Ares Games

Thread: My first wog aircraft

Default My first wog aircraft

Well I received the mk9 spitfire today ( amazon deliver on Sundays! !!! Go figure )
    Against the older wow aircraft. .. I'm not so happy about the camouflage painting. Name:  20170806_162100.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  111.5 KBName:  20170806_162029.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  106.9 KB
    And the aircraft is mounted slightly more forward than the older ones.
    Still a nice model

I think we all had a bit to say about that at the time Chris.
    New firm new methods!
    At least they did not fold altogether.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I think when the 2 hurricanes land, I might attack them with a paintbrush. If I can nail down Douglas baders kite, I might make a sqn around him.

Sounding like an addict already Chris...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Mmmmm, Squadrons...................

That way madness lies........................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Dont get me on about Amazon..................................................
    See you on the Dark Side......

Sqn....... 3 planes. . Errr .... or maybe 4. But my missus would have my manhood if I were to go any bigger. ... hang on. . Early war Germany was pairs where the allies were 3's. So 3 a sqn. . Phew...

Name:  303 Squadron (5).jpg
Views: 319
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  303 Squadron (12).jpg
Views: 352
Size:  53.3 KB

Welcome in here and you will more than likely get more then a few of the planes. I started repainting some of the extras I had. Didn't need 5 Russian Hurricanes.

Nice models. Mine won't be anywhere near as good as them....

A good mix from the Battle of Britain Squadron Packs would be three Hurricane Mk.I, three Spitfire Mk.I, four Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3 and three Junkers Ju 87B-2 Stuka. The will give you enough aircraft for decent sized battles with 5 players+.

If you buy the Battle of Britain Starter Set you could reduce the squadron pack numbers by two each for the Spits and Emils.

Hurrah. . My 2 hurricanes have landed. but now I'm confused ....

I didn't think the mk1's would carry bombs, mk2's yes
    Attached Images  

Camouflage needs a bit of redoing. .

So it begins . . . this is the fun part, making the models into what you want them to be . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Hurrah. . My 2 hurricanes have landed. but now I'm confused ....

I didn't think the mk1's would carry bombs, mk2's yes
    You are correct the bomb racks should not be there. You can either remove them or ignore them until you decide one day to use the aircraft as a Mk.II.

The Douglas Bader models are extremely rare now, Chris. You might be better off painting one of the new ones to look like his aircraft.

I removed the bombs from mine and now need to touch up the undersides.
    Are the latest WW2 aircraft from Ares painted on the upper surfaces because they look like decals to me? I think the edges showing around the wings and joins are a bit of a giveaway. I suppose they might be pad printed but that would be a difficult multi stage operation for a model like this.

I have touched up the wing edges using a couple of paints that almost match but because I think I need to change the roundels I am considering overpainting the camouflage using my Humbrol acrylics. Does the surface take over painting well?

I'm waiting til Thursday so I can pop into elementalgames near me to see if I can match up the paint shades. Also a look on ebay for decals for 242th sqn

As for the surface taking which type of paint? ? I'll have to try it myself

Hope you have better luck than me. I think there is mention somewhere in the painting thread for Hurricanes which are the closest matching paints for touch up work.
    Don't trust the printed labels on the tops of the Humbrol acrylics because they are only indicative of the sort of colour that you might get depending upon undercoat, time of day and if you are in an unlit room at midnight. Still maybe close enough and possibly an improvement if I decide to repaint the whole aircraft.

Big Wing Bader Eh! You might find appropriate decals. I have gone for the general purpose letters and roundels from Mehusla as recommended by Flying Helmut for my squadron.

Meusla was the one I was looking at. LE-D, (bader) then maybe LE-A and LE-P (wingmen)

Flying Officer Michael Homer, DFC - LE-X
    Britmodeller.com - Help needed for info on a 242 Squadron Pilot

LE-H was used by 242 Squadron and often flown by Denis Crowley-Milling.
    warbirdinformationexchange.org - This day during The Battle of Britain, Day 15
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-09-2017 at 08:50.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Flying Officer Michael Homer, DFC - LE-X
    Britmodeller.com - Help needed for info on a 242 Squadron Pilot

LE-H was used by 242 Squadron and often flown by Denis Crowley-Milling.
    warbirdinformationexchange.org - This day during The Battle of Britain, Day 15
    That's useful information there Mike. I wish my chosen squadron didn't have the code US as searches throw up loads of useless information from your side of the pond.
    Luckily I live close to their BoB airfield so have some access to details.

Thanks Mike.
    LE-X sounds great, and you also saved me looking up LE-A's pilot. It is always pictured as LE-D's wingman but hardly ever named.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJaySee View Post
    That's useful information there Mike. I wish my chosen squadron didn't have the code US as searches throw up loads of useless information from your side of the pond.
    Luckily I live close to their BoB airfield so have some access to details.
    I find that using the squadron number, not the code, helps find planes and pilots. Although, I can see that No. 56 Sqn's code would make it particularly difficult.

Found this:
    www.markstyling.com - Hurricane Mk1s Pg1 (Scroll down, there are two)

This site is occasionally helpful, but not this time: Wings Pallet - UK Hurricanes

And then, this?
    www.pewteraircraft.com - HURRICANE 'Fg. Off' [sic] Tom Neil (Note: this page indicates the plane is in No. 249 Sqn with the code 'US-F'?)

