Ares Games

Thread: OTTBE Mission 12 - Another Day over the Somme - 21 April 1918

Default OTTBE Mission 12 - Another Day over the Somme - 21 April 1918

Another Day over the Somme 21 April 1918

Years ago, almost a lifetime for me; a great deal more than a life time for all too many, I worked in a brick factory. Not for long. Perhaps two weeks. I can honestly say that it was the most boring job, in the most boring place, that I ever had the unpleasent necessity to experience. But needs must and times were difficult. A mature student with a wife and a few months old child, desperate for economic security and hopeful of keeping the student debt at bay. But I never want to see the inside of a brick factory again, let alone die near one. Why a brick factory?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 BE12.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	228380 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 BE12.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	228381

Why, in the middle of nowhere, on just another day, in just another place, would anyone want to become just another casualty? Another dead hero, amongst countless thousands of dead heros, the vast majority of whom remain nameless, unknown, forgotten in history, to generation after generation, until some haven’t even heard of the war you died in, never mind your name! But that is exactly what happened to one casualty. Only his name is known, by all, and possibly for all the
    wrong reasons! Why? Because his country needed a hero at the time?

Name:	3 BE12.jpg 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	228382 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 BE12.jpg 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	228383

Who creates heros? Is it the hero himself? Doubtful! Is it the men and women who follow his examples, trying hard to emulate them; idolising him, worshiping his very being? Possibly, to a small degree. Is it the countless thousands, millions even, of his fellow combatents? Unlikely, since most of them are heros too and regard what he does with interest, fear, even envy, but they do the same as he does and they want to destroy him in the same way he wants to destroy them, without compassion, with little interest and with mainly a desire for personal survival the only real criteria involved. But commanding officers, politicians and the media? Now there’s a different kettle of fish, so to speak!

When things at home are going badly; when the countless thousands of innocent, tired, hungry, anxious, mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters; loved ones of all kinds, who want nothing to do with war, nothing to do with killing, are becoming restive, scared, even angry and, God forbid, possibly rebellious; what do you need? Why, a hero of course. Success! It lifts the souls of many, when its on your side. It takes minds away from personal hardship. Look at what the hero does, the sacrifices he makes, not for himself, but for you, the people. Do you then not feel ashamed of your complaints, your own hardships. He is helping us to win, he is God like, a true celebrity, putting his own life at risk for his country, his leader – with him on our side we cannot lose!

Name:	5 BE12.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	228384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6 BE12.jpg 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	228385

Aah! But therein lies the problem! What if he fails? What if he dies? Catastrophic! Because then, the effects on moral are quite likely to be reversed. Best not to have heros then – perhaps best not to have them at all. That does not make their achievements any the less; their bravery any the less, their supreme courage any the less; their personal sacrifice any the less. But the effects on moral may be less when they go. And most of them do!

“What did you do in the war Grandad?”
    “Hush Tommy, you know Grandad won’t talk about it! He wants to forget. You’ll only upset him. Now run along and play your game, there’s a good boy.”

Name:	7 BE12.jpg 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	228386 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 BE12.jpg 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	228387

And what did Grandad do? Shoot down 80 enemy aircraft and destroy as many men or more? Is that what makes a hero? Blow up as many in a few days, working behind a huge piece of artillery perhaps! Or was he a machine gunner who riddled with bullets the living and made corpses of as many as that in a few seconds during a major attack! Lets face it, they were all heros, even those who didn’t kill a soul!

Name:	9 BE12.jpg 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	228388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 BE12.jpg 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	228389

But there you have it. On just another day, in just another field, near a boring old brick factory, a light was put out. The star lay on the ground, sightlessly staring up at the heavens he had mastered for a year or more.

Name:	11 BE12.jpg 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	228390

And back home there must have been a collective gasp. The headlines stopped the mug of ersatz coffee from reaching the lips of the breakfast taker. The mother momentarily stopped thinking about the child she had given birth to, lieing in pieces, out there somewhere, wiped her tears and read of the tragic death of a hero she new little or nothing about and was horrified! Does that now mean we shall lose the war after all?

Perhaps, best not to have heros!

