to have evolved considerably over the years from a simple card game to a full blown war with bombers, balloons, custom rules etc. The historical accuracy and attention to detail is what makes gaming for me but I also respect casual gamers who just want to have fun because at the end of the day that is what it should be all about.

    Blackadder: * * Baldrick, what are you doing out there?

    Baldrick: * * * I'm carving something on this bullet sir.

    Blackadder: * * What are you carving?

    Baldrick: * * * I'm carving "Baldrick", sir.

    Blackadder: * * Why?

    Baldrick: * * * It's a cunning plan actually.

    Blackadder: * * Of course it is.

    Baldrick: * * * You see, you know they say that somewhere there's a bullet
    ** * * * * * * *with your name on it?

    Blackadder: * * Yes?

    Baldrick: * * * Well, I thought if I owned the bullet with my name on it,
    ** * * * * * * *I'd never get hit by it, 'cos I won't ever shoot myself.

    Blackadder: * * Oh, shame.

    Baldrick: * * * And, the chances of there being two bullets with my name
    ** * * * * * * *on them are very small indeed.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    It's been asked before, and not happening unfortunately - the "so many of us" that repaint are still a tiny proportion of overall sales; a vocal minority rather than actually a big chunk of the market.
    As a note, another pre-painted mini company tried this and it failed miserably for them.

    Wizkids Games tried this with their Mage Knight line, as it was not unlike many traditional table top mini games where people painted their own minis. The unpainted minis flopped quite badly for them, and the idea was scrapped.

    Nexus and Rackham both sell their games on the 'pre-painted' and 'ready to go' concept. A few of us would love this, but those few wouldn't pay for production costs and the like. Not enough demand.

  14. #14

    Default

    I like the idea but doubt it will ever happen.

  15. #15

    Default

    +1....was thinking about that myself...what with the AlbIII and the DVIIF impossible to get it would be a great idea...also will be able to make flights of the same sqd

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz68 View Post
    Maybe I am just flogging a dead horse...

    Nexus only seem to be looking at this from a WoW point of view. Anyone playing other WW1 aerial games which are aimed at multiple aircraft battling it out in the skies above Flanders (or wherever else you want) would probably want multiple unpainted copies of the same aircraft. But hey, if they dont want to go down that road then it is their loss.

    OK - I am now off my soapbox Skytrex & Reviresco will be getting my money for all of those extra aircraft that I want.
    Adie I feel your frustration, I really do... Especially seeing the headaches I have had so far with assembling the minis available to us... pre-assembled and ready to paint has great appeal!

    Quote Originally Posted by needles View Post
    For me the compromise would be a generic, none pilot specific model, plainly painted, minimal decal/art work so that I could finish them with Dom's decals.

    The game looks to have evolved considerably over the years from a simple card game to a full blown war with bombers, balloons, custom rules etc. The historical accuracy and attention to detail is what makes gaming for me but I also respect casual gamers who just want to have fun because at the end of the day that is what it should be all about.

    Blackadder: * * Baldrick, what are you doing out there?

    Baldrick: * * * I'm carving something on this bullet sir.

    Blackadder: * * What are you carving?

    Baldrick: * * * I'm carving "Baldrick", sir.

    Blackadder: * * Why?

    Baldrick: * * * It's a cunning plan actually.

    Blackadder: * * Of course it is.

    Baldrick: * * * You see, you know they say that somewhere there's a bullet
    ** * * * * * * *with your name on it?

    Blackadder: * * Yes?

    Baldrick: * * * Well, I thought if I owned the bullet with my name on it,
    ** * * * * * * *I'd never get hit by it, 'cos I won't ever shoot myself.

    Blackadder: * * Oh, shame.

    Baldrick: * * * And, the chances of there being two bullets with my name
    ** * * * * * * *on them are very small indeed.
    I love it Andy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
    As a note, another pre-painted mini company tried this and it failed miserably for them.

