Results 1 to 41 of 41

Thread: A Slippery Slope Indeed...

  1. #1

    Default A Slippery Slope Indeed...

    I am beginning to understand the "slippery slope" comments made by members of this site on other threads. I discovered today that a gaming shop I frequent had stocked up on Ares products....I came away with two Sopwith Strutters, two Lancasters, two B-17s, a Spitfire (my 3rd), and three 109s....I MAY be having a problem....is there a 12 step program for this ???

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    I am beginning to understand the "slippery slope" comments made by members of this site on other threads. I discovered today that a gaming shop I frequent had stocked up on Ares products....I came away with two Sopwith Strutters, two Lancasters, two B-17s, a Spitfire (my 3rd), and three 109s....I MAY be having a problem....is there a 12 step program for this ???

    So sorry for your soul.

    There is no escape, there is no hope, I need also tell you there is no final acquisition level, the pit is bottomless and only, to quote Zoe, our resident wisdom, "only madness dwells there".

    I have been circling, swirling here for many years. I have searched restlessly over the years to find all the lost planes, the lost sets, lost releases, found them, rescued them, given them hangar for shelter, but they had lost friends to find, first a second of each, then a third and why not a kettle, a wing, a squadron . . . then the repaint voices begin to waft across the workbench, the need for one more, maybe two, to customize-pulls you into a deep realm where the light of hope is traded for an airbrush and more decals, the cards call, we need this version, that version, and then the silence of "what if . . . " chills the soul.

    No, "I can give up anytime!" lurks not in my vocabulary or even my thoughts any longer, it is just us, and we are legion . . . hope this helps! Cheers!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    So sorry for your soul.

    There is no escape, there is no hope, I need also tell you there is no final acquisition level, the pit is bottomless and only, to quote Zoe, our resident wisdom, "only madness dwells there".

    I have been circling, swirling here for many years. I have searched restlessly over the years to find all the lost planes, the lost sets, lost releases, found them, rescued them, given them hangar for shelter, but they had lost friends to find, first a second of each, then a third and why not a kettle, a wing, a squadron . . . then the repaint voices begin to waft across the workbench, the need for one more, maybe two, to customize-pulls you into a deep realm where the light of hope is traded for an airbrush and more decals, the cards call, we need this version, that version, and then the silence of "what if . . . " chills the soul.

    No, "I can give up anytime!" lurks not in my vocabulary or even my thoughts any longer, it is just us, and we are legion . . . hope this helps! Cheers!
    Alas ! I feared this was the case....I am lost, lost I say!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    ....I MAY be having a problem....is there a 12 step program for this ???
    Drive to parking lot, twelve steps into store, select models, empty wallet, no problem...

    "He is wise who watches"

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Drive to parking lot, twelve steps into store, select models, empty wallet, no problem...
    I'm afraid I just did that !!!

  6. #6

    Default

    Only solace: you are not alone . . . and we have cookies . . .

  7. #7

    Default

    Definitely not alone ...

    I started in early 2014 with a WGF Dual Pack and a few others to round it out.
    Then went back a week later and bought a bunch more.
    Over the next year I managed to get most of the WGF planes (just one of each I told myself) and managed to avoid WGS altogether.
    That lasted until I saw a post from someone wanting to get out of WGS.
    Most of the ones I wanted were no longer available so I decided to take up the offer.


    And I still had not played a single turn yet ...

    Fast forward to present day:
    235 WGF
    199 WGS

    I think I need more than twelve steps ...

  8. #8

    Default

    My life's motto has been, "Too much of a good thing is never enough".

    The only limit to your collection is the dreaded....STORAGE!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    I am beginning to understand the "slippery slope" comments made by members of this site on other threads.
    ....
    I MAY be having a problem....is there a 12 step program for this ???
    Someone on the Forum suggested that Wings of Glory is not so much a "slippery slope", and a bit more like the luge.