Late on 21st April 1918 – aerodrome at La Houssoye
    Present in the Officer's Mess: Lt William Rhodes-Moorhouse; Cptn A Roy Brown; Lt Wilfrid May; Lt Arthur Hammond; “Mick” and another pilot involved in the mornings action with Brown.
    “Did you see that?”
    “See what? What are you blathering on about old boy?”
    “It was him, I swear it! The German Freiherr whats-is-name that flies the red kite!”
    “Oh, you mean von Richtoffen! No I didn’t see him and I doubt you did either.”
    “It was him, definitely. Ask the young rookie over there. The one that looks like he’s seen a ghost and is into, what, his second bottle of whiskey already, since he collapsed into that chair not twenty minutes ago. Bloody close shave that kid had I can tell you.”
    “Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hang on there just a second. You’re way ahead of me here. Slow down and tell me what you saw. All of it.”
    “He’s right you know! And that kid, as you called him, is a mate of mine. His name is May, Wilfrid May. Although his mates call him Wop.””
    “Oh, hello Brown, where did you spring from?”
    “From right behind von Richtoffen, like your friend said. Only I’ll let him tell the story.”

“OK” said William. “Well, it was like this you see. This morning, early, we received orders to go out on offensive patrol. See anything at all of the hun and we are to chase them off or preferably destroy them; usual thing! So three of us, the Skipper (Lt Harold Medlicott ace), Arthur (2nd Lt Arthur Hammond) and myself (2nd Lt William Rhodes-Moorhouse), flew east towards Vaux. Thought we’d give our colonial pals there a bit of a show if we could!

Name:	12 BE12.jpg 
Size:	262.1 KB 
ID:	228391 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13 BE12.jpg 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	228392

Wasn’t long before we ran into some company. Three rather attractive looking Dr1s!” (Obltn Wilhelm Habich; Ltn Ernst Benzler; Ltn Fritz Brünig)
    “Yea ok, get on with it!”

Name:	14 BE12.jpg 
Size:	288.3 KB 
ID:	228393 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15 BE12.jpg 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	228394

“Ok, ok, keep your hair on! Well, they came up from the south east and just happened to be heading in our direction. They were obviously up to no good, perhaps intending to give the Aussies a bit of a strafing. Anyway, they were looking for a fight and no mistake. Next thing you know we were darting around the sky like a flock of swifts in the summer searching for food. Daka daka daka daka, daka daka daka daka, everyone playing the same tune yet again. Suddenly one of their’s went down (Habich hit by Medlicott for 5 with wound + 3 with wound. 1 kill to Medlicott; Medlicott fired upon by Brünig “0”; Moorhouse fired upon by Habich “0,0”; Habich fired upon by Moorhouse – guns jam - “0,0”). I think the skipper got him. But he quickly followed himself (Medlicott hit by Brünig – “0 + Boom”. 1 kill to Brünig; Brünig hit by Medlicott (ace marksman) “1, 0, 1” - “0” ignored). Hun in a Dr1, that looked like a ruddy zebra, opened up at point blank range and the skipper’s Camel just seemed to conk out in mid air. The last I saw of him he was heading for the trenches below. Hope the Aussies picked him up ok, poor old sod! Hasn’t had the job more than a week or two! Same hun almost took me out too, we were that close to a collision. And me with jammed guns and all. Made my stomach turn I can tell you. Made me quite windy for a bit, I don’t mind saying!”

Name:	16 BE12.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	228395 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 BE12.jpg 
Size:	261.0 KB 
ID:	228396

Name:	18 BE12.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	228397 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19 BE12.jpg 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	228398

After that, it all got a bit confusing, looking this way and that and half the time not seeing a thing!
    I know Arthur got a bit over zealous because, in his enthusiasm to exact revenge on the zebra, he flew right across my bows. He got pots at both of the remaining Dr1s though and I swear I don’t know how the zebra didn’t go down (Brünig hit by Hammond for “4” – Hammond misses Benzler “0”).
    “Yes, well I believe you were pretty luck on that occasion old man!”
    “Aah, Arthur, there you are. Back at last huh! Welcome. Any sign of the skipper?”
    “Not yet I’m afraid. I saw him go down, but that’s the last I know.”
    “Oh! That’s not good. Anyhow, how come you think I was lucky?”
    “Because those two huns whipped around really fast and one of them let me have it, just as I passed you. Peppered my machine which is now full of holes (Hammond hit by Benzler “2, 1”). Reckon you owe me a drink for that one old chap!”

