Tony Holmes (Editor)
    ISBN:
    13: 978 0 7858 3028 3
    Category:
    History
    Format:
    Hardback
    Summary:
    This book is an anthology compilation of 5 books previously published by Osprey. It features detailed history and analysis of 10 planes of World War II from the four major air forces that fought each other. The planes are examined in pairs (hence the book subtitle).

Each chapter begins with a full page color illustration of the subject planes locked in combat -- the example I've given below is the chapter featuring the P-40 and Ki-43 "Oscar."

Additionally, the book is replete with beautiful color renderings of all the planes in action. I have included an example of a 2 page depiction of the Spitfire and Bf 109E locked in combat.

Another interesting artwork feature are the 360 degree depiction of the planes. Each one is seen in a full color rendering from the top, side, and front views. The example I have enclosed here is of the Mitsubishi A6M "Zero."

Perhaps my favorite feature of the book is the cockpit comparisons. The cockpits of the two planes examined in each chapter are depicted alongside each other with every instrument numbered and labeled.
    The example included here is the cockpit comparison of the P-40E/N and the Ki-43 "Oscar."

For the techies in the room, each chapter includes a chart comparing the technical specifications of the subject aircraft. I have included here an example of the Bf 109E-3 versus the Spitfire 1A chart.

As can be seen in the example of the technical specs, each chapter is also loaded with historical photos as well as profiles of pilots who excelled in the aircraft examined. Included here is an example of the profile of P-47 pilot Francis S. Gabreski who had 28 European Theater victories.

As indicated in the opening of this review, this book is a compilation of the following books previously published individually by Osprey: "Spitfire vs Bf 109: The Battle of Britain" (by Tony Holmes); P-47 Thunderbolt vs Bf 109 G/K: Europe 1943-45" (by Martin Bowman); "P-40 Warhawk vs Ki-43 Oscar: China 1944-45 (by Carl Molesworth); "P-51 Mustang vs Fw 190: Europe 1943-45" (by Martin Bowman); and "Seafire vs A6M Zero: Pacific Theater" (by aDonald Nijboer). If you purchased these individually you may not wish to have this book. I found it invaluable to have them all gathered in one hardbound book.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogfight 10.jpg   Dogfight 7.jpg   Dogfight 8.jpg   Dogfight 9.jpg   Dogfight 3.jpg  

Dogfight 1.jpg  

The example of the two page art didn't upload for me, so here it is now (sorry):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dogfight 6.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	230301

Looks interesting, I'll try to get it.

This looks like a good pick-up, Bill. Thanks for the review.

Similar Missions

1. WGSD FW190 Sturmbrocke vs. B-17 Flying Fortress, Europe 1944-45
    By Franco Lucchini in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-22-2016, 08:38
  2. Dogfight - Aerial Tactics of the Aces of World War 1 by Norman Franks
    By Naharaht in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2013, 10:51
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2013, 04:40
  4. WGSE: Duels in the Sky