Ares Games

Thread: OTTBE Mission 16 - Flashes Breaking Point 21st June 1918

Default OTTBE Mission 16 - Flashes Breaking Point 21st June 1918

2Lt Claude Back was not a happy man - he was an angry, frustrated man. He was a veteran of many missions but without score for many months due to ill fortune, bad timing, or, both. It was too much. He'd had enough and decided to do something about it. Over the last week he'd got his ground crew to prepare the Dolphin on the QT, every bullet checked, engine tuned, everything taut and following Dawn Patrol he'd leapt straight into the Dolphin and roared off toward the front spoiling for a fight.
    (Level 2 Skills selected - Acrobatic pilot; Dedicated ground Crew; Marksman)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_9425.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	234118

Many miles behind the enemy lines a lonely Albatros C.I, way past its prime and probably being used as a squadron hack, was the first thing he came across, it was low and flying the same direction. The Hun was not asleep though and began to circle left.

Name:	SAM_9427.JPG 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	234119

Back approached it warily, side slipping deeply, turning way before turning back in looking for an opportunity to pounce, the Albatros continued circling left as, keeping his distance, Back watched his target keenly. Heart pounding he decided on his move. Turning away from the target once more...
    He threw his machine into an Immelmann - the Albatros had kept circling and appeared before him - he was going to catch him !

Name:	SAM_9433.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	234120

Falling on the Albatros in a blind spot he opened fire from short range - his savage burst wreaking havoc on the enemy machine..

Name:	SAM_9434.JPG 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	234121
    (marksman skill used- two out of four selected at close range)

As the Albatros staggered away the gunner seizes an opportunity to hit back and causes some minor damage reminding Back he is not infallible

Name:	SAM_9435.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	234122

Back, surprised by his own actions circles round marvelling in his new found skills - It worked once already - he Immels once again and turns in to meet the Albatros head on - his rounds smash into the engine area

Name:	SAM_9438.JPG 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	234123

The Albatros coughs white smoke from its exhaust and falls from the sky: A kill !

Name:	SAM_9439.JPG 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	234124

Even as the Albatros falls a second machine - a C.III hoves into view below and to his left, climbing the best it can.

Name:	SAM_9442.JPG 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	234125

Back circles carefully in onto the C.III. The pilot Vzfwbl Josef Bauers climbs toward him as they close but the opportunity's missed as the pass each other very closely - as they separate The C.III's observer Ltn Ludwig Lenz shows he's no slouch on the gun and peppers the Dolphin as the Albatros continues its turn. Back will have to watch this one.

Name:	SAM_9446.JPG 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	234126

Back slips sideways deep left , turns right then reefs it tighter dropping into the blind spot of the Albatros - he gets a shot away the damage is relatively light (2) but at closer range with his new found skill it has greater effect and Lenz goes down under the barrage of fire.

Name:	SAM_9449.JPG 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	234127

The Albatros staggers away sorely damaged, Back powers away expecting but getting no fire; he Immels back and notices a blur of white off to his left coming straight for him - a Tripehound !

Name:	SAM_9456.JPG 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	234128

Back doesn't panic, he slides in behind the Albatros and calmly finishes it off. Kill 2 !

Name:	SAM_9459.JPG 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	234129 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_9460.JPG 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	234130

Back chooses to turn left to get behind the white Dr.1 as it had over shot but it reverses. They both close so rapidly neither gets a shot off before they pass narrowly avoiding collision - Back Immels immediately and rains fire down upon the Tripe

Name:	SAM_9463.JPG 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	234132

The Dr.1 breaks hard right Back follows him round in like fashion and fires a snap shot at long range

Name:	SAM_9466.JPG 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	234133

The Tripe Immels again and Back loses contact, now he must chase him round and round

Name:	SAM_9468.JPG 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	234134

A new opponent soon appears below and to Backs front heading away, The new machine reverses as Back goes after the Dr.1

Name:	SAM_9472.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	234135

Finally Back meets the Dr.1 in a head on pass - even at long range Back knows he hit the pilot as his rounds lance into the tripelane

Name:	SAM_9474.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	234136

Badly damaged, the pilot Ltn Egon Kosmahl wounded, the Dr.1 heads for the barn but Back catches him at long range and down he goes - Kill 3 !

Name:	SAM_9478.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	234137 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_9480.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	234138

No rest for the wicked though - the Hannover is circling in rapidly and Back turns to face him. They pass without exchanging and Back Immels catching the Hannover almost head on as it tries to curve in behind him - the pilot does not have a shot but his gunner, Ltn Hans Raspe, does - firing over the top wing the damage caused is light but the Parabellum jams !

Name:	SAM_9482.JPG 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	234139

The Hannover's Mercedes engine blows smoke as Back slips past. They circle back toward each other - this time the Hannover gets the shot and the pilot, Fwbl Gustav Parlow lets rip damaging Back's controls. The observer has a go too as they pass once more and causes further control damage.

