Ares Games

Thread: Albatross DIII and DVa questions

Aiden2160

Default Albatross DIII and DVa questions

Hello all. I enjoy flying both versions of the Albatross, but have great difficulty in overcomming the allied planes. (My mechanics dope my plane with gasoline and I have a slight problem with catching on fire.) I have read the sticky that contains the general notes on their characteristics, but I wanted to check with the experienced pilots out there and get your thoughts and the tactics that you use with them to overcome your opponent. Also, how do you mitigate the fact that they don't have any special manouvers?

Thanks,

Aiden

If you use them in the correct war period the DIII will match nieuports and early british planes very well in speed turn radius and the A guns make it very useful.
    With faster planes you could use turns to overwhelm your opponents(Camels Spad XIII and so on)
    DVa s are used as energy fighters so use mainly their speed.
    The germans in WWI used to get in the dogfight with the DrI triplanes and used the DVa to shot down the opponents that tried to escape the fight

It's like porcupines making love ... it has to be done very carefully to be successful !
    Tobia is right - use the D.Vs speed: get in, strike & get out fast; don't get either into a right hand turning fight with a Camel - go the other way; (in otherwords know your enemy) use the Immelman to your full advantage (and any other manoeuvres you allow eg loops, cubans etc); plan well ahead and fight dirty !!!

"He is wise who watches"

What is your flying style?? Every person in this game thinks a little differently when it comes to turning or speed, one or the other. Determine which you prefer, and use that tactic. I personally enjoy having moderated speed and good turning. (Albatros DIII)

When taking on allied planes from any period, I prefer the maneuverability of the D.III.

That being said though, with series IV released, I prefer the durability of the Pfalz D.III!

Yeah you can think of the pfalz like an improved alb DIII
    Personally I like the DIII more than the DV but as soon as i can get a Dr1 or a DVII...

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It's like porcupines making love ... it has to be done very carefully to be successful !
    Tobia is right - use the D.Vs speed: get in, strike & get out fast; don't get either into a right hand turning fight with a Camel - go the other way; (in otherwords know your enemy) use the Immelman to your full advantage (and any other manoeuvres you allow eg loops, cubans etc); plan well ahead and fight dirty !!!
    Well put, Dave. That's pretty much how I look at it. With the D.Va you have to use it's only advantage - speed - to score quick hits and then get out of harms way, while using the Immelmann to stay on the offensive. But against more maneuverable planes you simply have to plan ahead and stay out of a turning fight. Dave also made the point of knowing the enemy, which I also said in my Sticky. This is vitally important when flying the less maneuverable planes because you are already at a disadvantage going in.

Aiden2160

Thanks very much for the replies. I love the way the albatross' look and hope to get better with them. This advice will help greatly. I tend to work more towards the turning fight, so that seems to be some of my problem. I will practice more of a shoot and scoot style.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Aiden2160; 12-10-2010 at 19:49.

Normally I can answer any question you have, but right now, I can only give you what you already have been given by my dad or some one else. Sorry!

Hunter

Similar Missions

1. DVa or DIII??
    By Hamburger in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 15:27
  2. Pfalz DIII vs DIIIa
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2010, 00:42
  3. Albatross Family
    By Hamburger in forum WGF: Historical Discussions