Thread: OTTBE Mission 13--Unlucky for Somme - May 5th 1918

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Cool OTTBE Mission 13--Unlucky for Somme - May 5th 1918

Lt. Richard Forbes:
    Gentlemen we have received word that 2Lt. Callahan survived his misfortune and is currently being held prisoner by the Huns.
    For you new guys 2Lt. Callahan was our units leading Ace. Now that designation falls to Lt. Kilpatrick.
    I cannot stress how important it is to keep looking all directions while you are airborne. You new guys stick close to your lead.
    2Lt. Reeves you will be on my wing. 2Lt. Farr you will fly with 2Lt. Hamlett. 2Lt. Livingston you are paired with Lt. Kilpatrick.
    Gentlemen, if I'm not mistaken we have a couple of Birthdays today, 2Lt. Stanley Livingston and 2Lt. Winklebleck front and center.

Pilots: Singing Happy Birthday.

Lt. Forbes:2Lt. Livingston hopefully you will get a nice birthday present today by shooting down a Hun.
    Good hunting Gentlemen!

Eagles Nest
    3 May 1918

Ltn. Lars Andersen:
    Gentlemen, we are currently short on able bodied men. Since you three just flew in three of the new Fokker aeroplanes you are temporarily assigned to this unit.
    You will be assigned quarters and a veteran pilot to fly as his wingman. Learn all you can from your lead pilot. Once the mechanics check out the new planes we will go up as a group and shake the bugs out.

Lt. Richard Forbes:
    To Uncle:
    What follows is a report on the Mutts actions vs. the Kaiser's Eagles on 5 May 1918 0730 hours.

The Mutts, myself, Lt. James Kilpatrick, 2Lts. Rodger Hamlett, Stanley Livingston, Joseph Farr, and Matthew Reeves took off, paired up and headed for NML for a full force morning patrol. 2Lt. Farr fired a short burst to let us know we had company behind us at about 4 o'clock, about our altitude, and they were coming fast.
    Attachment 230136

Attachment 230137
    We came around to the right to meet them.
    Attachment 230138
    2Lt. Farr (4SMK) got off the first shots at a Candy Striped plane (1). He was shot by a White plane causing heavy damage and SMOKE.
    2Lt. Reeves took a shot at a Blue plane (5) doing heavy damage to it.
    Attachment 230139
    After that all Hell broke loose. Kites were everywhere, some even running into each other, things were so close.
    2Lt. Livingston took a shot as t a Candy Striped plane (EXP, 1NR) causing it to explode and fall to Earth. As the same kite fired at 2Lt. Hamlett (2,3) doing significant damage.
    Kill 2Lt. Livingston *see editors note below.
    A White Hun (4smk) and a Candy Striped (2) one collided.
    A Blue Hun and 2Lt. Reeves collided doing no damage to either plane.
    I took a shot at the lead Blue Hun (1).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170805_140108.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	230140
    We were turning and taking shots where we could without hitting our own planes.
    A White Hun took a shot at Lt. Kilpatrick (0,3P) doing damage causing what later turn out to be a splinter in the right cheek. 2Lt. Livingston took a shot at another Candy Striped Hun (4,1NR) doing heavy damage as it shot at 2Lt. Hamlett (4,1NL) doing similar damage.
    Attachment 230141
    Lt. Kilpatrick took a shot at a White Hun (1NL,0GJ) doing minimal damage before his guns went silent.
    A Candy Striped Hun took a shot at Lt. Kilpatrick (3P,2GJ) causing him to blackout and fall to the ground below. (2 pilot wounds)
    Kill Vzfwbl Otto Albrecht
    Attachment 230142
    2Lt. Livingston got on the tail of one of the White Hun (2NL) kites.
    Attachment 230143
    As the White Huns did a reversal 2Lt. Livingston shot the White Hun (2NR) on the right.
    Attachment 230144
    One of the Blue Hun took a shot at 2Lt. Farr (3) doing moderate damage.
    Attachment 230145

*Editors Note:
    2Lt. Stanley Livingston has 2 Kills on his first shot, both by EXP. The first in the Lost Little Lambs Mission and now this one. I just thought that was interesting.
    Last edited by flash; 08-22-2017 at 01:59. Reason: Title adjust

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

2Lt. Livingston flew between the two White Hun and turned to come around to try to get behind them.
    Attachment 230156
    We were outnumbered 5-4, and with little damage to our planes we stayed and circled to try to get a shot.
    Attachment 230157
    2Lt. Farr and 2Lt. Reevex flew wingtip to wingtip and even made it three wide with a Hun for the pass.
    2Lts. Farr and Reeves shot at a Candy Striped Hun (3)(2FLM) each doing moderate damage with 2Lt. Reeves causing a fire.
    2Lt. Farr (5) took some major damage to his tail and fuselage from a Blue Hun that got behind him.
    Attachment 230158
    The Candy Striped Hun (0) and 2Lt. Farr (6eng)collided causing enough damage to 2Lt. Farrs plane to send it crashing to the ground.
    Kill Vzfwbl Albrecht #2
    Attachment 230159
    After I cleared my guns I took a shot at a White Hun (0) and he shot at me (0) both of us barely missing each other.
    Attachment 230160
    A Blue Hun took a shot at 2Lt. Livingston (1) doing minimal damage.
    Attachment 230161
    I missed my chance at the White Hun but, the Candy Striped (1) one, that was on fire flew into my sights so I shot him doing minimal damage.
    Attachment 230162
    The White Hun took a shot at 2Lt. Reeves (2GJ) and did minor damage before his guns fell silent.
    Attachment 230163
    I got after the White Hun (4SMK,0) causing considerable damage and smoke.
    Attachment 230164
    Everyone started circling around to line up their best shots.
    Attachment 230165
    Last edited by Setarius; 08-11-2017 at 21:53.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

