Ares Games

Thread: Father's Day at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Default Father's Day at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

My youngest daughter takes me every Father's Day to the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome for the museum and airshow. I've finally gotten around to posting the pictures from this year in my photo album on my profile page. Any help identifying the antique civilian aircraft that flew that day would be much appreciated. I've attached here two of my favorites. One of the exact replica of Lindbergh's "Spirit of St. Louis" that they fly at Saturday airshows. Until I got up close to it I never realized there is no front window for the pilot -- he must fly the plane via a periscope that can be seen projecting from the left side of the aircraft. In the album (but not here) is a close up picture of me near a Siemens Schuckert wearing an "official" Wings of Glory shirt (I am nothing if not a company man). I have not included it here out of consideration for those digesting a recently consumed meal. The second picture attached is, of course, me brushing up on my wing walking on an original Jenny...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhinebeck 18.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	230325

Name:	Rhinebeck 6.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	230326
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 08-14-2017 at 16:56.

Name:	IMG_4553.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	230327

This is a photo of my wife ( the short one) with a wonderful lady that gave us a great talk while we were there.

Thanks for the photos, Bob -- looks like your wife was having fun !
    Bill

Great photographs, Bill and Bob!

Thanks for sharing your album, Bill.
    Rep inbound.
    I especially like the one with the Camel and Dr.1 in the same frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Thanks for sharing your album, Bill.
    Rep inbound.
    I especially like the one with the Camel and Dr.1 in the same frame.
    Much appreciated!
    best,
    Bill

Thumbs up

Thanks to the two "B's" for those great pics.

hahahaha looks more like desperate "wing clinging"!!!

Louis Strange, anyone?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I agree that the shot with the Camel and DrI is awesome.

Even if the Camel's a SPAD, picture #10 is a great shot!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Bill the wife was the one that went into the building then came and found me and said I had to go in an see what was there. We must have spent 1/2 hour there with her. She was fantastic talking about the Aerodrome and the plane. The visit was great but she made it much better. I recommend the place to anyone who visits the area.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Bill the wife was the one that went into the building then came and found me and said I had to go in an see what was there. We must have spent 1/2 hour there with her. She was fantastic talking about the Aerodrome and the plane. The visit was great but she made it much better. I recommend the place to anyone who visits the area.
    I second that opinion strongly -- its a major cool place to visit. Lots of history in the area to see as well (Vanderbilt Estate, Ogden Mills Mansion, FDR National Historic site, not to mention West Point). It seems to me you owe your wife a nice dinner out for finding that for you !!!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Even if the Camel's a SPAD, picture #10 is a great shot!
    the joys of viewing on a phone with old eyes ...

We were in the area to visit family so it worked out getting there. those paintings in the hangers were something to see along with the cars and motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    We were in the area to visit family so it worked out getting there. those paintings in the hangers were something to see along with the cars and motorcycles.
    The paintings are pretty nifty...did they have the WW I tank running around the day you were there?

I just checked your album and great photos. No the tank was not there and neither was the SPAD. I wanted to see the SPAD but it had landing gear problems ( a crash in PA) so wasn't there. However I go to a show in Nokesville VA and they have a FT17 that they ran out of the garage. I will be heading there again this Sept. I also saw that the Ft. Meade museum has a FT 17 they just put on display. I have to stop buy there one day when I am on post and see what it looks like.

Name:	IMG_4344.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	230411

BobP -- very nice photo -- they had it running around last year when I was there and it broke down mid show -- this year it was a static display.
    Bill

For a 100 year old tank just that it starts yet alone runs and moves is something to see.

Similar Missions

1. National: Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome Pics
    By Teaticket in forum US Wing
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-30-2016, 18:51
  2. Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome
    By Raege in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 05:14
  3. Pics from Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome
    By jbmacek in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 30