Name:	20 BE12.jpg 
Size:	272.2 KB 
ID:	228399 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21 BE12.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	228400

Name:	22 BE12.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	228401 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23 BE12.jpg 
Size:	266.3 KB 
ID:	228402

“Ok” William said with a chuckle, “as soon as the skipper turns up we’ll pop down town and see if good old Madam Freseux will cook us up one of her specials. We’ll wash that down with a bottle or two of whatever she has hidden away in that cellar of hers and I’ll treat the lot of us!”

Name:	24 BE12.jpg 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	228403 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25 BE12.jpg 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	228404

“Wow! Generous of you old man! Ok you’re on. Anyway, are you going to continue your story? We’re all waiting to hear about your sighting of von Richtofen you know!”
    “Sure. Well, just after you dashed past me, those two huns did so too, only in the opposite direction. I made to follow them and as I did so, I swear, I saw his red tri-plane off to my right, well low down and following one of ours!”
    “Do you mind if I butt in there William? Only I know exactly what happened!”
    “Of course you may, Brown, I want to know what happened exactly, same as everyone else here!”
    “Thanks. I was in a bit of a tussle myself, with a couple or three of those hun. We’d been out huntin’ them, but, when we found them, I thought we’d bitten off a bit more than we could chew. A few of our guys had already taken themselves off after a couple of two seaters and two more had turned back for the barn with engine trouble. So we had our hands full, being outnumbered an’ all. Well, young Wop over there is a greenhorn and we’d ordered him to head on back home if we got into any kind of serious scrap! So sure enough, I spotted him diving away and felt pretty good, ‘cos he’s an old school pal of mine and I kinda felt responsible, if you know what I mean!”
    There was a general buzz of approval at that.

Name:	26 BE12.jpg 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	228405 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27 BE12.jpg 
Size:	266.7 KB 
ID:	228406

Name:	28 BE12.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	228407 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29 BE12.jpg 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	228408

Only then, I spotted this other aircraft dropping down to get on his tail. I had no idea who it was, but I could see the black crosses on his wings and knew that Wop was likely in a heap o’ trouble. Ignoring the guys I was playing with, I made a dash towards the two of them and, given my dive speed, managed to kinda catch up just as Wop started hopping around above some trees. It was plain to me that the hun was gettin’ pretty close an’ I could hear his guns poppin’ off pretty regular like (Rookie hit by von Richtoffen for “1+1”).
    So I tucked myself in nice an’ cosy behind the hun and let ‘im have it. I must have hit him ‘cos he broke off tailin’ Wop for a bit and his aircraft kinda hiccuped a bit! (von Richtofen hit by Brown for “3”+ engine damaged)

Name:	30 BE12.jpg 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	228409 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31 BE12.jpg 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	228410

Name:	32 BE12.jpg 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	228411

But it didn’t stop him! He managed to close Wop down and gave him one hell of a burst, (Rookie hit by von Richtofen for “5 +1 (2nd shot) +4 + 1 (2nd shot”) ignoring the “0” and jam – marksman) just as I caught up again after avoidin’ hittin’ them trees (von Richtofen hit by Brown for “2”. Brown’s gus jammed). I could see bits of all sorts breakin’ off of Wops Camel an’ I was sure Wop was a gonner!
    “But then the hun just broke off the attack and kept on goin’. That’s why I’m so darn sure I hit his engine or somethin’ else pretty important. He broke off his attack and I wasn’t about to go follow him ‘cos Wop wasn’t out of the woods yet. And that was that. I’m told by some of our flight that the hun was most definitely von Richtofen, so I guess I missed a trick there, by not goin’ after him”
    “Not at all old chap. You saw Wop safely behind our lines again and he probably wouldn’t have made it otherwise! That hun was best left alone is what I think” and everyone else seemed to agree. Except for a Mick that sat scowling by the bar. For him the only good hun is a dead hun! Another day perhaps, were his thoughts!

