Ares Games

Thread: Effective Ceiling vs. Maximum Altitude

Default Effective Ceiling vs. Maximum Altitude

Is there anything in the Forum that defines and/or lists the maximum EFFECTIVE altitude vs. the maximum altitude attainable for WoW/WoG WWI aircraft. The reason I ask is there were some planes that were considerably less impacted by higher altitudes than others, particularly during the latter part of the war with the newer engines. I would like to see where the point of diminishing return kicked in for most planes. Was it a common altitude after which anything above that was thin air and difficult for controls to respond to? I'm a definite advocate of "3D flying" in this game and would like to incorporate such limits with a handful of simple rules I've been tinkering with to further differentiate the qualities of such aircraft.

As usual, anything you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

Typically, performance for aircraft in this period is given as "service ceiling". There is a difference between this and absolute ceiling.
    The service ceiling is close to the "effective ceiling" you're groping at.

The absolute ceiling is the density altitude at which an aircraft can sustain level flight at maximum engine output; in other words, the vertical component of the thrust vector is zero. No further vertical speed (upward) is possible.

The service ceiling, however is quite different, and usually quite a bit lower than absolute ceiling. The definition of service ceiling is the density altitude at which the aircraft's rate of climb reaches a given value-for propeller-driven aircraft, this is typically a value of 100ft (or 30m)/minute. Although for multi-engine aircraft, this defined value is sometimes 50ft (or 15m)/min, with one engine off, and propeller feathered.

The reason for this being that while climb beyond an aircraft's service ceiling is by definition possible, there have to be exceptional situations to make the climb to the extra altitude worth the effort.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Typically, performance for aircraft in this period is given as "service ceiling". There is a difference between this and absolute ceiling.
    The service ceiling is close to the "effective ceiling" you're groping at.

The absolute ceiling is the density altitude at which an aircraft can sustain level flight at maximum engine output; in other words, the vertical component of the thrust vector is zero. No further vertical speed (upward) is possible.

The service ceiling, however is quite different, and usually quite a bit lower than absolute ceiling. The definition of service ceiling is the density altitude at which the aircraft's rate of climb reaches a given value-for propeller-driven aircraft, this is typically a value of 100ft (or 30m)/minute. Although for multi-engine aircraft, this defined value is sometimes 50ft (or 15m)/min, with one engine off, and propeller feathered.

The reason for this being that while climb beyond an aircraft's service ceiling is by definition possible, there have to be exceptional situations to make the climb to the extra altitude worth the effort.

Hope this helps.
    So, if I understand you correctly, the max altitude we use in the game actually IS the what I called EFFECTIVE altitude. Thanks, Sam, this does help.

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    So, if I understand you correctly, the max altitude we use in the game actually IS the what I called EFFECTIVE altitude.
    That's the way I have always interpreted it.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Climb Rates and Maximum Altitude Table Including Series 6
    By Tokhuah in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-02-2016, 06:40
  2. New WWII Climb Rates and Maximum Altitude download.
    By Naharaht in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-17-2015, 18:52
  3. Climb/Maximum Altitude Labels (WWI)
    By Beaunanza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-24-2014, 19:55
  4. Are two seaters too effective ?
    By sbutton in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 13:36
  5. Ceiling?