Ares Games

Thread: Battle of Britain Memorial Flight grounded

Default Battle of Britain Memorial Flight grounded

News item this morning stating that the Lancaster, two Hurricanes and three Spitfires of the BBMF have been grounded due to engine issues. Three other Spits with different engines (presumably the later Griffin marks) were 'unavailable for other reasons'.

In their announcement, BBMF states:

“A routine engine inspection has highlighted a fault with one of our Merlin engines. Consequently, purely as a precaution, we have taken the decision to temporarily pause flying of our aircraft powered by Merlin engines. We will advise further as soon as we are able to. We are still operating our Griffon engined Spitfire. We realise the disappointment this will be to our many supporters and Airshow organisers; however, safety is our paramount concern.”
    Last edited by Guntruck; 08-16-2017 at 22:53.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Hope they get it sorted pronto...................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Better safe on the ground than a failure mid air. What a loss that would be.
    Those guys know their stuff, i'm sure they can solve the problem or 3D print a new component

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Safety first is paramount. Don't want a disaster happening. No need to rush the job either just make sure it's done correctly and the problem is ironed out.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Glad they caught the problem before they were in the air. Rather they sit on the ground then someone get killed in an accident.

Thumbs up

Sensible precaution.
    We do not want to lose a Pilot or Aircraft by engine failure.

With such priceless historic aircraft it is only sensible to take every precaution.

Notable: It's an engine problem, and all the acft. use the same type of engine.

Can anyone say "point failure threat"?

I presume that there is a network of Merlin powered aircraft users and the other users have been notified. I wonder whether the same fault applies to the Packard built Merlin engines and whether all the Mustangs in the U.S.A. will have to be grounded.

Latest on the grounding:

New details have been released on the grounding of warbirds operated by the RAF’s Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) after the discovery of a “fault” relating to the Merlin engine.

A Ministry of Defence (MOD) investigation has reportedly traced the issue to a pinion gear, a development that will allow for inspections to confirm that the components meet the MOD’s exacting standards.

As previously reported, the discovery of an issue earlier this month led to BBMF implementing a pause on flights of their Merlin-powered aircraft, leaving their upcoming schedule of appearances in doubt.

The MOD reports that the BBMF and industry are “putting all of our efforts into getting these beautiful aircraft safely back in the air as soon as possible” – although it is not known whether the machines will be ready in time for the inaugural Scampton Airshow in early September.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Sounds like they know what they're working with, now they just have to deal with it. Wonder how many man hours per engine that entails ?!
    At least we may get to see something back in the air at some point. Thanks for the update Steve.

"He is wise who watches"

Saw a Spitfire circling over Exeter airport on Thursday afternoon, so they are not all grounded. Sounded amazing My daughter and her family live quite near by and this one flew right over their house, quite low. Then it circled round and landed. So the grand children were pretty excited about that.

Probably not a BBMF one Mike unless they have one back in the air - I saw one pass over near us a couple of days ago, probably a privately owned one, there's a two seat operating out of Chichester still I think.

"He is wise who watches"

The Griffon engined Spitfires are not grounded, only the ones with Merlin engines.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 00:01
  2. AAR Battle of Britain Scenario 1a: Destroy Reinforcement Flight
    By Steel Legion in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-26-2014, 01:45
  3. Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
    By phililphall in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 13:32
  4. Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF)
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 02:49
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 11:21