Ares Games

Thread: OTTTBE Mission 13 5th May '18--Unlucky for some over the Somme--gully_raker

Smile OTTTBE Mission 13 5th May '18--Unlucky for some over the Somme--gully_raker

The War on the ground along the Somme front ground on relentlessly. Casualties mounted every day & despite what some folk thought it was no less hazardous in the Air. Both combatants wanted aerial superiority!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Somme 3.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 29.3 KB  ID: 228004" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Somme 4.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 206.6 KB  ID: 228006" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Somme 2.jpg  Views: 39  Size: 170.2 KB  ID: 228005" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Captain "Bon" King commander of C Flight Hearts of Oak Squadron called his Scout Pilots to a briefing. "Right Chaps. listen up!"
    GHQ has called for a maximum effort to gain aerial superiority from the jolly old Hun so our recon & artillery spotters can do their job without harassment". "First thing tomorrow morning I will lead a full complement of C Flight on an Offensive Patrol well into German Territory to try to clear the skies of German Aircraft".
    I will fly the Dolphin along with Lt "Tiny" Large as top cover & Lt "Quick" March will lead a flight of 3 Camels in No.1 with "Mick" O'Leary in No. 2 & Algy Smyth-Browne in No. 3". There have been reports of a new Hun fighter that matches or betters the performance of our crates so keep a good lookout for trouble!".

Meanwhile over on the German side of the lines Ltn. Parshau, Deputy Staffel leader, along with his other Scout pilots were inspecting the two new Fokker D.VII's that had been sent to the Eagles Jasta for appraisal. Their trial flights had shown these new fighters were a huge step forward from their ageing Albatross D.Va's.
    He looked directly at his crew & stated. "This is our chance to do some damage to those Verdammit British who have caused us such losses over the past weeks. Tomorrow I will lead a patrol in the Red & White Fokker along with Ltn Schnieder in the Lilac one while Ltn Jacobsen will lead a Kette of Albatross accompanied by Lt Hutterer in the one with the Eidleweiss & Vswb Huffzky will fly the black fuselage one. We will fly at different altitudes. The Fokkers at 6000ft & the Albatross at 5000 to try to lure the enemy to attack & we can dive down on them!

Early next morning C flight took off & were soon over the Front Lines. "Bon" spotted a group of what were obviously German Aircraft approaching from the Starboard quarter. He fired off a red flare to alert his pilots.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 01.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 164.3 KB  ID: 228008" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Alerted by Capt Kings warning Lt March signalled his Camels to climb up to meet the oncoming Albatross. Soon the two groups of aircraft converged & "Bon" using his Marksmans ability exchanged fire hitting Jacobsen's Albatross but receiving return fire from Hutterer's D.Va & Schnieder's D.VII.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 02.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 165.0 KB  ID: 228009" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The two leading Camels attacked Vswb Huffzky's Albatross & received return fire from both him & Ltn Parshau's D.V.II

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 04.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 127.7 KB  ID: 228011" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The two groups of aircraft now separated & manoeuvred for advantage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 05.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 133.0 KB  ID: 228012" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Parshau now got on the tail of "Quicks" Camel & managed to cause a flesh wound to his upper left arm. Ignoring the pain Quick turned away from the danger.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 06.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 138.4 KB  ID: 228013" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Apart from that fight the other two lots of aircraft were milling around trying to avoid collisions. Tiny Large had climbed up to the level of the Fokkers whilst "Bon" bided his time to see what developed.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 07.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 143.6 KB  ID: 228014" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

He was soon rewarded as both he & Mick O'Leary bracketed Hutterer's Albatross & they saw the pilot jerk in his seat. "That put one into him" thought "Bon".

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 08.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 146.2 KB  ID: 228015" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Tiny & Schneider now exchanged long range shots but did little damage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 09.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 149.2 KB  ID: 228016" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Some photographs somehow went AWOL at this stage but in the exchanges Algy Smyth-Browne's Camel was set on fire
    This is the first Fire damage card drawn!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 10.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 116.2 KB  ID: 228017" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Disaster now struck the Germans as the inexperienced Vswb Huffzky collided with his Kette leader who was busy clearing a gun jamb.
    The Black fuselaged Albatross spun down to a hard crash landing in German territory. Jacobsen's aircraft was fortunately undamaged.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 11.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 115.0 KB  ID: 228018" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The German leader now made a head on attack on Bons Dolphin causing damage whilst to rub salt into the wounds the Dolphins Lewis gun immediately jammed. (As Bon was still one Altitude peg below the Fokker at this point he fired the upward pointing Lewis mounted on the starboard side of the top wing!)

