Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench----AUG

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Yes I may get the extensions they do in the future to make it longer. Although using Bolt Action rules don't want to make it too long. The Pegasus Bridge model they do is a tad longer than the range of a rifle! (In the rules that is).

NEil
    Biggest problem I have with 28mm figs; unless your playing a really big area, like the guys playing "true scale" 15mm at Origins (the playing area was almost the footprint of my house!), you get some serious scale distortion. Everything looks great, but your guns have no range.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Keeping it "All in the Family", how about Lothar von Richthofen?
    Attachment 230065
    Hmm, more painting than I wanted to do Pete but a good suggestion - I was looking at the all red ones with a splash of colour on the nose and elevator.
    Kurt Wolff's was green, Allmenröder's was white I think, Brauneck's was blue, wondering if there are any others ? Not finding much on the net.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Just got back from vacation last week so had a break in my painting Que. So while waiting for a few new armies to get here (40K Imp guard and Bolt action either Italian or Spanish Blue Division for Germany) I have a dozen Zombiecide characters for a buddy on the table and am putting finishing touches on some E-bay fodder to fish for new customers (Late war German Heer army for Bolt Action) Will get pics up as soon as I get stuff finished.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Ever since Clipper let us know about the TANKS! game coming out, I've had a hankerin' to build some tanks, and I've gotten about eight of the official kits. But I also like the Flames of War stuff that isn't available for the new game, so I picked up a Jagdpanzer IV at a local convention for a bargain price to try my hand at tank modeling in 15mm before diving into the deep end with the TANKS! models. Here's the finished version, with some foliage added to try and hide from that pesky cab rank of planes overhead...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	230716

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	230717

Name:	IMG_0984.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	230718

It was a fun little model, and I'm pleased with the results. I am in the process of gluing together several of the plastic TANKS! models to make a go of them. Several of the guys I game with have an interest in armor, too, and we're looking forward to playing some Wings-type games with tanks...

All the best,
    Matt

<- now has a Evil Idea for a _TANKS!_ "Death Match", where any mini which is "destroyed" in-game gets to be on the receiving end of a Very Large Hammer... >;)

Nice job Matt. Years ago used to play a game called TRACTICS. We used 1/72 & 1/76 models. Those TANKS models are easy kits to build from what I have seen. ZVEZDA also makes 15mm tanks for their game and they have many that are early war stuff so you may want to check them out. Just heard that my order with AIM is complete and should be in the mail this week. Adding on to my Italians and 2 additions to the British in Asia. 3 Buffalos built and 2 Blenheim's on the way. Already have the decals from MISCMINI for them.
    I have some photos from Nokesville in my albums (TANKS)
    Last edited by BobP; 08-23-2017 at 16:01.

Tracktics?...still have a copy of that around here somewhere. Used it with microarmor if I remember right. Favorite rules though for microarmor were the Avlon Hills Tobruck rules where one inch was a hex from the gameboard. Best damage charts I ever found, just limited to a very small time frame in the desert war.

It's good to see 15mm tanks catching on. My brother and I have created some rules for a 15mm WW2 tank game based on the Japanese cartoon Girls und Panzer. If anyone is interested here's a link to the rules below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxi...g1SmU1c3c/view

And some AARS

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=393895

Definitely not a historically accurare game but reflects the cartoon well and is good fun to play.

Ian

Matt here are some photos of a StugIII I took at the Reading show in June. You can barely make out the unit patch on the hull.

Name:	IMG_4774.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	230782
    Last edited by BobP; 08-24-2017 at 05:21.

Here is a picture of another Stug that was there. It had the a different gun mount. Also note it only has 5 road wheels which stumped me. Pzkw III's had 6 road wheels so not sure what chassis this is built on. As you can see it is with the GROSSDEUTCHLAND Div. A number of the vehicles there are with that unit. Seems to be a popular unit to re enact.

Name:	IMG_4777.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	230783

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Cool stuff, Bob! They both look like they only have 5 road wheels - but they're pretty good repros nonetheless! I wonder if they used an M-24 or M-42 chassis? The TANKS! Stug III allows the modeler to do either of these gun mounts, and it also allows the StuH 42, mounting the 105 instead of the 75, using either of the mounts. It provides the Schuerzen (side skirts) too, so you can build it with or without...

