Ares Games

Thread: Pale leading edges?

peterh58

Default Pale leading edges?

So I'm delighted with my new WGS BoB starter and the Hurricane and Me110 I've also picked up. But I'm a bit puzzled by the pale strip that appears on the edges of wings and tailplanes on my models, for example on the leading edges of the tailplane (see photo). Am I right to think these are not historical markings, rather an artefact of the model's manufacturing process? Do people generally paint over to correct these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AresSpit.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	230285

This has been hashed out before. The edged should be in the camo colors. The planes are colored with decals that do not cover the entire plane. But, for what one gets for the money I'm thrilled. A little touch up with paint takes care of it quickly.

Yeah, not a happy topic, there are many threads on color matching paints . . . search BoB on the site . . .

It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

This is the first place where the issue showed up: WGS Battle of Britain Update - Post # 485

Then, an unboxing thread: Battle of Britain Squadron Packs - Hurricane, Spitfire, Bf109E and Ju87 Stuka

And if someone wanted to redecal an Ares Crappycane, without repainting the edges, I now have a template for a custom card:

Name:	Hawker_Crappycane_Work.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	230303
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

peterh58

Thanks for your patience guys. I clearly need to search the existing threads before I start a new one...

Not always easy to do if you do not know what words to search for. I have done what you did many times Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by peterh58 View Post
    Thanks for your patience guys. I clearly need to search the existing threads before I start a new one...
    I've been absent a while... but the 'Drome had always been a great place to ask questions. No worries on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

And if someone wanted to redecal an Ares Crappycane, without repainting the edges, I now have a template for a custom card:

Name:	Hawker_Crappycane_Work.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	230303

Tongue firmly planted in cheek, no doubt.

indeed it is a leftover from a rather odd manufacturing choice. one would think they would use plastic more the color of the dominant upper surfaces and decal the undersides rather than what they are doing. oh well, still gonna buy them.

There is only one colour on the underside, but two equal-coverage colours on the upper surface.
    They went with the easier (underside) option.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I've been absent a while... but the 'Drome had always been a great place to ask questions. No worries on my end.

Nice to see you are posting agaian Chris .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 06:39