    Wizkids Games tried this with their Mage Knight line, as it was not unlike many traditional table top mini games where people painted their own minis. The unpainted minis flopped quite badly for them, and the idea was scrapped.

    Nexus and Rackham both sell their games on the 'pre-painted' and 'ready to go' concept. A few of us would love this, but those few wouldn't pay for production costs and the like. Not enough demand.
    LOL Hey Robert, scroll up three posts from yours!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

  17. #17

    needles's Avatar
    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Andy
    Location
    This Green and Pleasant Land
    Sorties Flown
    30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default

    Isnt it ironic that Revell and Airfix among others make their money from selling unmade, unpainted kits requiring lots more money being spent to produce the finished model where as, Corgi knock out an out of the box fully finished equivalent for a few pounds/bucks more....lol ;-)

    It's not like they would have to remold or add to the manufacture process in any way. Take a batch of minatures prior to paint and box say four at a time with a few paints and a brush and run a series of online tutorials. Warhammer do a similar thing and its one of their biggest sellers. Who knows, modellers outside the wow community might start to collect, especially if room is an issue ;-)

    Hey, what are we doing. Nexus would pay high salaries for marketing guys to come up with these ideas. I want a cut when the boxes start to roll, lol


    Keep it fun

    Needles

    Needles

  18. #18

    Default

    It would be a dream come true.

  19. #19

    needles's Avatar
    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Andy
    Location
    This Green and Pleasant Land
    Sorties Flown
    30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    It would be a dream come true.
    Field of Dreams? lol

  20. #20

    Default Note

    As it stands the painted planes from Nexus are collectables there for money for the company. Unpainted planes are not. Companies are driven by profits.

  21. #21

    Mac's Avatar



    Name
    Don
    Location
    Interlochen MI
    Sorties Flown
    106
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default

    Think on it chaps, why issue unpainted models when those that can and do, will repaint anyway?
    Would you really buy unpainted in the quantity required for a profit?
    Also, unpainted would mean the addition of a decal sheet. . .

  22. #22

    Default

    I have noticed that Nexus do a couple of planes as tournament prizes, a gold Spad and silver Albatross without any markings but they are not for public sale.
    Shame, it would be great if they could expand that for public sale for people to paint up.
    Don

  23. #23

    Default

    From a marketing stand point it actually makes sense for them to only produce the painted ones. (waits for the groans and scoffing noises to fade)

    Think about it, they produce a complete game package for each plane for a reasonable price. You get a Painted Mini, a Stand with appropriate game info for said Mini, Maneuver Cards, and most importantly a Matching aircraft card. For most players it is the aircraft card that helps them keep track of which plane is who's during the game.

    This gently forces the gamer to buy their products to play their game which keeps them in business. Once you have enough of their planes you can add your own from other sources because you have enough extra decks of each of the maneuver types, but until then you will buy theirs because it is easy to open the box and fly! The only real frustration I see is that they can't keep up with demand, and don't have a good new release program. I know that the process for making a new model is expensive, but I really think they could recoup that quickly seeing as how quick ANY releases sell out.

  24. #24

    needles's Avatar
    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Andy
    Location
    This Green and Pleasant Land
    Sorties Flown
    30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default

    Okay so heres a slightly different slant. Why dont Nextus continue to produce painted minatures but supply a decal sheet to number up each aircrat individually. That way everybodys happy, unless there is someone out there that isnt everybody and it turns out that they are not happy at all, but its like me old mum says, you cant make everybody happy.....lol ;-)

  25. #25

    Mac's Avatar



    Name
    Don
    Location
    Interlochen MI
    Sorties Flown
    106
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default

    Support!
    Vote and we can make it so!
    Or we can use/buy decals and continue as we have been. . . .
    Last edited by Mac; 12-21-2010 at 08:28.



Similar Missions

  1. Future WW2 Minatures
    By Doug in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-23-2010, 19:28
  2. 6mm Minatures
    By Doug in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 13:48

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •