Ares Games

Thread: What are you reading?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Default What are you reading?

Sso what are you currently reading in the downtime between patrols? just post a pic of the cover,title and a brief description.

I'll start

Edgar Rice Burroughs A princess of mars. The first in the John Carter series and a seriously good yarn.

When not facing my foe in a life or death struggle not to get too many damage cards, I prefer an intellectual read.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mag001.jpg  

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeever View Post
    When not facing my foe in a life or death struggle not to get too many damage cards, I prefer an intellectual read.
    Not quite what I meant but when you've finished with it pass it over

I'm reading "The Runes of the Earth" by Stephan R. Donaldson.

I absolutely love the Mars series by Burroughs. I just hope they don't ruin the movie.

Just about finished the Diary of a Night Bomber then I'm moving on to Cavalry of the Sky. Although the Diary is mainly about the run up to the war with only the last quarter or so about raids, its well worth reading.

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival

A true story about a man eating Siberian Tiger and the people sent to take it down.

Quote Originally Posted by chub View Post
    Not quite what I meant but when you've finished with it pass it over
    Hey you asked what I was currently reading . I just finished Keegan's The First World War to be more subject/thread oriented.

BTW, I've read all of Burrough's Barsoom series and love it. Anxiously looking to the big screen version John Carter of Mars, due out next year.

I have just about read myself into a depression, Russian Revolution 1894-1922,Gomorrah, Wasting Police Time, just startedMao's Great Famine, I have a lovely big expensive comic..... sorry, Graphic Novel which I cannot get my hands on until Christmas Day So Mao's madness it is........

I forgot to mention my dirty secret, after more than thirty years without reading fiction I read those Vampire novels by a woman!
    Last edited by Belis4rius; 12-11-2010 at 01:12.

A World Undone by G.J. Meyer. A well written and entertaining history.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A World Undone.jpg  
    Last edited by tuladin; 12-08-2010 at 13:01.

I'm reading a Flashman novel...2 to go for the series.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flashman.jpg  

Redhift - its a compilation of short stories, "speculative" fiction... most of the ones I have read so far are not bad at all!

I am also almost embarrassed to mention that I am re-reading the last Harry Potter book... I think J.K. Rowling is a bit of a genius!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails redshift.jpg  
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Ah!...the wife has read all the HPs...more than once...I have seen all the movies with her...more than once...got to get a flying broom though

_Steeds of Steel_, Harry Yeide -- US mechanized cavalry in WW2.

Just finished re reading the Spy by Clive Cussler, his newest series. Set in the early 1900s, a very fun series!

I'm reading "As the World Dies - Fighting to Survive". It's the second book of a trilogy about zombies taking over the world. I read alot of zombie apocalypse novels. The best one so far is "Day by Day Armaggedon".

I am currently reading the following:

Osprey's book on Pfalz fighters of WWI (D.III, D.IIIa, D.VIII & D.XII)
    A book titled "Taliban" (author and subject escape me at the moment)
    and
    "A Salty Piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffett

Eclectic, no?

I am reading the first book for, well... somewhat obvious reasons; the second, as part of a "know thy enemy" thing, in preparation for my next deployment, and the last one, because I'm a bit of a "parrot Head" and because Jimmy is, (even more so than a musician) a great story teller.

Chris

Just about to start "First Blitz" I got it out of the Library some years ago but now have my own copy, bought for me as a Christmas pressie by my son. With all these forthcoming bombing raids due, I thought I'd better get back up to speed on the topic.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I just finished the Hardback comic "Charley's War The Great Mutiny" well when I say read looked at pictures and talk balloons
    Also in process of reading ospreys Sopwith Triplane Aces. I like my Tripehound and in the middle of the latest Horus Heresy book

Jones the dice

Currently ploughing my way through the Sharpe books, read the first three in chronological order but can't find Sharpe's Trafalgar in any of the book shops in Cardiff, going to start Sharpe's Prey today.

I'm reading 'Flying Fury' by McCudden
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Just started re reading Eight Bells by Dan Gallery. Found it on ebay and couldn't resist it. And all you guys talking Barsoom, means I will have to dig out my copies and read them again!

An "apocalyptic fable for terrible times". Blurs the line even more between his "normal" books and his SF ones.

Just a quickie chaps, recomend a book called Seven Men of Gascony by RF Delderfield for any Napoleonic fan out there, in my humble opinion a brilliant book.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Well I have finished the first of the Barsoom series and I am currently considering my next read most likely either a Black Library novel or a Robert Rankin one. Just a quick note for anyone whos interested the John Carter/Barsoom series are available for free download from feedbooks

One Bullet Away - The Making of a Marine Officer by Nathaniel Fick. He was the LT of the Marine Recon platoon featured in Generation Kill.

"He is wise who watches"

Chub, a new Caiphas Cain novel is coming out this month!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stewart
    Sorties Flown

See that whats this thread is about. People say what they are reading and it inspires others to buy that novel or reminds them that a new one is coming.
    @ Kevin I will have to look for that one, you gotta love Flashman in the 41st milennia

Roger THAT!

Hun in the sun

Just finished The Book Thief, now I am on Band of Brothers

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (I'm on Thirteen Gun Salute)
    The Clockwork Three
    Last stand of the Tin Can Sailors
    Japanese Army Aces of WWII

Several more on deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    I'm reading "As the World Dies - Fighting to Survive". It's the second book of a trilogy about zombies taking over the world. I read alot of zombie apocalypse novels. The best one so far is "Day by Day Armaggedon".
    Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    An "apocalyptic fable for terrible times". Blurs the line even more between his "normal" books and his SF ones.
    Now those all sound like books that would be right up my alley! Will have to reserve them from the Library after the Holidays! Or maybe I will get lucky and score a Barnes and Noble or Amazon Gift Certificate this year!!! I probabaly deserve coal... but a guy can hope!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

just started into Juno Beach by Mark Zuehlke. Absolutely hard to put down. All of Mark's books are good, but Juno is really great. And for those who don't know it's about the assault of the Canadians on D-Day.

At last a book about the Brits (Canadians) on D-Day, I'll certainly be getting that one.

(disclaimer: I am not one for denegrating the American contribution to the war in Europe, I know better, but I am miffed that home grown historians seem to have a large hole when it comes to us hitting the beaches)

Two books at the moment depending on my mood, re-reading the first book in Bernard Cornwall "Aurther" series and Darwin's theory of evolution. I have got to admit I like my clasical author's such as Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations or Machavellies the Prince and others.

I'm currently (re)reading for the 'nth.' time William E, Burrows paperback version of 'Richtofen' . It was bought by myself many years ago and still sits on the bookshelf alongside my hardback copy of 'The Red Knight of Germany' by Floyd Gibbons (rescued from my father's bookshelf after his death).

But I digress, I just love Burrow's description of a D.H.2 starting up...

'He flipped the switch that sent electricity to the engine behind him. When the current and the gas in the engine's cylinders touched, there was a loud sneeze, which sent a shudder through the wooden box, along the intricate network of crisscrossing cables, and out over the large, cloth-covered wings. The little engine caught and settled into a more or less even roar. Blue smoke came out of the cylinders in thin streams and was drawn back into the propeller, where it was chewed up and sent tumbling into the mud and wet grass behind the airplane. The noise was loud and irritated even the few men at Bertangles who liked D.H. 2's.'

Lovely, evocative stuff!

Similar Missions

1. Books-Suggest good reading
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 22:50
  2. Suggested Reading
    By CrackerJack in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-28-2010, 20:47
  3. Warfare Reading Nov
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room