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 12.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 150.5 KB  ID: 228019" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Algy's Camel continued to burn but the fire seemed to be dying down.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 13.jpg  Views: 39  Size: 131.6 KB  ID: 228020" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Parshau now got a broadside burst into Mick's Camel but his guns also jammed!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 15.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 133.9 KB  ID: 228021" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Tiny also had gotten onto the tail of Ltn Huutterer's Albatross & caused good damage before his guns also Jammed!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 16.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 151.2 KB  ID: 228022" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Mick O'Leary now administered the Coup de Grace to Ltn Hutterer's Albatross & no sooner had he thought to himself "Begorrah Ove Made Ace" than he felt a hammer like blow to his Left Shoulder! "Bejeeses! He cried "Ove been hit! That bloody hurts" before he fainted for a few minutes. Fortunately his aircraft continued away from the Fokker before he came to & immediately turned for the safety of home but the fight had drifted well into German territory so he had a long & dangerous flight ahead of him.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 17.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 140.1 KB  ID: 228023" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The fire on Algy's Camel had now burnt out but the Aircraft was badly damaged so he too turned for home hoping to avoid any further damage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 14.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 89.6 KB  ID: 228024" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Bon who had now climbed to 6000 ft again used his Marksman skill put a damaging burst into Schneider's Fokker which caused its engine to omit clouds of black smoke.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 18.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 119.3 KB  ID: 228025" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As Mick O'Leary turned for home he came under close attack from Ltn Jaacobsen. Mick shuddered. "Blooody Hell, the poor old bus wont take much more o this! Oi might never get to enjoy making Ace!"

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 19.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 105.1 KB  ID: 228026" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Tiny Large now got a close range burst into the German leaders aircraft which also caused the Fokker to smoke but in return was under the guns of Jacobsen but the damage was light.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 20.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 96.7 KB  ID: 228027" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Lt March & Ltn Jacobsen now had a head on fight but amazingly no great damage occurred to either aircraft.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 21.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 146.6 KB  ID: 228028" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Jacobsen now got to the side of Quick's Camel & did damage this time!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 22.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 125.9 KB  ID: 228029" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Bon had continued to hound Schneider's Fokker & again got a good burst into the D.VII

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 23.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 103.5 KB  ID: 228030" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Shortly after he got another burst into the Fokker but saw little result.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 24.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 123.2 KB  ID: 228031" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Meanwhile preoccupied by their battle both Jacobsen's Albatross & "Quick" March's Camel exited the playing mat & so returned to their home aerodromes without taking any further involvement in the fight!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 25.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 98.5 KB  ID: 228032" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Tiny Large now made a head on pass at Parshau's D.VII & had the satisfaction of seeing the German aircraft catch fire & have its guns jam at the same time!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 26.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 144.9 KB  ID: 228033" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As the Aircraft passed the Fokker continued to burn but it seemed to have subsided somewhat.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 27.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 112.2 KB  ID: 228034" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Bon made another head on pass at Schneiders Fokker & although the German caused some damage to the Dolphin & caused its engine to smoke the damage Bon caused to the D.VII was just too much & the aircraft spun into the ground in No Mans Land.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 28.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 128.3 KB  ID: 228035" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=BB 8 a.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 38.9 KB  ID: 228036" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Parshau's Fokker continued to burn

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 29.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 93.0 KB  ID: 228037" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

In the meantime both Algy & Mick had managed to fly their damaged Camels back to The Hearts of Oak Aerodrome without interference from any German Aircraft as they were fully occupied by the Dolphin & SE 5a.
    As the First Aid men lifted Mick from his Aircraft he rubbed the St Christopher medal screwed to his instrument panel. "Thank you Lord & all His Saints for bringing me home!"

The Fokker's fire then burnt out but there was no relief for Parshau as Tiny Large got a good burst into the D.VII & wounded the German Pilot. The Fokker now spun into the ground near the River in German Territory.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 30.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 119.5 KB  ID: 228038" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 31.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 102.3 KB  ID: 228039" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The last German Aircraft had crashed & left the Dolphin & SE 5a in control of the skies over the Somme!

OBSERVATIONS & COMMENTS

Wow! What a great marathon fight that was! Pilot Wounds & Fires Galore!
    Thought my chaps were in deep trouble when Quick copped a wound early but thankfully not one that required him to head for home like Mick O'Leary's did & Algy caught fire. Algy was lucky too as the fire died out to allow him to make it back to base. Mick got home with only ONE damage point to spare.
    I used Zoe's Altitude rules & flash's D8 charts. I rolled a 3 on the Random Set Up chart for the German Aircraft.
    Don't know how I lost about 4 photos(?) Pete's problem must be catching!
    Last edited by gully_raker; 07-18-2017 at 18:56.

