Ares Games

Thread: Wing of War at SPARTACON XXI

Default Wing of War at SPARTACON XXI

Greetings fellow fliers,

I would like to announce that I will be hosting a Wings of War: WWI game at the SPARTACON XXI historical miniatures gaming convention on 8 January, 2011 in Lansing, Michigan (USA). This will be a 4-hour long game. At this time, I do not have a scenario in mind (depends a bit on what Santa brings me), nor do I know which session the game will be run. I do not have a player limit in mind either (any suggestions from the "old pros" out there). I hope to recruit more players throughout the region, so only basic rules will be used. I will actually be hosting two games at this year's con, Wings of War and Ambush Alley/Force on Force. For more information on the game con, check out their website.

So, fuel up your planes and set course for Lansing, for the best little game con this side of the pond and east of the Rockies!

Hope to see you there,

Chris Maes

Oooh...would love to come...but January in MI is a bit too rough for me...maybe some folks from the Northern OH area can make it?

SPARTACON-WoW update

Looks like I will be running my Wings of War: WWI game first session, that is 0900-1300 hrs. Scenario still to be determined. Number of players: undetermined, though I could probably easily handle 6-8 new players, more if they are experienced.

FYI- I will be running a "Thunder Run" scenario for Ambush Alley/Force on Force second session (1400-1800 hrs).

Chris

Default Spartacon..........

I would love to be there..lets just hope the weather cooporates!!! NO SNOW!

Well Chris it looks like I will be there with at least 2 others from the Traverse City Flight of the Michigan Squadron (weather permitting) I also sent the word out to the Branch County Flight that we would like to have a meet at Spartacon. Do you need extra aircraft and cards? If I can make it I will bring my hanger full. They are mostly mid war aircraft.

I might be up to making this event. Will the games be with altitude or no.?

Maybe you can post a link? ...don't forget some pics and after-action reports as well.

I (or we) can definately post an AAR with some pics after the event.

Re: Available aircraft- I currently have (or should have in the next week) the following:

2x (UK) Sopwith Camel
    1x (UK) S.E.5a
    2x (US) SPAD XIII
    1x (US) Breguet Br.14 B2
    1x (Be) Sopwith Camel
    1x (Be) R.E.8

2x (Ger) Fokker Dr.I
    3x Albatros D.Va
    2x Pfalz D.III
    1x Rumpler C.IV

Plus whatever flys in to my aerodrome on Christmas morning, courtesy of Ritter von Klaus. Hopefully, this will also include a balloon.

If you are putting out the word to recruit for the event, please ask people to bring their own aircraft if they want to fly in their personal colors (I'd love to see some other people's custom buids and repaints.

Here is what I'm thinking... I have a 4-hour block for the game. I will use the first 30min, or so, for "pilot training" (including basic maneuverins and aerial gunnery) for new recruits, and for veterans to assist in training, as well as boning up on such things as ground attack (strafing and bombing) and anti-balloon operations. Then, I'll get on with the scenarios (about an hour to and hour-and-a-half, each), possibly including the following missions: bombing, photo recon, aerial observation, balloon busting and ground attack. Perhaps, the outcome of the first mission will affect the set-up of the second mission.

I am open for suggestions or comments.

Chris

P.S.- I am really eager to meet some other members of the Michigan Squadron.