    Just a taste: Queenstown Luge Run in New Zealand POV

    Hang on for dear life, and enjoy the ride?

  10. #10

    Default

    The slope is not that bad, it is the hole at the bottom called Shapeways that will get you.

  11. #11

    Default

    It is said there are some who just play with cards. Never met one of course. Bit like BigFoot.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    The slope is not that bad, it is the hole at the bottom called Shapeways that will get you.
    So true!

    Nexus, Ares, AIM and Shapeways; the four harbingers of the aeronautical Apocalypse (and the most fearsome of the four is Shapeways......................)

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Someone on the Forum suggested that Wings of Glory is not so much a "slippery slope", and a bit more like the luge.

    Just a taste: Queenstown Luge Run in New Zealand POV

    Hang on for dear life, and enjoy the ride?
    Oh my goodness that looks fun. I don't think I'd do it in shorts and a T though. I doubt this would be allowed in the US unless you sign a waiver and get an insurance policy!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    So true!

    Nexus, Ares, AIM and Shapeways; the four harbingers of the aeronautical Apocalypse (and the most fearsome of the four is Shapeways......................)
    Ah yes ... Shapeways. I thought I'd try one to see what they were like...I'm to afraid to count, and now I am the enabler.

  15. #15

    Default

    I thought I was alone until I found this place. At first I thought I get all the WWI planes when they come out, how many do that. Then I thought I have 120+ WWI & 120+ WWII planes which is a lot. That is until I see how many others have so now I don't feel that bad. Its something you like and enjoy. My wife says it keeps me out of bars LOL. I have the planes, meet great people here and in person and just have fun collecting the planes and playing the game.
    At Historicon I ran into a guy I have played WWI with. He is from Canada and come down each year. We were comparing collections and mine is nothing compared to his. He has 3 of each set so add that up. It may be a Slippery Slope but it is a fun ride so ENJOY.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    ...

    At Historicon I ran into a guy I have played WWI with. He is from Canada and come down each year. We were comparing collections and mine is nothing compared to his. He has 3 of each set so add that up.

    ...
    Sooo. Who is this Canadian, and is he on the Forum?

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Someone on the Forum suggested that Wings of Glory is not so much a "slippery slope", and a bit more like the luge.

    Just a taste: Queenstown Luge Run in New Zealand POV

    Hang on for dear life, and enjoy the ride?
    Skyline Luge - Queenstown/

    I want one of these in Canada! Why isn't there one of these in Canada?

    There IS! And it is in Calgary, where my sister lives!

    Skyline Luge - Calgary

    My sister, the biggest Wings of Glory brick & mortar retailer in Canada, and this? I might have to move.

    PPS: And there is one in Mont Tremblant, just north of Montreal, for those on the east side of the country. Gack.

    Note: These are all part of Skyline New Zealand corp. Started there in 1985, and now in six locations around the world.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-14-2017 at 15:02.

  18. #18

    Default

    Step 1: see the minis being played at a con or FLGS.
    Step 2: Play a game or two
    Step 3: Buy a RAP, or other introductory pack
    Step 4: Join the forums, find out where you can find new minis
    Step 5: Wait for new releases from Ares
    Step 6: Start haunting the secondary markets
    Step 7: Realize that what you can't find here, or from Ares, you can find on other make-your-own designers, like Shapeways
    Step 8: Oh, just F the rest BUY ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL THE THINGS!

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    I am beginning to understand the "slippery slope" comments made by members of this site on other threads. I discovered today that a gaming shop I frequent had stocked up on Ares products....I came away with two Sopwith Strutters, two Lancasters, two B-17s, a Spitfire (my 3rd), and three 109s....I MAY be having a problem....is there a 12 step program for this ???


    yes! most definitely! run out and buy 12 more minis without further delay!!!!

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    So sorry for your soul.

    There is no escape, there is no hope, I need also tell you there is no final acquisition level, the pit is bottomless and only, to quote Zoe, our resident wisdom, "only madness dwells there".

