Ares Games

Thread: Skytrex Woes

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

Default Skytrex Woes

I have been painting up a number of Skytrex Action 200 World War 2 Models.

I have said a few negative things on here in regards to Skytrex WW2planes. I just thought I would throw it out there see if anyone else had these problems and can try to make the last 4 of six a bit easier.

First of the flashing was excessive but I was able to get that cleaned off with relatively little problem. Plenty of pits in the mold so I filled all that with green stuff.

Second I base coated the model with the primary colour. (I have played and painted miniatures for almost 15 years.) Painted the model. While painting the model I would have large pieces of paint basically peel off.

I don't wash or highlight any more but use the dip method. So when I got all the colours in the right place I dipped and will drybrush over the heavier areas of shading dip and see if my beaufighter is salvagable and I can make it look half decent.

The onyl thing I did not do was wash the model in warm soapy water like I would for a plastic or Resin model. I have never had this issue with a metal model..

Any one want to help me cry into my beer or offer up pointers? Does Skytrex use a different metal than most others? I don't understand it.

Well that is my rant

As far as I know they still use mold release on metal molds. I always wash in warm water with a few drops of detergent and an old toothbrush, then prime. In more years than I care to remember, I have never had a problem with paint coming off.

Strange, I cannot comment on Skytrex WW2 models, I have only assembled their WW1 planes. To be honest never had an issue, I spray undercoat then paint. not had any peels. Have a look at my thread some repaints. The last two pics are all Skytrex

There may be residue on the model from the mould, and if you are handling it (filing bits or generally cleaning up the casting) you will get grease on the model, so it is a good move to give it a dip in soapy water before painting.

I also tend to undercoat in white/grey/black/whatever colour is appropriate before applying the proper colour basecoat, which I find helps. On occasion (for example when it is a fiddly model that will need handling during painting) I have applied the base colour then matt spray varnished this before applying the detail colour.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

I notice you "basecoated the model in the primary colour". Do you use a primer first?

For any paint to adhere properly it's really important to first remove any release agent and finger grease. I use a stiff brush and Tamiya acrylic thinners, which gives off a reassuringly 'solventy' smell and seems to work well enough. Washing-up liquid and water will also work but you need to be sure it's really dry before you spray on the primer as it's solvent based.

Priming is essential. Enamel paint will stick to metal tolerably well, but acrylic won't. Even some primers don't stick to white metal very well. It's not the model's fault or the manufacturer's. Buy a good quality metal primer (in the UK Halfords' grey is good). Apply several light coats with 15mins drying between, rather than one mega coat which will chip.

I realise I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs here, and I don't mean to patronise. I've painted loads of Skytrex models (see my albums), and while they do have a few little quirks, getting the paint to stick hasn't been one so far!

I've not tried Skytrex's WW2 aircraft as I don't play DOW. I know the range has been around a bit so the moulds might be getting a bit tired. Having just looked at the website, Skytrex really need to work on their marketing and presentation. Not one single picture of models costing over a fiver each! The WW1 models do at least have pictures but most of them don't do the model justice. Get a grip fellers. And get the Staaken on the website so my wife can buy me one for Christmas.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

Army Painter makes a great line of colour primers. So that is what I meant by Priming it the base colour.

By Handling them and filling gaps and what not I must just have made them greasy.

This is the first time I have ever had a problem with metal models. When I painted up the air 200 from Last Square there was no issues.

Ohh well I have 4 more to try make sure I was them before hand.

Similar Missions

1. Skytrex pilots
    By Burt in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 17:45
  2. Shipping Woes
    By phililphall in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 15:01
  3. Skytrex Gotha bombers
    By Khargor in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 09:28
  4. Interested in what Skytrex models look like?
    By gregbond77 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 16:12
  5. SKYTREX TYPE-P ZEPPELIN
    By usmc1855 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 21:02