Name:	33 BE12.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	228412 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34 BE12.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	228413

“Well that was a tale and no mistake! How about another round chaps. I think we deserve it, don’t you?” said Arthur.
    “Sure do” replied Brown.
    “Then we better hear the rest of William’s story, ok William?”
    “Not a great deal more to tell really. Everyone was flying around in circles taking pop shots at any hun that appeared in the sights!
    “I managed to get in a few hits against the zebra (Brunig hit by Moorhouse for”2” + rudder damage, then again for “2 + 1”. Moorhouse’s guns jammed) before my guns jammed. I must have a word with the armourer about that too. It’s happening too damned frequently for my liking and makes me rather windy. Not nice being up there in the middle of a scrap and nothing to thow back at the hun!
    “I think the Zebra had a go at you too Arthur, right?” (Hammond hit by Brunig for “2 + 0 + rudder damage)
    “Yes he did old chap. Damaged my rudder in the process too. Rather inconvenient that! But I hit him too and saw his engine take fire! (Brunig hit by Hammond for “2” + fire. 1 kill to Hammond) Next thing you know, down he went! Horrible thing that. Seeing a man go down in flames. Makes my stomach turn over. I shall have bad dreams about it for days, I’m certain!”

Name:	35 BE12.jpg 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	228414 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36 BE12.jpg 
Size:	253.9 KB 
ID:	228415

Name:	37 BE12.jpg 
Size:	282.9 KB 
ID:	228416 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38 BE12.jpg 
Size:	266.7 KB 
ID:	228417

“Yes, well I thought that was going to be just about it for the day!” said William, “Only a single hun left facing us, so I thought he’d head off home. But he was having none of it! I saw Arthur struggling so I guess that must have been him trying to fix his rudder. He disappeared off, but the hun started following him. So I followed the hun. Nothing much else to do under the circumstances and he seemed to be heading back east. But then, suddenly he turned off to port. That’s when I saw our Camel again. Wop I guess it must have been. Uh oh! I thought.
    “And sure enough, the hun went after him!”

Name:	39 BE12.jpg 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	228418 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40 BE12.jpg 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	228419

Name:	41 BE12.jpg 
Size:	267.3 KB 
ID:	228420 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42 BE12.jpg 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	228421

“Yea, the so an’ so overshot Wop though, and put a few rounds a bit too close to yours truly” Brown commented (Brown hit by Benzler for “3 + 0”).

Name:	43 BE12.jpg 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	228422 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44 BE12.jpg 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	228423

“I saw that” William added. “In fact I was rather put off my aim, seeing you heading in my dirction. Put in a couple of bursts, but I’m not sure I did much damage! ( Benzler hit by Moorhouse for “0”; then for “1 + 1 (2nd hit); then for “0 + 4 + 1 (3rd hit) + smoke. Moorhouse’s guns are jammed again) Not the first couple of bursts anyhow. But then I managed to catch him on the turn and I saw smoke coming from his machine. I take it that was my doing. But he still didn’t go down. Plucky blighter, I’ll give him that!
    “That’s when Arthur finally decided to rejoin us after slouching off for a break.”
    “Hey, that’s enough of that, young William. Unless you want me to tip you on your backside right now! It isn’t easy fixing a rudder in mid air!”

Name:	45 BE12.jpg 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	228424 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46 BE12.jpg 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	228425

“Yes, we all know that” replied William. “Keep your hair on, we all know you do your bit!
    “Well don’t you forget it!”
    “Calm down boys. I guess the drink is beginning to mouth off, don’t you. Why don’t we have another round, then I shall finish off this story. Because, you know what? I guess it was me as got that last hun!”
    So they refilled their glasses and toasted, first the skipper, in the hopes he would return, then their gallant foe, which they hoped wouldn’t!

Name:	47 BE12.jpg 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	228426 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48 BE12.jpg 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	228427

Name:	49 BE12.jpg 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	228428 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50 BE12.jpg 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	228429

“So, for the record” announced Brown, “ I was circling around to try and get position on our hun, when I saw Arthur here come steaming in, guns blazing away! But the hun still wouldn’t go down (Benzler hit by Hammond for “3”). He did however, finally decide it was time to get out of there, ‘cos he turned sharply away from our Wop over there, and started to head off. But I guess he left it too late! I got on his tail and let him have some more lead (Benzler hit by Brown for “3”. 1 kill to Brown) And that’s when he finally bit dirt, so to speak! Down he went! Game over!”

