Ares Games

Thread: A complete Enigma!!

Default A complete Enigma!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	170712045212-03-german-enigma-machine-auction-exlarge-169.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	228989

This fully functional German-made Enigma machine was sold at auction Tuesday.
    A rare Enigma machine used by Nazi Germany during World War II was sold at auction Tuesday for 45,000 euros ($51,500).
    The collector who put the machine up for sale at the Artmark auction house in Bucharest, Romania, had spotted it at a flea market in the city and bought it for just 100 euros ($114).
    Vitally important to Nazi war efforts, the Enigma machine was used by the German military to encrypt messages into a form they believed was unbreakable.
    But the code was cracked by a team of cryptologists at Bletchley Park in southern England -- a breakthrough widely credited with having shortened the war by at least two years.
    The instrument sold Tuesday -- to an unnamed online bidder -- was made in Germany in 1941 and is in almost perfect condition, Vlad Georgescu, relationship manager at Artmark, told CNN.
    It belonged to a mathematician who has spent most of his life decrypting codes," he said. When he saw it for sale at the flea market, he immediately realized what it was and was "compelled to purchase it," he explained.
    According to Georgescu, the previous owner simply did not realize the significance of the item -- he thought it was just a normal typewriter.
    Once it was in his possession, the mathematician "started trying to figure out how the machine worked" and spent time cleaning and repairing it.
    "He took great care of it," said Georgescu. And he is not surprised that the machine -- which had a starting price of 9,000 euros ($10,300) -- sold for such a large sum.
    "These machines are very rare, especially entirely functional ones," he explained.

All we need now is someone who has another one.

Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Never seen one of those on ebay.

Just as well - I couldn't afford one anyway.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Well I have Tim.

An eBay advert displaying a ‘telegram machine’ was recognised by a National Computer Museum volunteer as an extremely rare, military-issue Lorenz teleprinter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enigma.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	229000

An “unbreakable” cipher machine used to encrypt massages from the Nazi command, which led to huge breakthroughs in modern computing has been discovered for sale on eBay for less than Ł10.

A volunteer with the National Museum of Computing (NMC) spotted the advert on the online auctioning site this week and recognised the device, labelled a “telegram machine”, as an extremely rare, military-issue Lorenz teleprinter.
    John Whetter, a volunteer engineer with the NMC, told the Guardian: “I think it was described as a telegram machine, but we recognised it as a Lorenz teleprinter.”

The museum tracked down the seller in Essex, who showed them the rare keyboard buried under rubbish in a garden shed in its original carry case.

"We said 'Thank you very much, how much was it again?' She said 'Ł9.50', so we said 'Here's a Ł10 note - keep the change!'” Mr Wetter told the BBC.

Upon cleaning the machine at Bletchley Park, the museum found swastika detailing on the device as well as a special key for the runic Waffen-SS insignia.

After serendipitously finding the component and receiving a long-term loan of the Lorenz SZ42 cipher machine from the Norwegian Armed Forces Museum in Oslo, the NMC is now looking for the final parts of the contraption to restore the encoder to working order.
    The NMC are encouraging people to comb their sheds and attics for a missing drive motor so they can recreate the process of top secret transmissions from encrypt to decrypt using the full set of 1940’s cutting edge technology.

Smile

I wonder how much more rare stuff is salted away in sheds & attics by folk who have no idea what they own.

What tremendous finds!

wow!! thats quite a find. i recall seeing a couple corroded rotor wheels on ebay before.

They are both incredible finds, mate of mine used to trawl boot fairs for militaria and find all sorts of things for next to nothing.

"He is wise who watches"

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

It's great to see these beasties close up in photos, Rob - such crucial machines in the advance of encrypted communications and intelligence work. As several have mentioned, it's amazing what one sometimes finds rooting around 'old stuff'...particularly when the owner/seller doesn't know what he has.

All the best,
    Matt

I have touched an Enigma machine many years ago and then again at the Cryptologic museum at Ft. Meade. It is something to see and such a piece of history.

You can actually go around Bletchley Park and house.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Me 262 Enigma
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-22-2017, 07:42
  2. WGF Complete DH 4 set.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 02:55
  3. WGF Complete Rumpler set.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0