One of the Blue Hun kites took a shot at 2Lt. Reeves (0) but missed, while the other one shot at me (2) doing minor damage.
    Attachment 230166
    2Lt. Reeves (1,3ENG) and a Blue Hun (3,0GJ) exchanged shots with 2Lt. Reeves getting the worst end of the exchange.
    Attachment 230167
    It was at this point I decided to fire the recall flare and try to make it back home.
    Attachment 230168
    As we were trying to get out of there bullets were flying everywhere but, no one was hit.
    Attachment 230169
    2Lt. Livingston (2NR) tok a shot at a White Hun (2NL,1) as the second White Hun shot at him.
    Attachment 230170
    A Blue Hun took a wild shot at 2Lt. Livingston (3ENG,5P) ripping the plane to shreds.
    Attachment 230171
    The Blue Hun again tries for 2Lt. Livingston but misses.
    Attachment 230172
    The Blue Hun stuck to the 2Lt.(1) as he tried to make it home.
    Attachment 230173
    2Lt. Livingston (1,2FLM) didn't quite make it back.
    The Huns ruled the day.
    Kill Fwbl Addix

Additional notes:
    Uncle,
    These new planes the Hun are flying are not really any faster than our Sopwith Camels. They can turn both Left and Right on 5p and give you change as well as turn left or right as good as the Camel.
    There were times when I thought I had a shot lined up just to have the Hun disappear in a turn.
    Were we outgunned? I don't think so, because some of the Hun flew like they had never been in combat.
    Enclosed you will find a drawing of the new Hun kite. I'm no artist but, I think it will be close enough to get an idea of what we were up against.

Happy Cinco de Mayo
    Lt. Richard Forbes
    Forbes Mutts
    Attachment 230174

The Huns Ruled the day
    Last edited by Setarius; 08-11-2017 at 22:16.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Butcher's Bill

Central Powers shot down
    Ltn. Lars Andersen
    C&W Rolled 7-3EXP=4 Rolled 5 Skip 5
    E&E Rolled 11-1EXP-1WIC-1BEL=8 Almost Home SKIP 5
    Attachment 230175

RTB Left to Right

Vzfwbl Otto Albrecht 13 damage Kills 2 drew 3 "0" for fire damage

Ltn. Konrad Dietlin 9 damage

Fwbl Max Güttler 7 damage 4 (FLM) from Collision

Fwbl Rudolf Addix 3 damage Kill 1

Ltn. Hans Hüttenrauch 6 damage
    Attachment 230176

Entente shot down
    Left to Right
    2Lt. Stanley Livingston SD FLM FT Kill 1
    C&W Rolled 7-2FLM=5 Rolled 5 SKIP 3

2Lt. Joseph Farr SD FT
    C&W Rolled 11-1SD=10 All well when you land well

Lt. James Kilpatrick SD 2xWIA
    C&W Rolled 11-1SD-2WIA+1ACE=9 All well when you land well
    Attachment 230177

RTB Left to Right

Lt. Richard Forbes 2 damage

2Lt. Reeves 6 damage

2Lt. Rodger Hamlett 10 damage
    Attachment 230178
    Last edited by Setarius; 08-11-2017 at 21:31.

Another exciting encounter, Dale.
    Glad to see your photo posting problem is long behind you.

The D.VII seems to be making up for losses in many versions of this scenario!
    Good to see all parties, friend and foe, made it home to fly another day.

Those SS planes are the best in the Hun line I reckon. Good to see the original mats too. Thank you for posting.

Those Huns really put it to you this time around. Those Fokker DVIIs will be a tough customer from here on out.

Good to see Kiplatrick make it back ok.

Good effort Dale, your Bulldogs did well to get three home. The D.VIIs are indeed a notch above the Camel in agility, climb rate and durability. Not surprising really given the Camel debuted a full year before the Fokker, but welcome for the Germans who have been soldiering on with the Albatros and Pfalz scouts.

I would REP you but the forum says I have to spread more love around first!

Nicely done Dale, think you meant turn on a sixpence - 6d !
    Uncle won't be back for a week or so but he'll appreciate the drawing I'm sure.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps at least some of you made it back with your kites and remarkably two of the three shot down have come out of the encounter reasonably unscathed which is good news and cause to celebrate along with the one Livingstone bagged. I will forward the sketch to GHQ for the attention of the other squadrons - it sounds like this Fokker will be a menace.

Meanwhile on the other side of the line....
    Vzfwbl Otto Albrecht: Awarded pilots badge & Iron cross 2nd class for his fine efforts & 2 victories first time out,
    Fwbl Rudolf Addix: Awarded pilots badge for his first victory
    Last edited by flash; 08-22-2017 at 02:25.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

What a dogfight that was Dale!
    Good effort from your lads & good to see they all survived.
    Looks like you need some SE 5a's & Dolphins to even the Odds a bit!

Rep inbound!

Uncle has added his thoughts above Dale.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Dale great dogfight it was very touch and go and then the DVII's got the upper hand. Glad the boys made it back ok.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Livingstone - two shots, two kills! I reckon he deserves a shooting "Doctorate" for that piece of skill!!! Sorry, another bad "dad" joke! Great fight there Dale and nicely recounted. I think the recall flare was the sensible option on this occassion! Glad your pilots made it back safely too. Love those early mats

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT BE 13 Unlucky for Somme - Mike's Mission
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2017, 19:48
  2. AAR OTT BE Mission 13 - Unlucky for Somme Flash ! - May 5th 1918
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2017, 19:13
  3. BRF OTTTBE Mission 13, Unlucky for Somme - May 5th 1918 - by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 43