The Butchers Bill

British Forces

Capt "Bon" King (Dolphin)
    Ace--Marksman 1
    RTB--1 kill--Ltn Schneider Fokker D.VII (Red/White)
    10 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 2.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 91.3 KB  ID: 228040" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

2nd Lt "Tiny" Large (SE 5a "G")
    Ace--Lucky Git
    RTB--1 Kill--Ltn Parshau Fokker D.VII (Lilac)
    2 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 3.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 87.7 KB  ID: 228041" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Lt. Anthony "Quick" March (Camel No.1)
    Ace--Lucky Git
    RTB/WIA (Flew off playing surface)
    7 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 5.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 90.7 KB  ID: 228042" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

2nd Lt "Mick" O'Leary (Camel No.2)
    RTB/WIA--1 Kill--Ltn Hutterer Albatross eidleweiss
    14 damage points !

Name:	<acronym title=BB 4.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 113.8 KB  ID: 228043" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

2nd Lt Algy Smyth-Browne (Camel No.3)
    RTB
    11 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 1.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 105.6 KB  ID: 228044" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

German Forces

Ltn Parshau Fokker D.VII red/white
    SD/WIA/FT (by Tiny Large)
    18 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 9.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 114.1 KB  ID: 228045" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Schneider Fokker D.VII Lilac
    SD/NML (by Cpt Bon King)
    17 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 8.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 102.3 KB  ID: 228046" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Jacobsen Albatross dragon
    RTB---flew off playing surface
    6 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 10.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 82.0 KB  ID: 228047" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Hutterer Albatross Eidleweiss
    SD/WIA/FT (by Mick O'Leary)
    16 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 6.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 129.6 KB  ID: 228048" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

VsBW Huffzky Albatross black fuselage
    Exp/Collision/FT
    5 damage points+ Exp

Name:	<acronym title=BB 7.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 111.4 KB  ID: 228050" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Dave may I impose on you to do the survival rolls please.
    I prefer to have a neutral person do them rather than myself & you always do them so accurately!
    Last edited by gully_raker; 07-14-2017 at 19:27.

Wonderful read as usual, Baz.

Your boys pulled off quite the victory.
    I only hope the Eagles they shot down survive.
    Go easy on them, Dave ...

I played mine today - 6 on 6 - and, I must say, I will have more pleasure posting the AAR than I have had in a long while ...
    Sorry to hear you caught the photo bug that has been going around.

Luckily your story did not suffer too much for it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Wonderful read as usual, Baz.

Your boys pulled off quite the victory.
    I only hope the Eagles they shot down survive.
    Go easy on them, Dave ...

I played mine today - 6 on 6 - and, I must say, I will have more pleasure posting the AAR than I have had in a long while ...
    Sorry to hear you caught the photo bug that has been going around.

Luckily your story did not suffer too much for it.
    Thanks for the nice words Pete!
    Glad to hear you have finally had a successful mission by the sounds of it.
    Will look forward to reading of your Eagles exploits.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Congratulations on a job well done. The Bulldogs rule the skies for now even with the new Fokker coming into play.

Ach du Lieber!!! Well done to your Bulldogs, they certainly punished the Eagles on this outing despite facing two new Fokkers.

I know the German belt buckles say 'Gott mit Uns' but the card Gods were definitely favouring the Entente with zeroes drawn by the Bulldogs at a rate of three to one over the Eagles!

I think the Luftstreitkräfte needs to spend more time on gunnery practice

Baz, that was quite a ding dong battle, your chap's went at it hammer and tongs and emerged victorious - just !
    Uncle will be along in a moment to review the Tally.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, that was quite a scrap, we didn't fare too bad but your reports of a new type in the hands of the Eagles is a trifle concerning - I can only hope the other flights fare as well....

Lt. Anthony "Quick" March: (Camel No.1) - Ace--Lucky Git - RTB/WIA/ 0 kills
    Rolled 6 +3RTB -1WIA = 8 - Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 5 = Skip 2 (WW)

2nd Lt "Mick" O'Leary: (Camel No.2) RTB/WIA--1 Kill--Ltn Hutterer Albatross edelweiss - 14 damage points !
    Rolled 9 +3RTB -1WIA = 11 All well when you land well.