PS: www.edcoatescollection.com - Hawker Hurricane XII

PPS: ww2today.com - 22 September 1940 - Top fighter pilot reflects on ‘Big Wing’ tactic (Note: Flight Lieutenant T F Neil is identified in a photograph as a member of No. 249 Sqn here?)
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-09-2017 at 10:25.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I'm waiting til Thursday so I can pop into elementalgames near me to see if I can match up the paint shades. Also a look on ebay for decals for 242th sqn

As for the surface taking which type of paint? ? I'll have to try it myself
    My Hurricanes here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...read/page3#top
    and in Post # 9 above were Nexus Belgian "Van den Hove" minis, repainted with Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics.

Upper surface - Vallejo 'Game Colour' 62 "Earth" and Vallejo 'Model Colour' 095 "U.S. Dark Green" ; these were a VERY good match for the Nexus camo, which is the same as on the Nexus "Bader".
    Vallejo paints are "high pigment", and cover very well indeed, needing fewer coats than other makes I have tried.

Lower surface - Tamiya XF-21 "Sky" ; Vallejo don't do a colour anywhere close to the required "duck egg green/blue", so I had to revert to my old Tamiya paint, which is not as good at covering, and shows streaks (especially over the Belgian black undersides) so extra coats were needed, but the final result was good enough for me.

Just realised, I forgot to post this info on the Hurricane Painting thread - I'll add it now.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I find that using the squadron number, not the code, helps find planes and pilots. Although, I can see that No. 56 Sqn's code would make it particularly difficult.

Found this:
    www.markstyling.com - Hurricane Mk1s Pg1 (Scroll down, there are two)

This site is occasionally helpful, but not this time: Wings Pallet - UK Hurricanes

And then, this?
    www.pewteraircraft.com - HURRICANE 'Fg. Off' [sic] Tom Neil (Note: this page indicates the plane is in No. 249 Sqn with the code 'US-F'?)

PS: www.edcoatescollection.com - Hawker Hurricane XII

PPS: ww2today.com - 22 September 1940 - Top fighter pilot reflects on ‘Big Wing’ tactic (Note: Flight Lieutenant T F Neil is identified in a photograph as a member of No. 249 Sqn here?)
    Indeed over the past week or so I have been using all variations to search out relevant information and I have collected a reasonable pamphlets worth of background.

P/O Tom Neil (as he was at the time) was indeed a member of 249Sqn but when they first arrived at North Weald in Sept '40 the squadron took possession of the remaining aircraft of 56 sqn as it was easier to change planes than change all their radio sets to Group 11 compatible. Hence they flew for a while with the US code until being repainted with their correct GN.

Cheers
    CJ

Quick search. I can only get you this. ..
    Attached Images  

I have a complete 56Sq decals courtesy of Mehusla

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    I have a complete 56Sq decals courtesy of Mehusla
    Was that a special order. Only 303 squadron is shown on the ebay shop along with the general purpose roundels and letter styles?

Cameron. I have found in one of my books a chapter on the 56 sqn. No kite letters but who was yellow 3 and red 2 at that time.. want me to see if I can work out a few pilot/kite combos?

My pm isn't working

Cameron. I have found in one of my books a chapter on the 56 sqn. No kite letters but who was yellow 3 and red 2 at that time.. want me to see if I can work out a few pilot/kite combos?

My pm isn't working
    Sorry. Just seen this entry after having located my messages and sent you a sadly lengthy reply to your pm. If you didn't get it I can paraphrase by saying:
    What book?
    I have plenty of info for my 2 aircraft but I am happy to find further info.
    Why does it matter to me so much that a couple of game pieces need to match real life from 75 years ago
    Cheers

I love researching behind the story as much as you. . I'm at work at the moment but when I get home I'll get you the book cover

This is the book I was talking about. Also my ' bob starter set ' has arrived. .. hurrah. .
    Attached Images  

Another piccie
    Attached Images  

Thanks for the info. I'll look out for a copy.
    They may have one in the museum library.

Additional Data Incoming.

Just purchased a copy from a Cornwall Hospice via Amazon.
    That one I can get approved by my wife.
    Last edited by SeaJaySee; 08-11-2017 at 05:12. Reason: Additional Info

Happy reading.

"I have touched up the wing edges using a couple of paints that almost match but because I think I need to change the roundels I am considering overpainting the camouflage using my Humbrol acrylics. Does the surface take over painting well? "

Hi Cameron, I have just painted over half a dozen new Hurricanes and 109s for the western desert using Humbrol acrylics, then re-decal using mehusla generic roundel pack and RAF white letters for the hurricanes. The decal surface took the paint well enough, and mehusla's products made for a perfect finish.

Lest we forget

That's great news. My 3rd hurricane should be landing anyday so they all can be worked on at the same time. I could touch up at the same time

Received my copy of RAF Fighter Squadrons. Has that lovely stored old book smell and tanned blotting paper pages. Other than that as new. Looks great for my background information.

Came with an interesting bookmark in the form of an old photograph.
    Can't tell if it was a purchased postcard or quality print but may be of interest here.

Name:  Image0015 low res.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  104.2 KB Name:  Image0016 (2).jpg
Views: 170
Size:  140.6 KB

Nice find. .. don't recognise the sqn but very nice find

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2016, 05:21
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 14:26
  3. World War 1 Aircraft - Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.2 Model B