Thread: OTT BE Mission #12--Another Day Over the Somme 12 April 1918

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Cool OTT BE Mission #12--Another Day Over the Somme 12 April 1918

Lt. Forbes:
    Gentlemen, from this point on, whenever you go anywhere you need to be extra careful. We have had two incidents recently where an enemy spy has tried to make trouble for us. The first incident was the replacement planes, 2Lt. McGillicuddy's body was found in a sewage trench with his throat slit. The second was the one involving you guys and the battlecruiser. It seems you were given the wrong coordinates by a person claiming to be a Capt. Sinclair. No one that I've contacted has seen or heard of a Capt. Sinclair.
    Lt. Forbes: Everyone flies today. We all will be over the Somme. Lt. Kilpatrick, 2Lt. Callahan and 2Lt. Hamlett will patrol the area around Morlancourt Ridge. The rest of you are with me and we will be approximately 30 kilometers south of the ridge.
    Keep your eyes open and be safe.
    Good hunting.

15 March 1968
    Notes from interview with Manfred von Richtofen
    Reporter Leroy J. Brown of Modern Aviation

Roy Brown: Once again Thank You Freiherr for agreeing to this interview about your life and career as a pilot. This article will come out next month in time for the 50th anniversary of the battle near Morlancourt Ridge.

Manfred von Richtofen: I am here to set the record straight on several falsehoods that have been published about my life or death, depending on who you listen to.

Roy Brown: Many people say you were shot down near Morlancourt Ridge on 12 April 1918. Yet, you sit in front of me very much alive and loking to be no more than 30 years old, when you really are 76 years old. How do you explain .

MvR: It is called healthy living, good genes, and knowing the right people.

Roy Brown: OK, let's talk about Morlancourt Ridge and the air battle that took place that day. Would you take us through your actions and activities of 12 April 1918?

MvR: Our pilots were up before the sun. The cooks fed them sausage, eggs, and coffee, while the mechanics prepped the planes on the flight line.
    We were in the air as the sun appeared on the horizon behind us. As planned we split into groups of 4 with half going North and half South. We were to meet near Morlancourt then head home, if we did not see anything.
    After a couple of hours we landed at the Jasta, gave our reports and prepped for the next sorties.
    I decided to switch some pilots around to get different people used to flying with different wingmen. From what I understand it worked out fine.

Roy Brown: What do you mean by that?

MvR: I got separated from my squadron and had to rely onwhat they reported. By this time of day the Brits had kites in the air and the Eagles were up as well hunting the Bulldogs.
    Attachment 228990

Enemy spotted
    Attachment 228991

Closing the gap
    Attachment 228992

MvR: According to the reports I read from the Eagles, they drew first blood on the first pass, Ltn. Hüttenrauch (0) exchanged shots with Lt. Kilpatrick (2GJ).
    Attachment 228993

MvR: Ltn. Leffers (0) and Lt. Kilpatrick (0) took a quick shot at each other but missed.
    Attachment 228994

MvR: Then the furball began. Ltn. Leffers (1NR,5) and 2Lt. Hamlett (1NL,0GJ) exchanged fire to Ltn. Leffers detriment.
    Attachment 228995

MvR: Everyone circled to get into position to make another pass.
    Attachment 228996

MvR: 2Lt. Callahan (1) andLtn. Hüttenrauch (1NL) exchanged fire while 2Lt. Hamlett took a shot at Ltn. Muller (1) while Ltn. Muller (0) exchanges fire with Lt. Kilpatrick (1).
    I had spied a lone camel trying to make his way across NML so, I dropped down and got behind him while he was on our side of the line.
    Attachment 228997

MvR: While they guys were waltzing high above us I tok a shot at the camel but missed. Rookie (0).
    Attachment 228998

MvR: Ignoring the guys above us I was able to close the range on the camel just enough so that my next shot punched a couple of holes in him.
    Rookie (1+1).
    2Lt. Callahan took a shot at Ltn. Leffers (0,0) but missed.
    Attachment 228999
    Last edited by Setarius; 07-25-2017 at 19:58. Reason: Add story

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

MvR A 2nd camel dropped down behind me and took a shot as I took one at the one in front of me.
    Rookie (0) Ace DR.1 (4)
    Ltn. Hüttenrauch took a shot at 2Lt. Callahan (0) but missed.
    Attachment 229001

MvR: With help behind me the first camel came right allowing me to close the distance again for another shot, as I was hit from behind again.
    Rookie (EXP) Ace DR.1 (2NR+1)
    Kill Ace DR.1
    Above Ltn. Muller (2) and 2Lt. Callahan (3ENG) exchanged lead with 2Lt. Callahan getting the worst of the exchange.
    Attachment 229002

MvR: I did a quick reverse as the camel behind me shot and missed.
    2Lt. Callahan took a shot at Ltn. Leffers (2,3) at close range as Ltn. Hüttenrauch shot 2Lt. Callahan (EXP) causing an explosion.
    Kill: Ltn. Hüttenrauch
    Attachment 229003

MvR: I passed by the Brit that was chasing me and saluted him.
    2Lt. Hamlett took a shot at Ltn. Muller (4,0) doing considerable damage.
    Attachment 229004

MvR: Both I and the camel had reversed and he took a shot at mebut missed. 2Lt. Hamlett shot Ltn. Muller (2NR+1) again.
    Attachment 229005

MvR: At this point I decided to head to the Jasta. My controls were sluggish and my plane was shot up pretty good.
    Attachment 229008

MvR: You understand that now what I tell you comes from the AAR submitted by the pilots.

Roy Brown: OK I'm ready.

