Ares Games

Thread: Card sleeves?

peterh58

Question Card sleeves?

Do folks generally sleeve their cards? I can imagine the manoeuver cards get a lot of wear, but on the other hand a sleeved card is more prone to slipping around on the table.

Many do Peter, I haven't and the cards are still OK after several years of gaming. Sleeving them can impact storage as it makes the decks bulkier, I also find them harder to handle but it does protect them.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I started to sleeve my cards as I run a lot of games at shows. After a few games where folks would be or just have eaten I noticed some slimy cards! Grrrrr. Card sleeves ordered.

I first noticed the tendency of them to slid, so I ended up lightly running a piece of fine grain sandpaper over them and that did the trick.

I've started sleeping my WGS decks but haven't got round to the WW1 decks yet
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket
    I ended up lightly running a piece of fine grain sandpaper over them and that did the trick.
    Does that ever interfere with visibility when you're trying to place the aircraft on the maneuver card?

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Does that ever interfere with visibility when you're trying to place the aircraft on the maneuver card?
    No. You can clearly see the maneuver. The sleeve loses it's shine but visibility is fine. A sponge with a scrubby side works great too, probably better. The trick is not to over do it.

i sleeve every game card i can find a sleeve for. so far the only ones i havent been able to sleeve are the large bomber cards. i started sleeving when i noticed some significant wear on a few of may cards. yes theyre a bit slicker so you have to exercise a bit more care, but on the plus side slipping cards out from under the base is easier. yes, depending on the sleeve, it can make a maveuver deck significantly thicker. thats one reason why i like the mayday 7045 thin sleeves. they dont add significantly to the thickness, and theyre the exact right length so no trimming.

I haven't sleeved maneuver cards but did do my Damage Decks so I could add colored stickers to the back for easier sorting after a game.

I do wish Ares had made the decks with a different back for each letter ....

Oberst Hajj has been trying to find packs of sleeves with coloured backs but I do not think that he has been successful so far.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/360387...-1/s-l1000.jpg

Don't know if this helps but ULTRA PRO makes different color card sleeves. I think they come in different sizes but not sure. The ones I have are for Baseball cards but I see them offered for different card games (MAGIC for one).

http://www.ultrapro.com/division.php?d=g

Here is the link to their page. You should look at DECK PROTECTORS but they have other products to protect cards.

the only sleeves i know of that have colors or graphics are sized for magic the gathering (64X89mm) or yugioh (62X89mm).

I sleeved my 'A' damage decks and many of my manoeuvre decks, but I'm starting to think it wasn't necessary.

I used cheap thin sleeves from Lithuania (!), which have a bit of wriggle room inside, and the cards sometimes try to escape!
    I used some Mayday Games sleeves, which were much better, but these tend to stick to each other, so cards are sometimes a bit hard to find!

I now use a double 'B' deck without sleeves, and I have had no damage problems despite the lack of sleeves.

Since I have multiple box sets of all 4 Nexus games, I have a supply of "reserve" decks in case any cards get damaged.

Cards I have printed out myself, and glued to card backs, will remain sleeved.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I do exactly the same. I even have a color half dot on the damage cards so I know for sure which ones are mine. My son uses 1/4 dot stickers on his. If we are at a con or public gaming place no one else I have seen uses the partial color dots on a sleeve. I used to sleeve maneuver card and still have angst over that. I actually had one player once complain about the sleeves as allowing a plane to move farther. This then led to a discussion on trimming the sleeves (good grief) so in the end no sleeves. Besides, I have so many miniatures that if something really bad happened to one maneuver deck, I for sure have another in stock. The Damage cards though I think need and benefit from sleeve protection.

In the FAQs page on the Ultra PRO website it states that they will produce custom made deck protector sleeves but it would have to be a large order from a company. It does not give any costings.

http://www.ultrapro.com/pages.php?page=faq

I remembered this thread while at a store today. I was meeting a friend and while waiting for him I just walked around the store to see what they had. Lots of board games/card games some minis and RPG's. While looking I found a rack with card sleeves. One set was smaller than the normal size so I picked up a pack. They are FANTASY FLIGHT SUPPLY, 50 in a pack at $2.98 a pack. When I got home I checked them with a maneuver card and they fit perfectly. Then I read the back of the pack and they are:
    CLEAR SLEEVES
    MINI EUROPEAN BOARD GAME SIZE

Then I read more and it says games such as Wings of War. As mentioned you could put a color dot on the sleeve to indicate what damage card, A or B, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    In the FAQs page on the Ultra PRO website it states that they will produce custom made deck protector sleeves but it would have to be a large order from a company. It does not give any costings.

http://www.ultrapro.com/pages.php?page=faq
    UltraPro - 44mm X 68mm Mini European Board Game Sleeves 50ct ($2-5 USD @ depending on where you look online.)

Mayday Games - Mini Euro Card Sleeves (45x68mm)

Fantasy Flight Games - Mini European Board Game Sleeves (44x68 MM)
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-21-2017 at 13:34.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

THREAD NECROMANCY!

I wasn't sure where to post this...

I only sleeve the "plane cards" now. For sleeves for the bomber cards I have used these, you just need to trim the end to fit:

Ultra Pro "special sized" 65 x 100mm for "large" cards, Caproni, Gotha, etc.

HSI Supplies PSA Card Bags Sleeves Soft Holders 3 3/8" x 5 1/2" for "huge" cards, Handley Page, Zeppelin Staaken, etc. These are a bit thin sort of "pennyweight" but convenient.

Mayday Games - Mini Euro Card Sleeves (45x68mm) for standard size, scouts, tandems, etc. The Premium are my preferred ones.

Corner Cutter I use a corner cutter (the Small notch) to clip the sharp edges off the sleeves.
    Last edited by malachi; 06-16-2021 at 10:22.

The Mayday Games card sleeves are really good, they do an extra thick one which is perfect.
    I have sleeved all my damage cards, but just a couple of planes (The F2Bs I tend to fly whenever I get a chance)

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. Do you use card sleeves?
    By sparty in forum Polls
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 03-07-2024, 09:28
  2. Card Sleeves
    By Ken at Sunrise in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-11-2016, 17:05
  3. Card Protectors/Sleeves
    By heregrim in forum Aerodrome Accessories