Ares Games

Thread: If you really want to know what the RAF were doing at Dunkirk......

Default If you really want to know what the RAF were doing at Dunkirk......

....Then avail yourself of this publication, just released:

Written by the bloke who provided research for the 'Dunkirk: the new evidence' programme, the book more than adequately demonstrates that serious researchers shouldn't get involved in half-arsed documentaries. Nearly 200 pages, it documents every combat patrol during the period 21 May to 2 June, it includes quotes from squadron intelligence reports, record books and pilot combat reports, as well as victory claims and casualty lists. It's well illustrated throughout, and each day has a map showing where British and German aircraft fell. The maps themselves are enough to contradict the myth that the RAF were nowhere to be seen, demonstrating that they were fighting (and dying) all over France, Belgium and the Channel in order to protect the beaches. There's also some excellent artwork included.

25 squids to you squire, money well spent - 'nuff said.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Steve, I'm guessing that there should be a link to the publication referred to. But I can't see any link! Mike

I just checked and only see listings for a TV documentary. Nothing about a book. As Mike requested is there a link ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Steve, I'm guessing that there should be a link to the publication referred to. But I can't see any link! Mike
    Here's a link

Have a look at the Battle of Britain Combat Archive while you're there.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

The RAF was a bit like water in Florida -- only ankle-deep, and spread out over all creation....

Nearly had me but $285.00 US for the Bob and Dunkirk just a wee bit too much ...

$58.00 shipping was the final killer

Maybe if I win the lottery ...

I just returned home from viewing the film "Dunkirk." The aerial photography of plane to plane combat was wonderful. Does anyone know if the Spitfires, Heinkels, and ME-109s were reproductions, originals, or computer generated?
    Bill

I have heard that the planes are all real. Very little CGI. had a problem when I first opened it but here is a link to the video.

http://worldwarwings.com/planes-chri..._content=films
    Last edited by BobP; 07-21-2017 at 17:42.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the Heads up Steve.
    Looks "the Goods" but will wait & see if the Book Depository gets it cheaper later on.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    I have heard that the planes are all real. Very little CGI. had a problem when I first opened it but here is a link to the video.

http://worldwarwings.com/planes-chri..._content=films
    BobP,
    Thanks for this -- answers my questions -- really interesting that the company used for the aircraft restored a Spitfire found under the Dunkirk beach 40 years after the fact. It reminds me that a WW2 RAF plane was found buried on a beach in Wales that my Wife and I had walked along years before...
    Bill

The Dunkirk film also used radio controlled scale model aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The Dunkirk film also used radio controlled scale model aircraft.

That actually crossed my mind in the theater...if they were large scale RC, but it looked so real I discounted it. Thanks for the info!
    Bill

Similar Missions

1. Dunkirk: The New Evidence
    By Naharaht in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-06-2017, 13:15
  2. Dunkirk Hurricane Mk.I Restoration
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-11-2017, 12:51
  3. Multiplayer: WGS FRA02 - Skies over Dunkirk
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGS: Mission Discussions