Ares Games

Thread: UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!

Exclamation UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!

In the past few weeks I have rebuilt models, rebuilt computers, rebuilt models again, and built new computers, not to mention the 100's of posts I have made on this site...

Guys I have been disabled for four years now... and because of that I have been very inactive...I am not used to this much activity. My fingers are sore and dried out from super glue fumes and pulling and replacing connectors. I have cut myslef twice now and my old eyes are become crossed from looking at little tiny parts... I have glued the struts on this Tripe model over half a dozen times now trying to get it just right!

What I am trying to say is this: I am having a blast!!!! I love it! I have things to do... and people to talk to!!! You guys are awesome!

What I am also trying to say is: "HOLY CRAP I am tired... I am gonna take a short break... cya tomorrow night! (unless of course I wake in the middle of the night tonight and can't go back to sleep...)

Peace Out!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jared
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Glad to hear. Watch out for the glue fumes.

Tom
    naw, the pink elephants say the fumes have no ill effects

The white putty is way worse than superglue... and back when I did plastic modeling and used MEK... well that stuff can make ya see Elvis if you get a good wiff... and most times he was taking requests!!!!

And yep... I woke up at 1 AM... figures.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    that stuff can make ya see Elvis if you get a good wiff... and most times he was taking requests!!!!
    Now that is worrying. Seeing Elvis. I will stick to the cyanoacrylate. At least that only makes your eyes sore if the fumes get in there. Ouch got that in my eye. That's better safety specs.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Default from pa

I just glad to hear that you are still have love for it even after all the (STUFF)!!you had to dill with !!! hang in there it get's better as long as you are still having (FUN) with it !!!

Sorry to hear about your sleep pattern, so pull up a sandbag and well regale you with tales, well say hi anyway. Dont know if you can get the British flight but I put an after action report there which you may like to look at

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one suffering, my eyes are getting worse, my mind is slower on the uptake especialy computor stuff and TV Remotes and the thing that anoy's me the most is my essential tremmors (I am over doseing on that medication) where I have got to have split second timeing in between the shaking to glue bits together. And yet I would not swap this hobby for anything else in this world!

You're worrying about fumes...I'm worrying about the double Manhattans or the Martinis...

I welcome those.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    You're worrying about fumes...I'm worrying about the double Manhattans or the Martinis...

Ah it's the fumes! I see. And all this time I thought you had BSE???

Always good to talk to you Ken. This modern age of technology means that we are no longer just sad individuals sat in our rooms building models. Now we have a computer too and even less reason to leave the room - LOL

You have fun posting and model building, we have fun reading your reports and seeing your work, sounds like benfits for all. I know I already sent you a VM, but check out the "A bit of Trivia" thread from Flying Officer Kyte for more build tips to help with the second TripeHound. I use the jigs in a different way it may work for you.
    Last edited by gregbond77; 12-03-2010 at 15:33. Reason: spelling

Glad your enjoying the Drome as much as the rest of us, Ken!

Thanks Tony, Scott, and Greg! Turns out the glue fumes were not what was getting me... it was a sinus infection, turned into a chest cold... been kicking my butt, so I have gotten little done on any of my projects... nor have I been on here half as much...

Supposed to go play some WoW at the FLGS tomorrow... but if this gets any worse I may have to cancel!!!! GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! (Hopin' it is not Mad Cow disease... or Hoof and Mouth....) Someone please email me some cough lozenges!!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I am not able to recommend you medicines Try a cup of warm milk and honey.

Wiskey (or grappa) doesn't reduce the discomfort in the throat and cough It's an excuses not a remedy But definitely better than fumigations of glue

Attilio

Sorry to hear you are unwell Ken. Hope you are a bit more chipper in the next few days. Get some hot todddy down you.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 12-05-2010 at 11:07.

I recommend at least 8 large Brandies. They don't do anything to cure you, just stop you caring about being ill - lol

Get well soon mate!

How's the cold and cough Ken? I saw on television that in UK there is a lot of snow and it's very cold. A solitary mission against a balloon could be a way to spend time

Get well soon old chap!

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    How's the cold and cough Ken? I saw on television that in UK there is a lot of snow and it's very cold. A solitary mission against a balloon could be a way to spend time

Get well soon old chap!

Attilio
    My Jacobite friends and I were out in it yesterday beating up some government troops near Derby. I'm not suprised that Prince Charles Edward Stewart chose to spend the rest of his life in your country.
    Rob.

The weather is not so good even here, Rob.

For your info Charlse Edward Stewart (he was born in Rome) precordia is in a small urn in Frascati Cathedral under the floor below the funeral monument. His body is in Saint Peter's Basilica.

Frascati is a location of Castelli Romani, not so far my home.

I have to visit Scotland but you have to visit Rome and its neighborhood!

Attilio

LOL I never took into account how hard it is to paint a tiny miniature when you are coughing your lungs out... majorly frustrating! Luckily "Cow Spots" allow for some freehand error as needed.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken, dont't worry so much about the fumes, ease up with your hands. I've painted thousands (really) of miniature soldiers, from 1/285th to 54mm for a good number of years. I recently had an operation for carpel tunnel, & I think it was due to having too much hobby "fun". Joe

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpopper View Post
    Ken, dont't worry so much about the fumes, ease up with your hands. I've painted thousands (really) of miniature soldiers, from 1/285th to 54mm for a good number of years. I recently had an operation for carpel tunnel, & I think it was due to having too much hobby "fun". Joe
    Heheheh thanks! The coughing is from a bad chest cold I came down with over the last few days... not the fumes. I like the fumes... I like those purple Elephants! They keep me company.