Name:	51 BE12.jpg 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	228430 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52 BE12.jpg 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	228431

Name:	53 BE12.jpg 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	228432 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54 BE12.jpg 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	228433

“So there you have it gentlemen” William exclaimed. “We have three claims to make, against their one! A good days work if you ask me, providing the Skipper makes it back in one piece. So here’s to the Skipper again. May the Aussies be giving him a royal feast at this very moment!”

So, dear reader, as you have just witnessed, the Red Baron came nowhere near the brick factory this time around. Makes me wonder what difference that might have made a few years later!

Name:	56 BE12.jpg 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	228434

We never learn, do we?

The End

The Butcher’s Bill

Central Powers

Name:	IMG_20170718_180240.jpg 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	228435

Obltn Wilhelm Habich: / SD ET / WIA / No kills
    Roll 2D6 = 6 + 2 = 8 – 1 SD – 2 WIA = 5 Injured – skip 1D3 scenarios.
    Roll 1D6 = 3 skip 2 scenarios.
    E & E: Roll 2D6 = 2 + 4 = 6 – 2 WIA – 1 ET 3 = Captured and escaped – skip 1D3 scenarios.
    Roll 1D6 = 1 Skip 1 scenario.
    Result – Skip 2 scenarios.

Ltn Ernst Benzler: / SD ET / No kills
    Roll 2D6 = 5 + 3 = 8 – 1 SD = 7 Injured - skip 1D2 scenarios.
    Roll 1D6 = 6 Skip 2 scenarios.
    E & E: Roll 2D6 = 4 + 1 = 5 – 1 ET = 4 Captured and escaped – skip 1D3 scenarios.
    Roll 1D6 = 2 Skip 1 scenario.
    Result – Skip 2 scenarios.

Ltn Fritz Brünig: / SD ET / 1 Kill
    Roll 2D6 = 4 + 1 = 5 – 1 SD = 4 Injured – skip 1D6 scenarios.
    Roll 1D6 = 2 Skip 2 scenarios.
    E & E: Roll 2D6 = 4 + 1 = 5 – 1 ET = 4 Captured and escaped – skip 1D3 scenarios.
    Roll 1D6 = 6 skip 3 scenarios.
    Result – Skip 3 scenarios

Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen: Decided to break off his attack after receiving engine damage to his machine. Left the contended area stage right.

Entente

Name:	IMG_20170718_180241.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	228436

Lt Harold Medlicott (ace) MC; CdG Flight leader: EXP FT / I Kill
    Roll 2D6 = 4 + 3 = 7 – 3 EXP = 4 Injured – skip 1D6 scenarios
    Roll 1D6 = 3 Skip 3 scenarios
    Result – skip 3 scenarios

2nd Lt William Rhodes-Moorhouse / RTB / No kills
    Alls good when you land well

2nd Ltn Arthur Hammond / RTB / 1 kill
    Alls good when you land well
    (I believe this is Hammond’s 5th kill)

Rookie: Managed to survive his experience, just, with 13/15 damage. Exited from friendly edge.
    Captain Arthur Roy Brown: Survived to exit via friendly edge. 1 Kill to his name.

Mission Results:-
    Entente:
    Kaiser’s Eagles aircraft shot down – 3 6VP
    “Rookie” Camel exits the west edge of battle area 3VP
    “Veteran” Camel exits the west edge of battle area 1 VP
    Total: 10 VP

Central Powers:
    Bulldogs aircraft shot down – 1 2VP
    Ace Fokker exits east edge (eventually) 3VP
    Total: 5VP

Result: Entente Victory
    Last edited by flash; 07-21-2017 at 23:09.

Thumbs up

Great tale of "daring do" do Mike plus really great photos & that scenery is just brilliant!

Rep Inbound!

Top notch Mike, what a ride ! Your scenic boards look tremendous
    Uncle will be along after breakfast sometime, I saw him looking through your Tally report and grumbling on his way to the Mess !!

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, cleared the sky of Hun and nearly bagged the Baron to boot !
    We've had a little bit of news from the front - some chaps were poking around the wreckage of one of the planes we bagged and came up with an Oberleutnant... he wasn't to happy being put in the bag but once he's seen the MO we'll dine him out and see if we can cheer him up !!
    (You missed the WIC mod on all your E&E rolls - only made a real difference to Herr Habich but one to watch.)