Name:	SAM_9484.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	234140 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_9485.JPG 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	234141

Controls damaged Back makes off but not too fast, luring the Hannover in. Controls freed he Immels again managing to get into a blind spot he opens up at close range and sets the already smoking Hannover on fire

Name:	SAM_9488.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	234142

Slipping behind the two seater he is too high to be in the blind spot but the gunner's rounds are wild - maybe the fire put him off ! The next burst from the gunner jams his gun

Name:	SAM_9489.JPG 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	234143 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_9490.JPG 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	234144

Fire has taken its toll and Back swoops in for the kill shot - Down it goes - Kill 4

Name:	SAM_9492.JPG 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	234145 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_9493.JPG 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	234146

Back keeps turning - he knows what's coming on fast having glimpsed a flash of yellow as he started his last attack on the Hannover

Name:	SAM_9494.JPG 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	234147

Head to head he exchanges with the yellow D.VII - Something breaks up front but the D.VII is done for - Boom ! Down he goes - kill 5 !

Name:	SAM_9500.JPG 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	234148 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_9497.JPG 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	234149

Nothing else turns up as Back limps toward home and he brings the damaged Dolphin in with five victories in the bag. Now all he has to do is face the music from Uncle... maybe he should turn back and look for another Hun !

Name:	SAM_9498.JPG 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	234150

Butchers Tally:

Alb C.I:
    crew: SD-FT 0 kills
    Pilot Rolled 9 -1SD = 8 Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario Rolled 6 = Skip 2
    Observer Rolled 4 -1SD = 3 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 3 = skip 3

Alb C.III:
    Vzfwbl Josef Bauers: SD-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 2 -1SD = 1 KIA

Ltn Ludwig Lenz: SD-FT/WIA/ 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -1SD -1WIA = 5 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 1 = skip 1

Dr.1:
    Ltn Kosmahl: SD-FT/WIA 0 kills
    Rolled 5 -1SD -1WIA = 3 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios . Rolled 1 = skip 1

Hannover CL.IIIa
    Fwbl Gustav Parlow: SD-FLM-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 5 -2FLM = 3 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios . Rolled 3 = skip 3

Ltn Hans Raspe: SD-FLM-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 6 -2FLM = 4 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios . Rolled 2 = skip 2

Fok D.VII:
    Ltn Richard Pütz: SD-EXP-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 4 -3EXP = 1 KIA

Sopwith Dolphin:
    2Lt Claude Back: Forced RTB - 5 Kills
    DFC & CdG awarded - Acrobatic Pilot I & Marksman I - no promotion.

I subbed in an Albatros C.I for an easy meat option in the same way as the BE2c because I had one and as luck would have it that's what I rolled up as the first plane I met.
    Made a couple of errors that I found during play and reviewing pics - Back took an A hit when it should have been a B, Kosmahl took a +1 when he shouldn't have but I let that kill stand as he would have been hit on the way out on the next card had he stayed in the air and it would have been a 4.
    Probably should have picked different skills but they worked out for him - Thoroughly enjoyed it but then you only sing when you're winning !
    Last edited by flash; 10-06-2017 at 04:09. Reason: Medal Correction

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nicely done Dave. It's going to be interesting to see what skill combination everyone uses.
    5 Ks not bad for a veteran pilot. As you said, now to face Uncle and see what kind of tune he plays you.

Thumbs up

Wow! what a performance from young Claude.
    Fantastic use of the Ace skills Dave.
    Hope Uncle goes a bit easy on him after that effort!

"Now look here, Fenstermacher ... that's how it's done!"

A lot of similarities to mine in your story, Dave, except Back seems to have the good side of the luck coin.
    Congratulations to your one-mission ace.

Wondered why you shelved the 4 + Smoke for a simple 4 in this one:

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	234261

Sure would like that Marksman II all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ....A lot of similarities to mine in your story, Dave, except Back seems to have the good side of the luck coin.
    Funnily enough I thought that too Pete. Not sure now why I didn't go with the smoke I think it was because he only had a couple of points left and it was unlikely to be another smoke.
    Thanks chaps, glad you all enjoyed it, look forward to seeing how the other chaps get on with this one.

Excellent Dave. Five kills on one mission. How often does that happen? The ace skills make a huge difference of course, but you still have to use them well. Well done to 2nd Lt C Back for doing just that. Guess he'll be looking over his shoulder for the CO though!!!
    Regret, REP gun jammed

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    ...Five kills on one mission. How often does that happen? ...
    Only as often as I get level two ace skills I expect ! It made such a difference being able to chuck the SE around the sky without penalty and deliver high level damage !

Really nice to see the ace skills used in a Dolphin. Thats a plane that can take advantage of acrobatic pilot II.

Back finally got what he deserves for all the flying he's done. Excellent job!

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTBE Mission 16 Breaking Point--21 June 1918
    By Setarius in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-25-2017, 17:45
  2. AAR OTT-BE Mission 16 The Breaking Point - June 21 1918 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-25-2017, 17:32
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-05-2017, 11:23
  4. AAR OTTBE-Mission 8-Bag The Big Gun-21st Feb 1918-BB401