    I have been circling, swirling here for many years. I have searched restlessly over the years to find all the lost planes, the lost sets, lost releases, found them, rescued them, given them hangar for shelter, but they had lost friends to find, first a second of each, then a third and why not a kettle, a wing, a squadron . . . then the repaint voices begin to waft across the workbench, the need for one more, maybe two, to customize-pulls you into a deep realm where the light of hope is traded for an airbrush and more decals, the cards call, we need this version, that version, and then the silence of "what if . . . " chills the soul.

    No, "I can give up anytime!" lurks not in my vocabulary or even my thoughts any longer, it is just us, and we are legion . . . hope this helps! Cheers!



    without a doubt, dave, youve got "the sickness" worse than most. your continued, cheerful perseverance in the face of this silent financial drain is an inspiration to us all!!!

  21. #21

    Smile

    You have a problem? Naaar you are just a normal Wings fanatic er I mean Player!

    "Its a fine line indeed between going out in a Blaze of Glory or having Crashed & Burnt!"
    Member Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians

  22. #22

    Default

    Could always join Wogaholics anonymous.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Could always join Wogaholics anonymous.
    I may have to ... my two new P-40s arrived today ...somebody help me!!!

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    I may have to ... my two new P-40s arrived today ...somebody help me!!!
    Tooooooooooooooooooooooo LATE!

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Step 1: see the minis being played at a con or FLGS.
    Step 2: Play a game or two
    Step 3: Buy a RAP, or other introductory pack
    Step 4: Join the forums, find out where you can find new minis
    Step 5: Wait for new releases from Ares
    Step 6: Start haunting the secondary markets
    Step 7: Realize that what you can't find here, or from Ares, you can find on other make-your-own designers, like Shapeways
    Step 8: Oh, just F the rest BUY ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL THE THINGS!
    A bit like Sam above I started out small, but it soon snowballs. I started running a local campaign in 2009 and soon stopped buying anything else gaming related to focus on these systems. In short I became the Brisbane 'Wings of War/Glory Guy'. The collection has grown from two aircraft miniatures in late 2008 to 550 nine years later which allows me to pretty much field aircraft from any theatre of operations in WW1 or WW2.

  26. #26

    Default

    Just wait until you play _Sails of Glory_.... >;)

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Just wait until you play _Sails of Glory_.... >
    How many times do we have to tell you Chris - NO SAILS!!!

    (Just kidding it is a great game, but I'll use other people's gear thanks).

  28. #28

    Default

    You need to check out how bad some of us have it:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...oted-2-JUN-14)
    Note that my own last stated count (post #154) is outdated by several purchases
    Karl'
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    You need to check out how bad some of us have it:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...oted-2-JUN-14)
    Note that my own last stated count (post #154) is outdated by several purchases
    Karl'
    Well, after reviewing that thread I now realize I am probably a hopeless case.... ...but I am told there are cookies....
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 07-16-2017 at 12:57.

  30. #30

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    Snipped****** ...but I am told there are cookies....
    Only if you turn to the Dark Side---AKA WW2.

    "Its a fine line indeed between going out in a Blaze of Glory or having Crashed & Burnt!"
    Member Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians

  31. #31

  32. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    I am beginning to understand the "slippery slope" comments, I MAY be having a problem....is there a 12 step program for this ???
    The good news Bill, you are now enrolled in the 12 step program. It is downhill all the way from here.
    Welcome to the dark side. I started here several years ago and now have over 200 planes. The slope is less slick the more planes you have, unless you have elves working for you.
    My current count is 105 WGF and 133 WGS. With a purchase of 10 more being considered.
    Last edited by Setarius; 07-17-2017 at 15:15.

  33. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Only if you turn to the Dark Side---AKA WW2.
    In a fairly short period of time I seem to have acquired 26 WW2 planes...cookies here I come!

