Ares Games

Thread: Game Night v. New Player

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Cool Game Night v. New Player

A quick report on action involving Bobsalt, new player who got his wings at Origins this year and myself, a player of many years.

The Scenario:

Two Stukas, squadron packs, and Balthazar ME109 v. Two Spitfire MK.I, squadron packs.

Game One:

Dale--Germans
    Bob--610 Squadron

We came on the board on opposite corners and flew straight at each other for two turns. The Stukas were wingtip to wingtip with Balthasar trailing. 610 squadron came on wingtip to wingtip also.
    Balthazar moved left to clear the slower planes and turned back right just as the Spits went nose to nose with the Stukas. One of the Spits was set on fire, we later realised it was really just smoking. The Stuka took an engine hit at the same time, but otherwise minor damage.
    Balthazar turned and opened fire just as both Spits Immelmanned, then turned left to get set up for the next pass.
    One of the Spits got on the left rear quarter of a Stuka doing considerable damage including a pilot wound. Balthazar and the other Stuka combined to take down the other Spitfire.
    As the Stuka with the wounded pilot turned right the Spitfire that was left found itself in the middle of all three planes and sustained enough damage to crash.
    The Stukas missed their targets, but survived.
    The three German planes had 10, 12, 10 points of damage.

Game Two:
    We switched sides Bob took the Germans and I took 610 squadron.

We started in basically the same position as the first game. I started one of my Spitfires a base length ahead of the other.

The first turn we came straight at each other. The second turn I split my planes planning on taking the Stukas in the flanks, where they could not shoot back.
    As I turned in for the flank attack Bob swung his Stukas to the right just enough to give him a return shot. Both Stukas took some damage and the Spit coming in from their left took minor damage as well, the other one wasn't shot at.
    One of my Spitfires ended up in the middle of the three ring circus and took 15 points of damage in the volley. That was enough combined with earlier damage to sent it to the ground.
    The remaining Spitfire tried to knock down a Stuka but, Balthazar and his cannon proved too much again and the second Spitfire crashed into the country side.

Two games, similar results, Germans won both.

Thanks Bob for an enjoyable evening.

Thanks Dragon's Hoard Games for having enough space for us to drop in unannounced.

Thanks for the report Dale. I don't what it is but I also seem to have a lot of luck when I fly my Balthasar. I'm running the Luftwaffe OPFOR in the local WGS Polish Air Force campaign where Balthasar has scored three kills in two missions!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-19-2016, 10:28
  2. 10 player WW2 Midway game at our club last night!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2014, 19:10
  3. AAR from Guns of August Game 2: The Japanese Player Perspective
    By ptownhiker in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 10:19
  4. San Antonio Game night
    By sirosis o liver in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2012, 19:30
  5. War Game Night