Great pics to reproduce the camo from, if one is so inclined...

All the best,
    Matt

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Most likely the chassis is the British FV432, it's the most commonly used chassis in such conversions.

Is it a 432? Drive shaft is at the front for a front left mounted engine (FV432, petrol and diesel variants). Unless a lot of conversion to mount the engine at the rear. Plus the 432 only has 2 top return wheels not 3. Also can't see if there is a distinctive gap between last rear road wheel and rear return.

Neil

and shot down by myself......seems you can get a FV432 to Stug III conversion for a neat and nifty £35,000

http://www.elitemilitaria.co.uk/special/4586642966

and they take paypal.
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 08-24-2017 at 09:15.
    See you on the Dark Side......

That's what they used in Band of Brothers isn't it ? Easy took one out with a Bazooka in one of the scenes.

Last edited by flash; 08-25-2017 at 23:57.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Ever since Clipper let us know about the TANKS! game coming out, I've had a hankerin' to build some tanks, and I've gotten about eight of the official kits. But I also like the Flames of War stuff that isn't available for the new game, so I picked up a Jagdpanzer IV at a local convention for a bargain price to try my hand at tank modeling in 15mm before diving into the deep end with the TANKS! models. Here's the finished version, with some foliage added to try and hide from that pesky cab rank of planes overhead...

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	230716

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	230717

Name:	IMG_0984.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	230718

It was a fun little model, and I'm pleased with the results. I am in the process of gluing together several of the plastic TANKS! models to make a go of them. Several of the guys I game with have an interest in armor, too, and we're looking forward to playing some Wings-type games with tanks...

All the best,
    Matt
    Need a card for that?

Name:	German_JdpzIV_L70_Card-1d.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	231323

Disclamer: I have no idea if this has the correct stats, nor attributes.

PS: Re-edited with proper name, as well as with Tanks Forum input. Still may not be correct. Yup, changed the points with more input from Tanks Forum.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-28-2017 at 23:41.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Name:	IMG_4773.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	230788

Another view of the first Stug. You can see the six road wheels better.

I got a ride in a 432 at the tank farm in Va a few years ago. I checked some other photos from there and see how the drive wheel is the same as the one Stug so I bet you are correct that it is a conversion but the other one seems to have everything correct. I have to see if they have a Stug there this year. They do have a Hetzer, the Swiss one I bet.

Name:	DCP_3663.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	278.0 KB 
ID:	230908

Here is a picture of the FV432 you mentioned. I now see how they used this for the Stug chassis.

Is it a 432? Drive shaft is at the front for a front left mounted engine (FV432, petrol and diesel variants). Unless a lot of conversion to mount the engine at the rear. Plus the 432 only has 2 top return wheels not 3. Also can't see if there is a distinctive gap between last rear road wheel and rear return.

Neil

and shot down by myself......seems you can get a FV432 to Stug III conversion for a neat and nifty £35,000

http://www.elitemilitaria.co.uk/special/4586642966

and they take paypal.
    PayPal you say? Well SWMBO has been asking what I want for my birthday, and I was about to replace my car.......
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Um! I know what Gill would say to that too!.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    PayPal you say? Well SWMBO has been asking what I want for my birthday, and I was about to replace my car.......
    See you on the Dark Side......

On my workbench tonight....well I've taken my first plunge into Shapeways Models...arriving today in the mail my first foray into painting for Wings of Glory... two Shapeways SE5a... I don't hope to rival some of the outstanding painting I've seen on this site so far...but I'm going to give it a go nonetheless...I'll post more pics as the project advances...BTW thanks to Teaticket for some great tips on decals for my planes...here I go:
    Fresh out of the package:

Name:	paintingplanes 1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	230915
    Prime coat drying:

Name:	paintingplanes 2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	230916
    More to come as project advances ...I am very excited about this project.

Seem to remember they were using M113 chassis for the Pz III's in a few movies.

