Ares Games

Thread: Stealing Secrets

Default Stealing Secrets

The following mission was submitted by Khargor for the Dawn of Air Combat Contest.

While undertaking field trials of a new prototype engine, the unsuspecting pilot flew over a battery of camouflaged enemy mobile AA guns. Despite using all of his skill to keep the aeroplane flying, several of the AA rounds found their mark forcing the pilot to try and find a safe area nearby for a controlled crash before making his escape on foot. The race is now on as both sides try to prevent their opponents from getting control of the damaged prototype...

Mission Objectives

Attacking Player: You must secure the crashed enemy prototype by driving the defenders away until one of your recovery teams there – obviously the defenders will be desperately trying to keep you from stealing their
    property!

Defending Player: The prototype belongs to you and your choices are simple – drive the enemy away from it or destroy it to wipe out all evidence of its secrets!

Combatants

Attacking Player: 2x fighters
    Defending Player: 1x fighter

Special Rules

1. The prototype: due to the damage caused by the crash, at the start of the game the prototype has only 10 Damage Points left

2. Strafing: the Defending Players aeroplane may attempt to destroy their prototype by strafing it and the Attacking Players mobile AA guns (Advanced Rules). To do this, follow the normal rules regarding shooting at other aeroplanes (ranges, damage, etc) but disregard the ‘pilot/navigator injured’, ‘rudder/‘engine’ damaged’ results, but still apply any damage points caused. If you are using the ‘explosion’ damage card, decide with your opponent if the result will also apply to the crashed prototype prior to starting the mission.

Gaming Surface

Place a model in the exact centre of the gaming area to represent the crashed prototype aeroplane. Attacking and Defending players each choose one of the shorter edges and deploy their aeroplanes up to half a ruler from that edge.

Winning Conditions

Attacker win: To win, the Attacking Player must eliminate the Defending Players aeroplane BEFORE it destroys their prototype

Defender win: The Defending Player must destroy the prototype aeroplane (even if it is destroyed in doing so) OR clear the area by eliminating all attacking forces

Draw: Any other result will count as a draw.

Advanced Rules

If you are using the optional rules from the main rulebook (altitude, etc), the following rules should also be included:

Mobile AA Guns
    The Attacking Player should replace one of the fighter aeroplanes in his force with 3x mobile AA guns (or suitable markers to represent them). The mobile AA guns may be deployed at the start of the game anywhere within the Attackers half of the gaming surface but at least 2x rulers distance from any part of the crashed prototype objective. The mobile AA guns may move and shoot normally (see below).

Each Attacking Player turn the mobile AA guns may choose to move up to half the length of the range ruler but may not fire, or choose to move up to quarter of the length of the range ruler and open fire using the rules for AA guns in Pages 9 & 15 of the ‘Burning Drachens’ supplement. Each mobile AA gun has a total of 5x
    Damage Points.

Bombing Run
    If possible, the Defending Player should also add a 2xseater fighter/bomber to his force. This aeroplane is equipped with enough bombs for one bombing run on the crashed prototype or one of the Attacking Players mobile AA guns.

A bombing run may be undertaken using the rules for bombing found on Page 18 of the ‘Flight of the Giants’ supplement. If the 2xseater aeroplane suffers, as a result damage, an ‘observer wounded/incapacitated’ result before the crashed prototype is destroyed it may not make any further bombing runs, in addition to it not being able to fire any gun manned by the observer (if applicable).

‘Burning Drachens’ (for AA Gun rules) and ‘Flight of the Giants’ (for Bombing rules) are available for free download on the ‘Support’ page at: www.fantasyflightgames.com

Support and friendly advice for both beginner and experienced players can be found at the aerodrome forum at:
    www.wingsofwar.org

Mission Counters

Crashed Aeroplane

Mobile AA Guns

If you are unable to find suitable representations for the crashed prototype aeroplane and mobile AA guns, the counters (above) can be cut out and used, with the red dot on each one representing its bombing point.

The "Crashed Aircraft Terrain" is awesome... add another thing to my list of upcoming projects now!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Yet another good example of the talent posessed by the members on this site. What a forum we have. Another mentioned in dispatches for this one.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The crashed aeroplane is really nice! Even the mission pictures.
    Attilio

I submitted my entry as a PDf file and forgot about it also having to be posted in a thread on the forum which means the photographic counters won't show up. If anyone wants a PDF copy of the mission just PM me with your email address and let me know how you got on with it.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Thumbs up Nice Job Shaun

Shaun,

I really like the idea of centering the focus to one location with just a few A/C. This is very important for those who may be starting out and just have a few aircraft. In otherwords, this scenario is for everyone.

It provides a lot of tug and pull...Do I go for the prototype or attack other contenders.

Everytime you play it would have a different feel.

I would very much like to see the pix.

This is an excellent pick up game for a con.

Thanks for the submission.

Erin

Yet another great scenario from our talented members. It'll take me all of 2011 to play all these great missions!

Woooooww. Now that is an awesome scenario! Can't wait to try it!

Hunter