Sorry to hear about your Carpal... major bummer to have to have surgery for it. I may have to watch how much I am typing on here more than my hobby work.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken, are you better? I I hope cold and cough are meliorate.

Attilio

Ken, are you better? I I hope cold and cough are meliorate.

Attilio
    Wow... I had to look up the word "meliorate"! Had never heard that one before! It is now my "Word of the Day!!"

To answer your question: Yes I am feeling a bit better... The cough is working its way out of my body... I even got a little painting done last night! (Be patient with me... it takes a little time to get those "Cow Spots" just right!)

Thanks for for your concern! Now I am off to go find someone to use my new vocabulary on!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

What's the opposite of meliorate? I've had a bad cough since January 18, 2009, and it hasn't meliorated yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    What's the opposite of meliorate? I've had a bad cough since January 18, 2009, and it hasn't meliorated yet.
    LOL Larry... I believe the best choice in your case would be "deteriorate"... as in:

"You should probably get x-rays to have the paper clips removed from your lungs before they deteriorate even more"

Hope that gets better soon Larry!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

LOL Larry... I believe the best choice in your case would be "deteriorate"... as in:

"You should probably get x-rays to have the paper clips removed from your lungs before they deteriorate even more"

Hope that gets better soon Larry!
    In the last two years I've seen enough doctors to cast a soap opera, but I don't think any of them checked for paper clips! Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    In the last two years I've seen enough doctors to cast a soap opera, but I don't think any of them checked for paper clips! Thanks for the tip.
    I watched some ER show on TLC last week where a guy had accidentally had a thumb tack drop down his throat and lodge in his lung. Happened while he was taking down decorations...

Just another thing to watch out for when removing flash from Reviresco model kits!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Wow... I had to look up the word "meliorate"! Had never heard that one before! It is now my "Word of the Day!!"

To answer your question: Yes I am feeling a bit better... The cough is working its way out of my body... I even got a little painting done last night! (Be patient with me... it takes a little time to get those "Cow Spots" just right!)

Thanks for for your concern! Now I am off to go find someone to use my new vocabulary on!
    I find "meliorate" on my big dictionary (one of the most complete in Italy) with to improve, to better, to ameliorate, to alleviate and a few useless examples.

From the time of school I am convinced that the dictionaries are made with the intent to let you write or say the exact opposite of what you want and the Google translator doesn't help, indeed ....

My english isn't very well but the intent was good I'm glad to know that you're better!

Attilio

I find "meliorate" on my big dictionary (one of the most complete in Italy) with to improve, to better, to ameliorate, to alleviate and a few useless examples.

From the time of school I am convinced that the dictionaries are made with the intent to let you write or say the exact opposite of what you want and the Google translator doesn't help, indeed ....

My english isn't very well but the intent was good I'm glad to know that you're better!

Attilio
    Your choice of words was perfect! It means what you wanted it to mean, and I got to learn a new word as well! It might be easier if American English made any sense in the first place... and then you add in that pretty much every state has a couple of different dialects... it can get confusing!

Again I appreciate that you showed concern... I am feeling better hour by hour! PLanning on getting out of the house tomorrow... I need to go get some quality paints and a bottle of clear floor wax!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Your choice of words was perfect! It means what you wanted it to mean, and I got to learn a new word as well! It might be easier if American English made any sense in the first place... and then you add in that pretty much every state has a couple of different dialects... it can get confusing!

Again I appreciate that you showed concern... I am feeling better hour by hour! PLanning on getting out of the house tomorrow... I need to go get some quality paints and a bottle of clear floor wax!
    I agree with Ken - that is proper usage of a somewhat obscure but perfectly apt word. In my post I wasn't criticizing the word, just lamenting that I have a condition that will never meliorate.

It is a good thing to extend your vocabulary Ken. You must not ,however, merely be sesquipadalian, but use them in a meaningful way in dialogue with people.
    You could for instance say, " I offered my wife a cream bun, but she was on a diet, so her friend Amelia ate it."
    Rob.

I'm happy you feel better now, Ken.

About "meliorate" I was only afraid I used an incorrect word because sometimes it's very difficoult to understand in dictionary the context of a correct use of a word. if I don't find an example I risk often big embarrasses trying to use a synonym.

I know I should not ask for "burro" in a Spanish restaurant as I would in an Italian restaurant but is not always so easy.

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It is a good thing to extend your vocabulary Ken. You must not ,however, merely be sesquipadalian, but use them in a meaningful way in dialogue with people.
    You could for instance say, " I offered my wife a cream bun, but she was on a diet, so her friend Amelia ate it."
    Rob.
    And that my friends brings us full circle back to the original subject of this thread: - "UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!" (in so many ways!)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

And that my friends brings us full circle back to the original subject of this thread: - "UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!" (in so many ways!)
    . I agree. To the bar Ken.
    Rob.

Default Take a break

Take a break write a few penguins jokes in the flying penguins section.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Take a break write a few penguins jokes in the flying penguins section.
    I tried that.... it was udderly amoooosing how badly I failed!!!

I like the idea of heading to the bar!!! 18 year old Glenlivet for everyone!!! I feel like going broke!!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Very civil of you old bean. Also very acceptable with the weather as it is. Will you allow me to buy you a mulled ale as a chaser.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Very civil of you old bean. Also very acceptable with the weather as it is. Will you allow me to buy you a mulled ale as a chaser.
    Rob.
    Unequivocally!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"