MvR: 2Lt. Hamlett (1NR,0) took a shot at Ltn. Hüttenrauch (3,0GJ) doing some damage before his guns went silent. Ltn. Hüttenrauch returned fire.
    Attachment 229009

MvR: Lt. Kilpatrick used his ace ability as he shot Ltn. Muller (3+1). Ltn. Muller returned fire hitting the engine on the SPAD (3ENG) and causing additional damage.
    Attachment 229010

MvR: 2Lt. Hamlett (0) turned into and collided with Ltn. Muller (6) causing enough damage to send him crashing into the mountain below.
    Attachment 229011

MvR: Ltn. Leffers got a shot at 2Lt. Hamlett (2GJ) before his guns went silent as well.
    Attachment 229012
    Last edited by Setarius; 07-25-2017 at 14:38.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

MvR: Lt. Kilpatrick took a shot at Ltn. Leffers (3P) hitting him.
    Attachment 229017

MvR: Lt. Kilpatrick then took a shot at Ltn. Hüttenrauch (0GJ) but missed as his guns went silent.
    Attachment 229018
    MvR: This is where we start the I Can't Shoot You, Because My Guns are Jamned Waltz.
    Attachment 229019

Attachment 229020

MvR: While still in the waltz Lt. Kilpatrick (2) and Ltn. Hüttenrauch (0) collide.
    Attachment 229021

MvR: The Entente decided they had enough and headed home.
    Attachment 229022

Editors Note: These 2 pictures were the final shots of the battle, but couldn't be used due to a mistake. Planes are a full ruler apart and 1 peg altitude difference. This saved 2Lt. Hamlett from a bad night.
    Attachment 229023Attachment 229024
    Last edited by Setarius; 07-25-2017 at 15:00.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Butcher's Bill

Entente
    Lt. Kilpatrick SPAD XIII--RTB 8pts dmg
    Attachment 229031

Left to Right
    2Lt. Larry Callahan Sopwith Camel green dot SD EXP ET
    C&W Rolled 7-3EXP+1Ace=5 skip D3
    E&E Rolled 5-1EXP-1WIC-1BEL=2 Captured

2Lt. Rodger Hamlett Sopwith Camel yellow dot RTB
    Kill Ltn. Muller by collision
    Attachment 229032

Central Powers

Ltn. Hans Hüttenrauch Albatross DVA blue dot 4pts damage
    Kill 2Lt. Callahan
    Attachment 229033

Ltn Helmut Leffers Albatross DVA #1 RTB WIA 14pts damage
    C&W Rolled 6+3RTB-1WIA=8 Rolled 5 Skip 2
    Attachment 229034

Ltn. Eberhard Muller Albatross DVA yellow dot Collision 18pts damage
    C&W Rolled 7 -2Col-1NML=4 Rolled 4 Skip 2
    E&E Rolled 8-1WIC+1NML=8 Skip 1. SKIP 2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170721_201418.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	229035

Other Combatants Left to Right

ROOKIE Sopwith Camel pink dot SD EXP ET
    C&W Rolled 7-3EXP=4 Skip 6
    E&E Rolled 10-1EXP-1WIC-1BEL=7 Skip 1 SKIP 6

FOKKER DR.1 Ace RTB

Veteran Sopwith Camel blue dot RTB
    Attachment 229036

Victory Points

Entente
    Shot down enemy-1. 2pts
    Eagles Exit-1. 1pt
    Veteran Camel exit 1pt
    Total 4pts

Central Powers
    Shot down enemy-1. 2pts
    Rookie Shot Down. 3pts
    Ace exits East. 3pts
    Total 8pts

Victory Eagles 8-4
    Last edited by Setarius; 07-25-2017 at 19:47.

Slow but sure huh Dale. Great so far. Like the idea of MvR doing the story telling - weird, but different Looking forward to reading the rest

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Finished.

This was a joy to play even though I lost my leading Ace.

The outcome would have been different if the rookie hadn't made 2 consecutive left turns at the start and a right near the end to allow the Fokker Ace to close the gap. If the Rookie had gone straight 2 consecutive moves I don't think the Fokker would have caught him.

Thank you Carl for an enjoyable mission.

Dave ---2Lt. Stanley Livingston of Great Britain will be a replacement.
    Last edited by Setarius; 07-25-2017 at 19:55.

Thumbs up

Love your spin on the MvR Story Dale. Very inventive
    Will look forward to the outcome of this one but I sense a Victory for the Germans.

Nicely done Dale, quite a set to for you chaps and a heavy toll all things considered.

Uncle says:

That was hard luck losing Callahan like that, all a bit of a rum do if you ask me, sneaky Albatros getting in behind him, that's how they'll get Downe, you young chaps learn from this and watch the angles and your six ! At least he'll survive the war now.
    Nice report and a good Tally Mr Livingston has reported for duty.

"He is wise who watches"

Well played Dale enjoyable read and a graet result for the Adlers.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Well played Dale - Sorry you lost Callahan, but at least he lives to tell the tale. Result goes to the Eagles but then what the heck - bound to happen sooner or later! Nicely told tale - rep inbound

A nice twist to the telling of the tale.

Too bad about your ace, Callahan.
    Dreading that one myself.

Tough luck for the Bulldogs, but we Adlers will toast you.

Hi Dale, great AAR told from the Rittmeister's perspective.

Sorry you lost Callaghan, c'est le Guerre. At least he is down and safe as opposed to buying the farm!

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTBE Mission 12 - Another Day over the Somme - 21 April 1918
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-04-2017, 11:34
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-03-2017, 06:29
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-03-2017, 06:13
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-03-2017, 06:00
  5. Replies: 10