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    The good news Bill, you are now enrolled in the 12 step program. It is downhill all the way from here.
    Welcome to the dark side. I started here several years ago and now have over 200 planes. The slope is less slick the more planes you have, unless you have elves working for you.
    My current count is 105 WGF and 133 WGS. With a purchase of 10 more being considered.
    I fear you may be right: "It is downhill all the way from here" -- unfortunately true in more ways than one!

  35. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    In a fairly short period of time I seem to have acquired 26 WW2 planes...cookies here I come!
    Welcome to the club Bill. For a relaxing game WGF is perfect, but when you really want to get your hardcore 'Wings' on you can't beat WGS.

  36. #36

    Default

    Aaah yes. So many sad tales My wife worked in our National Health Service all her working life. She has a medical term for our wonderful way of life. I think it is spelled OBSESSION. She says there is a cure, comprising a combination of housework, decorating, childcare and gardening, together with the occassional visit to what we describe as "National Trust" properties, to see how others keep their houses and to see more gardens. Personally I find the cure has completely failed. I am well past the Nexus / Ares stage and well into the Shapeways sector of my ailment - and I love it. The guys who have already expressed their views are quite correct. There is no cure. So just enjoy the fact in the years ahead

    PS
    The only limit to your collection is the dreaded....STORAGE!
    Regarding Peter's very relevant point - number one son recently suggested I solve the storage problem by investing the kids inheritance in the largest KR trunks I can find (he spotted one in use by Flying Helmut recently). That way, he said, with all of my models stored in trunks, I was always ready to be packed off, even at short notice, to the nearest old people's home, or other home for those with my sickness
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 07-18-2017 at 06:36.

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Aaah yes. So many sad tales My wife worked in our National Health Service all her working life. She has a medical term for our wonderful way of life. I think it is spelled OBSESSION. She says there is a cure, comprising a combination of housework, decorating, childcare and gardening, together with the occassional visit to what we describe as "National Trust" properties, to see how others keep their houses and to see more gardens. Personally I find the cure has completely failed. I am well past the Nexus / Ares stage and well into the Shapeways sector of my ailment - and I love it. The guys who have already expressed their views are quite correct. There is no cure. So just enjoy the fact in the years ahead

    PS Regarding Peter's very relevant point - number one son recently suggested I solve the storage problem by investing the kids inheritance in the largest KR trunks I can find (he spotted one in use by Flying Helmut recently). That way, he said, with all of my models stored in trunks, I was always ready to be packed off, even at short notice, to the nearest old people's home, or other home for those with my sickness
    If one more box with planes in it arrives, my wife may be tempted to ship ME off to the old folks home ASAP...

  38. #38

    Default

    I bought the last release of WWI birds over 2 months ago. They are still in the shipping box all wrapped up. I have a bunch of kick starter stuff still wrapped. I have so many planes already but I feel obligated to just keep buying more..............................I cant explain it. I had our group over this weekend and we played some planes I have had well over a year and the decks were still sealed!

  39. #39

    Default

    Strange...My wife will play the game with me...just so long as I let her think she wins half the time..(HMMM...Let who think??)

  40. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Strange...My wife will play the game with me...just so long as I let her think she wins half the time..(HMMM...Let who think??)
    Of course my problem is that my wife is WAY more intelligent than me, and better looking too ! (this was a paid political announcement)

  41. #41

    Default

    I think I might need to start a savings account for the number of Corsairs I plan to purchase. Good thing I will likely have a year or two to get ready...

    The one airplane I own that has not been release from the original package is a Nexus WoW Hawker Hurricane I picked up cheap on ebay.



Similar Missions

  1. General Going down the slippery slope.
    By guthroth in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-09-2015, 18:14
  2. R/C slope soaring aerobatics
    By surfimp in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 03:29
  3. oh dear, I'm on the slippery slope!
    By Dowters in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 06:05

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •