Ares Games

Thread: Just getting started, what to spend $100 on?

Default Just getting started, what to spend $100 on?

I am just getting started and don't know anything about WoW. What would you suggest I spend my first $100 on? Couple things that may influence your advice: I am interested in playing with the miniatures versus cards only. I'll probably want a balanced air force as I'll try to recruit (eventually) others to the game.Thanks in advance.

Default Starters

I would tell you to get the Revised Deluxe Edition of WOW. It has all you need plus four mintures.

Quote Originally Posted by bonelock View Post
    I am just getting started and don't know anything about WoW. What would you suggest I spend my first $100 on? Couple things that may influence your advice: I am interested in playing with the miniatures versus cards only. I'll probably want a balanced air force as I'll try to recruit (eventually) others to the game.Thanks in advance.
    okay, I'd still have $50-60 to spend. What next?

I'd start buying single miniatues starting with the scouts you don't get in Revised Deluxe:

Fokker D.VII (if you can find it)
    Sopwith Snipe
    SE5a
    Pfalz D.III
    Albatros D.III
    Nieuport 17

If you have anything left get a 2-seater for each side - I prefer the DH4 and the Rumpler.

Thumbs up

Welcome to the Drome Terry.

I would suggest looking at the game aids, that some of the talented people have made available on this site.

Regards Lucky.

I'd definitely start out with the Revised Deluxe Set, and then with the leftover go for additional mini's. However, I would suggest getting one or two of the two-seaters so you have additional options for game play. With the two-seaters you can play bombing or photo recon missions which you can't do with fighters only. Maybe pick up a DH.4 and a UFAG so you have one each for Allied and German. After the two-seaters try and score any of the following -

Fokker D.VII
    S.E.5a
    Snipe
    Albatros D.III
    Pfalz D.III
    Nieuport

As Larry pointed out, some may be more difficult to find than others. But try and keep the balance between Allied and German as you make your choices. This way you'll have equal match-ups for your sorties when the time comes.

Have fun shopping!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    I'd definitely start out with the Revised Deluxe Set, and then with the leftover go for additional mini's. However, I would suggest getting one or two of the two-seaters so you have additional options for game play. With the two-seaters you can play bombing or photo recon missions which you can't do with fighters only. Maybe pick up a DH.4 and a UFAG so you have one each for Allied and German. After the two-seaters try and score any of the following -

Fokker D.VII
    S.E.5a
    Snipe
    Albatros D.III
    Pfalz D.III
    Nieuport

As Larry pointed out, some may be more difficult to find than others. But try and keep the balance between Allied and German as you make your choices. This way you'll have equal match-ups for your sorties when the time comes.

Have fun shopping!!
    Thanks for the comprehensive advice. What about one of the balloon buster sets or the mats?

Terry

I think the guys have got it right above. Go for the basics first with the Revised Deluxe edition and a few extra aircraft. The mats are nice to have, but are not essential for gameplay & IMO you are probably better off buying a generic mat from from another vendor than the WoW mats (Sorry if anyone thinks I am being disloyal to Nexus but I have both mats and while they are great feel I could have spent the money better on something else.)

The Balloons do give you an extra plane with each box which is always handy. However, until you have the hang of the basic game there isnt much point in spending that kind of money as you should be able to about 4 planes to 1 balloon.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by bonelock View Post
    Thanks for the comprehensive advice. What about one of the balloon buster sets or the mats?
    Adie got it right in that the Balloon Busters sets are expensive and there are better things to spend the money on as you first get going. However, in my opinion the mats are worth buying, but not before you get stocked up on planes and the Deluxe Starter Set. After you've got the set and the planes, save up for the mats. You can get them for $26 each (east half and west half) from our site sponsor, CoolStuffInc.com. I think they are worth the money. I'd recommend getting both since one is only large enough for a small dogfight. But the mats have been a subject for debate for awhile here on the Drome, so take it as my opinion. There is a poll about the mats out there somewhere, I think. If there isn't, start one to get the members opinions. I, myself, think they look great and really enhance the game play.

Other than colour scheme is their a "in game" difference between the variations in the same plane model? Just wondering if some variations suit different play styles etc..

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Usually no, but some types (mainly 2-seaters) have different gun configurations, with mixtures of single and twin fore or aft guns (A or B damage decks in game terms.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Usually no, but some types (mainly 2-seaters) have different gun configurations, with mixtures of single and twin fore or aft guns (A or B damage decks in game terms.)
    For a breakdown of those differences, check out the Miniature Comparison Chart in the WWI/Game Aids section of the files on this site.

I'd put a link here, but that part of the site seems to be down right now.

Anything wrong with the Roland as my German two-seater? I noticed no one mentioned it. I like the look of the LFG Roland CII (Luftstreitskrafte) best by far...

All good advice above. Definately start with the revised set as it is the best deal out there espeically since it includes a double A and a B damage decks. Due to availability this may cost you most of your $100 as it retialed for $60 and they are getting hard to find. The few I have seen on Ebay have gone for over $100.

Normally I would concur with the 2 seaters, but right now I would say try to get any single seaters you can find especially from serries 1 and 2 as they are getting harder and harder to find and seem to be i the highest demand since it is going to be awhile since we will see any reprints.

If you do not have a line on the delux set send me a PM as I know of atleast one online vendor that still has them at the original retail price.

Welcome and good luck in your search.

Thanks for the advice. However, I was still looking for a critique of the Roland: do people have issues with it as a two-seater? Just curious.

The Roland is a useful 2-seater. Matched in the same series as the RE8 it is (with the exception of von R's machine) an early-war wachine with reasonable performance, defensive firepower better than most and the wide field of fire for the back seater means a scout has to treat them with respect. If I'm using 2 seaters I try to use two or more for a chance at some defensive tactics - the lone recon machine caught by single seaters really needs to get the hell out as fast as possible.

The Roland is a nice 2 seater for the Central Powers. My group tends to fly them over any of the other 2 seaters.

I would also get hold of the box set Flight of the Giants for when we get the big bomber mimi's, plus a few upto date rules. This not essential but a worth it buy

Similar Missions

1. How much will you spend on a new game?
    By afilter in forum Polls
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 10-06-2014, 03:47
  2. I started reading this book from project gutenberg
    By chris.cymru in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 01:19