Um! I know what Gill would say to that too!.
    Yep, she'd say, "please spell my name correctly, with a J"

I did run it past her but somehow I don't think we are going to get one.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Yep, she'd say, "please spell my name correctly, with a J"

I did run it past her but somehow I don't think we are going to get one.
    Too bad; the neighbors' reaction would be worth the cost of admission
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Wow, Mike! You ARE the master - that card for the Jagdpanzer IV is wonderful Stats-wise I was planning on using the Stug III data, so it's all good...

All the best,
    Matt

Wow, Mike! You ARE the master - that card for the Jagdpanzer IV is wonderful Stats-wise I was planning on using the Stug III data, so it's all good...

All the best,
    Matt
    Matt,
    Things to note: The StuG G used the Pzkw IV long barrel 75mm gun, and the Jdpz IV used the Panther 75mm gun. Lots more punch. The StuG used the Pzkw III chassis with some armor upgrading, where the Jdpz IV used the Pzkw IV chassis with more sloped armor.

The gun and armor raise the price of the unit. BTW: On the Tank Forum, there is an opinion that the StuG G is overpriced. I have no way to gauge either assessment. Tanks Forum - Cracking the Code Post # 68
    Mike

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the info on the Tanks Forum, Mike! As I'm just starting with this game, I haven't really looked at any ancillary resources yet...

The version of the Jagdpanzer IV that I did is the one with the L48 gun, same as was on the Stug IIIG. As I was putting the model together, I did consider doing the L70 gun (same as on the Panther) - I had some brass rod the right size - but decided to go 'straight out of the box' on this first model (aside from the foliage). So maybe gun stats from the Stug III matched to movement from the Pz IV... You're probably right about the vehicle offering a bit more protection compared to the Stug III...

Thanks again for your input and info

All the best,
    Matt

Matt's right about the Jagdpanzer IV - it used both the PzIV 75mm L/48 as well as the 75mm L/70, depending on available guns.
    The L/70 version required the front two road wheels on each side to be replaced by stronger solid wheels to prevent them wearing out owing to excess load.

A large number of StuG IIIG and StuH 42 had a thick layer of concrete added over the frontal armour, to increase forward protection, but this was probably less effective than the thicker, better-sloped armour on the Jagdpanzer IV/70
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks for the info on the Tanks Forum, Mike! As I'm just starting with this game, I haven't really looked at any ancillary resources yet...

The version of the Jagdpanzer IV that I did is the one with the L48 gun, same as was on the Stug IIIG. As I was putting the model together, I did consider doing the L70 gun (same as on the Panther) - I had some brass rod the right size - but decided to go 'straight out of the box' on this first model (aside from the foliage). So maybe gun stats from the Stug III matched to movement from the Pz IV... You're probably right about the vehicle offering a bit more protection compared to the Stug III...

Thanks again for your input and info

All the best,
    Matt
    Revised Fan Card:

Name:	German_JdpzIV_L48_Card-1c.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	231324

Edit: Revised with input from Tanks Forum. Better Initiative, but more points.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-28-2017 at 23:43.
    Mike

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

You and your card-tweaking abilities! Lovely job, Mike - thanks for 'backdating' the card

All the best,
    Matt

Someone got me FOW open fire , so its tanks and 15mm figs to paint in the next few months.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Ah, I am not doing any planes at the mo, I have been totally immersed in painting Star Wars figures for Imperial Assault!

Well received my planes from Dave at AIM so have to work on them. Just started painting the 3 Avengers I have so may be done by the end of the month. The concrete you mention is actually ZIMMERET. It is a paste that was put on to keep magnetic shaped charges from being attached to the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Well received my planes from Dave at AIM so have to work on them. Just started painting the 3 Avengers I have so may be done by the end of the month. The concrete you mention is actually ZIMMERET. It is a paste that was put on to keep magnetic shaped charges from being attached to the tank.
    Actually, no. Some crews did pour concreate on the front glacis for added armor. It didn't add as much protection as the crews thought, and it greatly increased the weight of the tank/SP.
    USA crews did the same with their Shermans. As well as logs, railroad rails etc.
    Karl

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Just picked up a Hetzer from Flames of War yesterday to use in TANKS!, along with a couple of Nieuport 17s to repaint from a great hobby shop in NE Cincinnati yesterday, and just ordered some Shapeways Macchi 202s and 205s, along with British observers firing Lewis guns...all is good with the world!