Obltn Wilhelm Habich: / SD ET / 2WIA / No kills
    Roll 2D6 = 6 + 2 = 8 –1SD –2WIA = 5 Injured – skip 1D3 scenarios. Roll 1D6 = 3 skip 2 scenarios.
    E&E: Roll 2D6 = 2 + 4 = 6 – 2WIA -1WIC -1BEL = 2 Captured, the war is over for this pilot.
    Awarded Wound Badge in Gold

Ltn Ernst Benzler: / SD ET / No kills
    Roll 2D6 = 5 + 3 = 8 -1SD = 7 Injured - skip 1D2 scenarios. Roll 1D6 = 6 Skip 2 scenarios.
    E&E: Roll 2D6 = 4 + 1 = 5 -1WIC -1BEL = 3 - Captured and escaped – skip 1D3 scenarios. Roll 1D6 = 2 Skip 1 scenario.
    Result – Skip 2 scenarios. (RW) - Awarded Wound Badge in Silver

Ltn Fritz Brünig: / SD ET / 1 Kill
    Roll 2D6 = 4 + 1 = 5 -1 SD = 4 Injured – skip 1D6 scenarios. Roll 1D6 = 2 Skip 2 scenarios.
    E&E: Roll 2D6 = 4 + 1 = 5 –1WIC -1BEL = 3 Captured and escaped – skip 1D3 scenarios. Roll 1D6 = 6 skip 3 scenarios.
    Result – Skip 3 scenarios (WWR) - Awarded Wound Badge in Silver

Now onto our Bulldogs:
    I believe this is Hammond’s 5th kill
    Well, it would be if he wasn't lying in a hospital bed.....
    Unless he's flying against M.O's orders - or could it have been Alan McLeod getting his first ? (PM me and let me know!)

Hammond is confined to quarters next mission - he is awarded his MC for his fifth victory but no promotion.
    Last edited by flash; 07-19-2017 at 08:48.

"He is wise who watches"

Been looking forward to seeing this, Mike, and you did not disappoint!

Your new modular scenery looks fantastic.
    Really makes your AAR stand out.

I really loved the "banter" telling of the tale - really brings the whole thing to life.

REP inbound. Hopefully deliverable ...

Thanks for the comments guys Uncle, I am soooo sorry for having messed up on the tally system yet again! (Will they never learn ) I guess that's why you're the hofficer and I'm not So many thanks for keeping us all on our toes and doing all the corrections for us. Much appreciated!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys Uncle, I am soooo sorry for having messed up on the tally system yet again! (Will they never learn ) I guess that's why you're the hofficer and I'm not So many thanks for keeping us all on our toes and doing all the corrections for us. Much appreciated!
    Mike
    You're welcome, now take that with you and don't do it again !

"He is wise who watches"

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Excellent AAR. Especially loved the intro. Well told and excellent idea on creating stackable terrain.
    Sorry my guns are temporarily jammed.

Cheers Dale I haven't actually tried to stack or store them yet, and right now I'm thinking of adding a couple more. The storage "location" has still to be decided Could prove to be an "interesting" exercise

Thoughts on heroes

OK, so WGF is just a game. But since I started playing it, and particularly since I joined in with the OTT BE campaign, I have to admit that it has become a lot more than that to me persoanally. It has led to me doing much research, modelling, playing , painting and, finally, but certainly by no means least, writing. The latter has surprised me. I have never done this kind of writing before and I find myself drawn into it, totally. Perhaps I take it too seriously. But then WW1 is a serious subject. Seeing it as nothing more than a game is, in my opinion, not a good idea. I find, therefore, writing about the missions in this campaign becoming more and more an opportunity to examine my thoughts on what occurred.

We may, at this time, interpret words however we wish. Fortunately we still live in a society that tolerates freedom of speech. But often, the ambiguity in what we write can lead to contention. For this reason I want to say a little about the prologue in my latest AAR for the OTT campaign, just for the record!

From a personal point of view, as author, I was attempting to imply that the central character in the AAR, a particular hero (Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen), represents all heroes (mostly unnoticed), of all nations, regardless of the nature of their actions (i.e. stretcher bearers) and that there are those, usually in positions of safe, high authority, who manipulate such heroes to their own ends and not necessarily in the interests of anybody else! Also, that the results on morale, of the death of a hero can be devastating. This notion goes back for ever in history and mythology e.g. as expressed by Homer in the Iliad when he describes the effects of the death of Hector in his conflict with Achilles. There is nothing new in what I say.

