Ares Games

Thread: WoG Queens Birthday event report

Default WoG Queens Birthday event report

Hello fellow Aussie pilots (and visitors from other wings)

Please find below my report for the Queens Birthday WoG event. Yeah I know, I was slow , things got in the way.... Anyway, hope you enjoy reading it.

Cheers all,

Sasha
    Attached Images

Thanks for the report Oleksandr, well written and laid out. I liked your assessments of the missions.

Sounds like Carlos is an opponent to be reckoned with, I look forward to meeting him and the rest of you over a Wings of Glory table one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Thanks for the report Oleksandr, well written and laid out. I liked your assessments of the missions.

Sounds like Carlos is an opponent to be reckoned with, I look forward to meeting him and the rest of you over a Wings of Glory table one day.
    Hopefully that will be soon. I must say, Carlos has already reached the status ace in our little campaign (has 5 confirmed victories), though I made him work hard for the last three months (with one game a week approx during our uni lunch-breaks) - my Camel just kept on getting onto his Fokker DVII's tail, last game at one of our regular catch-ups, I got unto his tail again, but he managed to get out of it, and shot me down cleanly and surely, luckily my pilot parachuted safely down (rolled a 5 on D6), so my victories aren't reset to 0. Damn it, I should shut up, I can go raving on for hours about tactics and mistakes and get people bored. But, when he doesn't overthink it, he is a good opponent.

Hell, I may fly past Brisbane one day.... we'll see, if so, I'll let you know.
    Last edited by Dog of War; 07-21-2017 at 00:41.

Nice AAR.

Well written.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog of War View Post
    Hopefully that will be soon. I must say, Carlos has already reached the status ace in our little campaign (has 5 confirmed victories), though I made him work hard for the last three months (with one game a week approx during our uni lunch-breaks) - my Camel just kept on getting onto his Fokker DVII's tail, last game at one of our regular catch-ups, I got unto his tail again, but he managed to get out of it, and shot me down cleanly and surely, luckily my pilot parachuted safely down (rolled a 5 on D6), so my victories aren't reset to 0. Damn it, I should shut up, I can go raving on for hours about tactics and mistakes and get people bored. But, when he doesn't overthink it, he is a good opponent.

Hell, I may fly past Brisbane one day.... we'll see, if so, I'll let you know.
    Ah the tyranny of distance......

Perhaps we could meet half way at Cancon in Canberra?

Most enjoyable read Oleksandr.
    In your pre-game warm up you had a lot of collisions. Overlapping is allowed in the basic rules (p8 RAP) but, as you suggest, it is nice to have that added element of danger in a game - if you wanted to lessen the frequency you could, like many of us do, skew the rules slightly and say a collision only occurs if the models bases overlap their opponents peg, ie they can't be physically placed over one another. This allows then some overlapping and still those pesky, potentially fatal collisions.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for the positive replies everyone. I was really trying to blow some life into those dry numbers and a simple fact of this guy won, this guy lost, etc.

About Collisions - ah, I see. Well, "collisions", or critical last minute evasions put in a lot of fun in the game, agreed. To me though, overlapping bases "feels" more realistic, since as I said, you would be subjecting your planes to a great deal of stress at that last split second. But if that is incorrect way of thinking about it, let me know as I always try to have a realistic background to every rule that is used, or otherwise bend it to suit closer to reality. For example, you may argue that the models only act as counters, when the real location of the plane is actually the peg. So it may also be the question of scale of things...

Cheers,

Sasha
    Last edited by Dog of War; 07-21-2017 at 06:38.

Cancon, may be a good idea. It all depends on what life throws at me at that point though. I'll try to make it this year.

Thumbs up

Well done Oleksander! That was worth waiting for!

Rep inbound!

Similar Missions

1. Queens Birthday Weekend Wargaming Convention - WoG big game
    By Dog of War in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-06-2017, 01:16
  2. BobP's Birthday! Happy Birthday Bob:)
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-14-2016, 01:10
  3. Ohio: Next Wright Flight Event
    By predhead in forum US Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-21-2014, 00:38
  4. Ohio: Next Event - Dayton
    By predhead in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 16:08