All the best,
    Matt

No it isn't!

Zimmeritt is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.
    The concrete was simple concrete, added to increase the thickness of the armour, not to prevent magnetic charges being attached.

Yes indeed - concrete was used,

Zimmerit too but that was for a completely different purpose

Sometimes both together

Yes Tim I know ZIMMERET is different from concrete. As I said it was a paste used against magnetic charges not as additional armor. How could a thin paste add additional armor protection? And I also know that both sides used sandbags, logs, armor from other tanks, side skirts and tracks to add protection/additional armor to their tank. The Stug III above has concrete on the upper hull, but additional tracks (extra armor) and ZIMERET on other parts. When you see pictures of Russian tanks in Berlin they have bedsprings attached to their tanks (as do AFV's in Iraq) to detonate Panzerfaust/RPG's since they are a shaped charged weapon.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_53RSwgpGzW...lin_Photos.jpg
    Last edited by BobP; 08-28-2017 at 13:35.

The concrete you mention is actually ZIMMERET.
    Wrong.

The concrete I mentioned was concrete, used to augment armour protection.

Tim that is what I said in another post. Concrete was used as additional armor. I later said ZIMMERET was used for a different purpose. Note the 16:48 post.

Post #83 above.

The concrete you mention is actually ZIMMERET.

WRONG

The concrete I mentioned in post #78 is Concrete, NOT "Zimmeritt"

A large number of StuG IIIG and StuH 42 had a thick layer of concrete added over the frontal armour, to increase forward protection, but this was probably less effective than the thicker, better-sloped armour on the Jagdpanzer IV/70

WOW I just kicked backed for a minute. I thought this was a hobby tread about what people are building. Not to get picky about what people said about what others said. Didn't think that ZIMERET and concrete would create such a controversy.

You implied I don't know the difference between the two.

I have simply set the record straight

Just picked up a Hetzer from Flames of War yesterday to use in TANKS!, along with a couple of Nieuport 17s to repaint from a great hobby shop in NE Cincinnati yesterday, and just ordered some Shapeways Macchi 202s and 205s, along with British observers firing Lewis guns...all is good with the world!

All the best,
    Matt
    Matt,
    The Hetzer isn't listed on the Tanks Forum, yet. I'm asking for input. Then, I'll just need a photo of your new tank to make a card.

Might be a card or two if there are pictures of your planes, perhaps?

PS: Check the above cards, as they have been modified again with more input from the Tanks Forum, too.
    Mike

Name:	DCP_3602.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	231346

Here is a picture of the Hetzer that is usually at the tank show in VA. From things I have read it is likely to one of the Swiss ones.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Very cool, Bob! I think I am going to paint mine up with the 'ambush' pattern shown here - seems they came that way from the factory in late '44...

I actually saw a Swiss Hetzer (with its 90mm cannon) on the road as part of a convoy in Switzerland in '72 - we were on a rather narrow road ready to go through a covered bridge, and there was a Swiss jeep (the 70s German variety in Swiss markings) stopping cars from going through. As we sat there waiting, the Hetzer moved through the bridge; imagine my joy (as a German armor enthusiast) in seeing that little beasty up close, even though it was rearmed and solid Swiss OD...

All the best,
    Matt

That must have been something to see. Here is a front view of the same one. They have a pretty good collection and the best part is that most of them run.

Name:	DCP_3603.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	231347

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I think I may need to branch out into SPs and SPWs -SOOOOO many cool models out there...

All the best,
    Matt

Name:	DCP_3602.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	231346

Here is a picture of the Hetzer that is usually at the tank show in VA. From things I have read it is likely to one of the Swiss ones.

any idea of the reenacting group? is it by chance 2nd panzer? i hear they have a lot of toys. i got to stand in one of their hetzers at a reenactment years ago.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. The OTHER workbench . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2015, 04:30
  2. Whats on your workbench for May
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 05-31-2015, 17:18
  3. What's on your workbench for April?
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room