Ltn Kurt Parshau: Fokker D.VII red/white - SD/WIA/FT (by Tiny Large) - 18 damage points
    Rolled 7 -1SD -1WIA = 5 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 3 = Skip 2 (WW)

Ltn Richard Schneider: Fokker D.VII Lilac - SD/NML (by Cpt Bon King) - 17 damage points
    Rolled 6 -1SD -1NML = 4 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 2 = Skip 2
    E&E Rolled 7 -1WIC +1NML = 7 Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario. Total Skips 2 (RW)

Ltn Paul Hutterer: Albatross Eidleweiss SD/WIA/FT (by Mick O'Leary) - 16 damage points
    Rolled 5 -1SD -1WIA = 3 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 1 = Skip 1 !

VsBW Otto Huffzky: Albatross black fuselage - COL-EXP/FT - 5 damage points + Exp
    Rolled 2 -3EXP = -1 KIA

2Lt Mick O'Leary: Is awarded the Military Cross and Croix de Guerre for his fifth victory
    Last edited by flash; 07-16-2017 at 09:52.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Many Thanks for the Survival Rolls Dave. Some good results there. Ltn Hutterer was very fortunate but not so Vswb Huffzky.

Mick O'Leary made Ace in that mission & seeing he got back with only one Damage point left he must be---"A Lucky Git"!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    ...Mick O'Leary made Ace in that mission & seeing he got back with only one Damage point left he must be---"A Lucky Git"!
    I will make it so !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I will make it so !
    Thank you Capt Picard Sir!---Er I think I got my timeline confused!

Thanks Dave/Uncle.

Epilogue

The following evening the Officers Mess of C Flight was really rocking. A huge "Knees Up" was taking place to celebrate Mick O'Leary's 5th Victory and accompanying Medals.
    Plus additional Victories for Capt Bon King & Tiny Large.
    There were other reasons to celebrate as well. Algy Smyth-Browne had nursed his fire damaged Camel back to base, Mick's wound turned out to be only superficial & Quick's wound would get him a couple of weeks sick leave in Blighty.
    The party was enlivened when both Major Triggers & Major Kyte arrived bringing more Champagne & a bottle of Irish Whisky for O'Leary .
    There was also a message from GHQ congratulating the Flight on an outstanding result including destroying two of the new Fokker Scouts.
    Major Kyte advised that tomorrows morning patrol was cancelled but he expected everyone on deck for the evening patrol!
    The mess then descended further into chaos!

Epilogue 2

At the Eagles Nest Officers Mess

Ltn Georg Steltzmier glanced around the dinner table. "So many new faces" he thought. "Has Gott abandoned us?"
    It seemed to him that every time they went up against the Verdammit Hearts of Oak flights of the Bulldogs they came off second best!
    Their previous Kette Leader Wilhelm Ulmer would not be back from hospital for some weeks & now his stand-in & Georg's friend Ltn Kurt Parshau would be away for 2 weeks along with the other experienced Eagle Ltn Richard Schnieder both of who were wounded in the last big Dogfight. One of the new replacement pilots had also been killed. Still he knew that they had at least wounded two of the British Pilots & badly damaged two of the Camels they were fighting. It could have been so different if one of the new Fokker D.VII's had not been set on fire & then Kurt was wounded. He was still surprised how well the British SE 5a's had performed against the D.VII's
    He took some hope from the reports about the ability of the new Fokkers. If only they had had the opportunity to get more experience with them before that fight.

Suddenly the door to the mess opened & the always friendly face of "Onkel" appeared with his arms full of bottles of Schnappes.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Onkel.jpg  Views: 14  Size: 15.0 KB  ID: 229166" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

"Come my Liebchens! Why the long faces? We will be receiving brand new D.VII's & I hear the Siemans will soon be cleared for active service again. Our three old comrades will be back with us soon, so drink up & be determined to take revenge on those Britishers with the pretty Hearts on their wings!"

Excellent Baz and congratulations to Mick O'Leary on his gong! One hell of a dust up there, but you cleared the skies - well done. Pity about Otto Huffsky! I always detest losing pilots, from either side. Lost one of my own in this one - very careless of me.

Cheers
    Mike

Great to see another 'Ace' in the fold. Mick deserved it. All those early jams made it look like this could be a marathon but the pace quickened up soon enough.
    More victories for the leaders of the squadron, good to lead by example! Morale must be pretty high right now.

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTTTBE Mission 13, Unlucky for Somme - May 5th 1918 - by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-07-2017, 06:36
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-03-2017, 06:00
  3. AAR OTTTBE Mission 7 - Something must be done - 7th Feb 1918
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-23-2017, 17:26
  4. AAR OTTTBE Mission 6 She'll be coming round the mountain.
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-02-2017, 03:50
  5. AAR Early Doors Mission 9--Last Gasp of the Somme--52 Sqd--gully_raker.
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 02:35