MvR was yet another hero, amongst many, who is remembered, often for the wrong reasons. Amongst those for whom he is a role model, he will always be honoured and revered, but for the majority of the world’s general public he is largely remembered as the result of some poor films, cartoon strips in comics (Snoopy has a lot to answer for) and one or two awful pop songs (sorry guys – not my type of music) of a few decades ago. I, personally, find that sad and most regrettable.

As for the reference to “Mick”. That is obviously referring to Edward “Mick” Mannock. I understand, as I hope everyone does, that heroes are those who give their all for whatever reason. Who face their fears and conquer them. But often, in wartime, they remain arch enemies, even to the point of hatred. MvR had many outstandingly good qualities, not least of which were his leadership skills. But he was known to be a “detached” killer. Mick Mannock had pretty much all of the same good qualities, but he was also known to be motivated by hatred. War, creates such situations! Neither man appeals to me as a role model, but both have my respect!

Finally, is it good to have heroes? MvR died and his celebrity status therefore meant his death became publicly known, with very negative effects on his adherents. Mick Mannock also died and that went virtually unnoticed, then and now. The effects on morale for everyone else were therefore negligible!

The Central Powers chose to make celebrities of their “ace” pilots. The British authorities decided not to do that. Which decision was the correct one? I’m not sure I know the answer or even understand the full picture, but my thanks go to Carl Brisgamer for creating a mission which allowed me to explore the ideas. Not an easy moment in history to make a “game” of!

Very interesting view of it Mike.

"He is wise who watches"

Your map is a wonder to behold Mike, worth a bucket load of REP alone.

I am happy you enjoyed the mission, both in the playing and the telling.

G'day Mike!
    I was most interested in your post regarding your writing.
    I have been a keen amature WW1 aero historian from my teenage years (a LONG time ago)
    I have read many biographies of WW1 pilots, famous aces & some almost unknown. One stands in awe of their bravery in fighting in such fragile & flammable aircraft.
    I really enjoy writing up my AAR's & try to imbue my pilots with a personality & I feel a loss when I loose one.

Keep up your creative writing & if you can try to grab some of the Bios available. I guarantee you will enjoy them.

Thank you for your efforts..both the AAR and the musings...very thought provoking points and well worth time and consideration.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Mike, your writings definitely are thought provoking. Keep them coming and continue the excellent work you are doing. I'm glad you have the passion for what and how you write. Don't lose that.

Thanks again for all of these comments. I wasn't certain if I was going a bit over the top, given that this is meant to be a game. But somehow, the characters in the missions seem to be takeing on a kind of life of their own.

You're right Baz. The bios are an awesome bunch of reads. I have read through some already, from both sides. Cannot help but be influenced by them. Currently reading a bio on Mick Mannock (OK you guessed that one already) and of course he had to figure in the latest AAR.

Looking forward to the next round now - going to be a bit challenging I believe, given the numbers and types of aircraft involved. Here's a little taster of the scenery I hope to use, although I'm behind schedule with its' creation. Think I might be late again !

Name:	OTT BE Mission 13 taster.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	228875

Now that is over the trenches !
    One day maybe...

"He is wise who watches"

Awesome mats, Mike!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

One day maybe...
    Yep, that just about sums up the speed at which they are progressing

Mike another Supermarionation scenario . Love the cartoon features and the narrative. Rep gun firing .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

OOps Rep gun jammed , its those scenery tiles that are doing it !!!

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Mike, what did you use to dig your trenches and river beds?

Wonderful AAR Mike. Great thoughts on heroes. Those mats are beautiful.

Mike, what did you use to dig your trenches and river beds?
    Sorry Dale, only just seen this one. Re the tiles. I drew on them first, with a pencil. Then I used a scalpel blade to do the cutting, with the occasional use of a square sided blade to do the deep cut work. When I get around to it I'll post the process here, with a few pics. Needs a lot of patience and quite a bit of storage space afterwards, but I'm pleased with the effects
    Cheers
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-03-2017, 06:29
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-03-2017, 06:13
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-03-2017, 06:00
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2017, 05:33
  5. Replies: 11