Ares Games

Thread: My First Pickerington AAR...

Unhappy My First Pickerington AAR...

Prepare yourselves, for tis a sad sad tale... a tale of disappointment and misery... a tale of white death...

The death of my event that is...

So I excitedly prepared for my first WoW minis run at my FLGS this morning, gathering together all of the materials that I have purchased over the last two months... enough material for up to 30 players if it came to it. Did I expect thirty? No, of course not... I would have been happy with 4 or 5 to start things off.

My good friend Marcus arrived to pick me up and shuttle me and the equipment to the store... he himself prepared to join into a multi player fray. We discussed how the event might go on the way, and various tactics that might be helpful in the heat of aerial combat.

Now mind you... the weather had been forecast to be a bit dreary today. Our local weathermen all seemed to agree that we might see rain, followed by an inch or so of snow before midday. And they were "spot on". One minute it was raining, the next the sky was full of large, beautiful, fluffy snowflakes. Before you could say Baron von Richthofen, the ground was covered... and then... nothing... clear sky... a silent chill in the air.

All of this had taken place before my friend had arrived. So we drove the twenty minutes it takes to get from my house to the FLGS, and arrived to find a parking lot blanketed with a thin layer of white slush... mostly untouched by tires or footsteps. I thought to myself "Hmmmmmm self... this might end up being a two or three player event." I was wrong... so very wrong...

We made our way to the door, noticing an eery darkness in the store. The store that was scheduled to open at noon... one hour before we had arrived as scheduled... the store that presented us with a "Closed" sign and a locked door. Nobody inside... nobody in sight... and thus ended my first event before it could even start....

If there are any Columbus area players who actually did wander out into the cold to meet us this afternoon, I offer you my heartfelt apology! I am unsure as to why the store did not open today... perhaps fear of the weather... perhaps illness... whatever the reason I am sure it was a good one.

We will try again... hopefully soon. I will give plenty of notice. Hopefully I will see a few of you there...

...and thus endeth my first AAR...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1226.jpg   100_1227.jpg   100_1228.jpg  
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I believe the old pilots called it "dud weather - no flying."

(Its pretty "dud" up here too!)

Aww geeesh man... one inch of snow? My power wheelchair can make it through that with no problems! I am thinking that the nice fellow that was supposed to run the store today was home sick with malaria or something similar... perhaps he had been tied up by crazed three year olds... it had to be something drastic... but surely not one inch of snow...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Really sorry to hear this news. I just have no wisecrack to cover this situation.
    What a let down for you. I'm sure the next one will be all the sweeter for the comparison.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Aiden2160

Sorry about the bad run with the weather and the store. Hopefully things will go better on your next scheduled sortee.

Come to England Ken - 1" of snow stops EVerything !!

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Mabey he saw the pictures of your head scar and that scared him off!

Know how you feel. Happened last winter when I showed up to play a friday night game.

I've got just the opposite problem. Wisconsinites were out and about with 2 feet of snow. I've got no LGS to host an event.

Seriously, I do offer my condolences. It is so frustrating to set something up like that and not be able to follow through.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Come to England Ken - 1" of snow stops EVerything !!

even if it snows 1" in Rome we have trouble!

Hmmmmm I thought I responded to this thread already... must not have submitted it... oh well!

Thanks Gents! I appreciate your "morale" support! I managed to get in a nap after I got home... I was wiped from everything I had to get done yesterday and last night in order to make time for the event today... I hate it when multiple obligations collide at similar times... I only have so much energy each day... but I feel better now!

After that I grabbed a snack and sat down for some reruns of the fifth season/series of Doctor Who. I do so like that Scottish lass (Karen Gillan)! Granted she is half my age, but she puts a smile on my face when I am tired or down! Always have had a bit of of a crush on the women of the U.K.!

There will be other events.. and I am sure they will be successful and fun! Now I just have to wait a measly two days 'til my Wednesday trip to the Air Force Museum and then the tournament at Krystal Keep in Dayton! Hoping Mother Nature will take pity on me and not ruin that as well!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    even if it snows 1" in Rome we have trouble!
    At least in Rome snow is pretty unusual - we can bank on getting some every year.

If we had proper snow it would at least be worth investing in snow chains or studded tyres. As it is ....

Default Hey

Hey Cowman what the good news?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Hey Cowman what the good news?
    Was there good news??? Ummmmm lets see...

I was not devoured by ravenous snow sharks while getting out of the car to find out the store was closed...

Karen Gillan did indeed put a smile on my face...

We got a bunch more snow today... but thats ok cause I have lots of mini painting to do!

I am sure there is more good news... but I will save it for other dreary days!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Was there good news??? Ummmmm lets see...

I was not devoured by ravenous snow sharks while getting out of the car to find out the store was closed...

Karen Gillan did indeed put a smile on my face...

We got a bunch more snow today... but thats ok cause I have lots of mini painting to do!

I am sure there is more good news... but I will save it for other dreary days!
    And the roof of your house didn't do a "Metrodome!"

Did you find out why the store didn't open? Usually thing don't close up with less than 6" of snow in Ohio.
    Last edited by tuladin; 12-13-2010 at 10:46.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    And the roof of your house didn't do a "Metrodome!"

Did find out why the store didn't open? Usually thing don't close up with less than 6" of snow in Ohio.
    Actually I just spoke to the owner; he had no idea that the store had not opened. I guess the person that was supposed to open just did not make it in. Hopefully it was not for some horrible reason!! I did not have his personal cell number, so I could not call him yesterday, but he said he would have come in had he known, since he lives right around the corner...

Some days just turn out like that!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    At least in Rome snow is pretty unusual - we can bank on getting some every year.

If we had proper snow it would at least be worth investing in snow chains or studded tyres. As it is ....
    Don't believe! Look at this 1985 pictures (suggestive but the town was hywire) after a strong snowstorm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFXi0rRV2v0

Our meteological service apologized for not forecasting snow at low altitude and in such amounts

Every winter there are short and inoffensive snowfalls near Rome but some snowfalls in the city went down in the history, like this.

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    Don't believe! Look at this 1985 pictures (suggestive but the town was hywire) after a strong snowstorm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFXi0rRV2v0

Our meteological service apologized for not forecasting snow at low altitude and in such amounts

Every winter there are short and inoffensive snowfalls near Rome but some snowfalls in the city went down in the history, like this.

Attilio
    Yes Attilio. Got to give you that. it looks like snow. My Scottish friends would say "A heavy frost" but to us Midlanders, that is snow.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Yes Attilio. Got to give you that. it looks like snow. My Scottish friends would say "A heavy frost" but to us Midlanders, that is snow.
    Rob.

A little frost, guys (it's snowing in Rome 13:00 GMT !!).

Attilio

Similar Missions

1. Last minute Game in Pickerington Ohio!
    By The Cowman in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2010, 14:28