Ares Games

Thread: New player in Kentucky

Default New player in Kentucky

Hi everyone! First post from a newbie. I played my first game at Origins in the Friday session (Starving the Fox scenario). I won an Italian Falco for my efforts. Wound up playing 4 more times over the rest of the Con, and am hooked. So, having introduced myself, I have a few newbie-type questions.

1) Obviously, the selection of official aircraft is rather limited. Has Ares announced when (if) releases of new aircraft will be coming out? If so, any idea when to expect these? I have the Battle of Britain starter, which I assume is the most recent release.
    2) I’ve seen the Armaments in Miniature aircraft, and it looks like they’re really high quality. Can anyone tell me whether or not anyone has worked out which maneuver deck each of them should use? Is there a table or listing on the site somewhere, or is this up to the buyer to figure out?
    3) I went to the Ares website to try and buy direct from them, and although they have some things you can buy direct from them it doesn’t appear that you can buy WoG miniatures from them. Is that correct, or am I doing something wrong?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Bob

A shot from my first game at Origins. The scenario was called "Starving the Fox." One side was Axis, trying to get a pair of Gigantes to the airfield; the Allies were trying to stop them. I was flying the P-40 in French markings running up on the tail of the 2nd Gigante. After a fur ball with a couple of Me-109s, I was able to come round to the right and wound up in perfect position - this was after movement but before firing - my burst finished her off.

Name:  Origins 001 2017.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  98.5 KB

Welcome to the Aewrodrome Bob. Good to have met you at Origins and see you joining here.

To acquire more planes the Aerodrome Store (above in yellow) is a great place to start.

AIM planes are great, I have my share. You can the all the info on movement decks, hit points...etc 'HERE".
    In the WW2 files, under house rules there is the list I linked and a file with some notes and another file on gunnery arcsfor WW2 planes.

There is a similar file for all planes in WWI for card decks, hit points... in the Aerodrome Arppoved Unofficial and official stats in the WWI files.

Thanks for the quick reply! I had a blast gaming with you guys (obviously). I'm trying to recall your name - I think you were the guy who in that Red Tails scenario never got to fire your guns once (or did you?).

I did look at the Aerodrome store, and from searching on the web it seems most aircraft are generally either readily available, or they're completely unavailable. That's why I was asking about potential new releases that might be coming out.

Welcome to the site Bob (from another Bob). You will make many friends and meet people from here. I have played in one of Peter's games and will again at Fall In.

Peter thanks for showing him the link to the plane list. I have been looking for such a list and now I have it. Thanks to Jager for doing it.

What is "Fall In?" I assume a convention?

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Bob, from here 'across the Pond' near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

There is much on this site to help you enjoy the game, particularly in the Files section. As you have already found, people here are very friendly, so , do not be afraid to ask more questions, if you have them. As Peter wrote, the Aerodrome Store is a good place to buy items but, if you are thinking of buying off the internet, shop around, because some people offer older items for sale at exorbitant prices.

welcome to the drome Bob !!! yes new releases are in the pipeline. i believe the aircraft in it are finalized and theyre just sorting out paintschemes. theres a thread concerning it, o beleive it would be wgs series 7 unless im mixing it up with wgf.

What a great scenario. I remember seeing one of those 323's on an old VHS set of planes of the Lufwaffe. I always felt sorry for those troops crammed into one of those big fat targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Welcome to the Aerodrome, Bob, from here 'across the Pond' near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

There is much on this site to help you enjoy the game, particularly in the Files section. As you have already found, people here are very friendly, so , do not be afraid to ask more questions, if you have them. As Peter wrote, the Aerodrome Store is a good place to buy items but, if you are thinking of buying off the internet, shop around, because some people offer older items for sale at exorbitant prices.
    Thanks for the advice. I've already discovered this. People asking hundreds of dollars for what - at the end of the day - is a shaped piece of plastic. Please. If there's a plane I want that badly I'll buy it from Armaments in Miniature and paint it up myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    What a great scenario. I remember seeing one of those 323's on an old VHS set of planes of the Lufwaffe. I always felt sorry for those troops crammed into one of those big fat targets.
    There was an even better scenario on Saturday. The scenario had the Germans really deep into genetic research, and they were able to create dragons, Although created by the Germans, the dragons didn't care who they went after. They moved randomly and would attack anyone who was in range. I am kicking myself for not snapping a photo of that one. That was my second game, and I wasn't nearly so fortunate as in my first battle. I made a high speed pass with my two fighters and damaged two 109s, and got a shot in on a dragon the next turn - and then I spent virtually the rest of the game trying to turn around to get back to the action. I finally got close enough to shoot again with a turn or two left to play. In retrospect I probably should have straightened out and then pulled an Immelmann, but I had already begun the turn, and from there it just seemed like it would be quicker to keep turning than to waste a turn flying straight so that I could then reverse course.

I suggested to the guys running the scenario that they should do a WWI version with a Martian walker where H.G. Wells' Martian invasion comes 20 years later.

Welcome to the Drome Bob from West yorkshire in the good old UK.
    Fly safe and always watch your six!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! I had a blast gaming with you guys (obviously). I'm trying to recall your name - I think you were the guy who in that Red Tails scenario never got to fire your guns once (or did you?).

I did look at the Aerodrome store, and from searching on the web it seems most aircraft are generally either readily available, or they're completely unavailable. That's why I was asking about potential new releases that might be coming out.
    Yep, that was me in the Red Tails game. I did get in one shot next to last card play and shot down a 109. Redemption!

Next WW2 release will have Corsairs, P-38s, ME410s and Nakajima Ki.44-IIb e Ki.44-IIc. Date not yet announced and probably a ways off. There was talk of a Midway starter set if the Battle of Britain set went well, but again no date.

Fall In is a HMGS (Historical Miniatures Gaming Society) con in November in Lancaster PA. I'll be running a WW2 Pacific game,(with reinforcements from Bob!) a WWI game and a third, not decided yet.

I ran the WW2 game with the dragons at Origins. Glad you enjoyed it.

Peter

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt
    I did look at the Aerodrome store, and from searching on the web it seems most aircraft are generally either readily available, or they're completely unavailable.
    This is quite true; it is due to Ares business model, which I won't criticize.

Basically, what they tend to do is release the minis in "series": so a series that has been released is quite readily available. Series aircraft that have been out of print for some time tend to be unavailable, or available on the secondary markets at yes, quite exorbitant prices. This is the minus side of the balance sheet.

On the plus side, it means that if a particular model or series doesn't sell well, Ares doesn't lose a lot of money trying to keep in print stock that just takes up space. And the primary reason why I will not criticize this business model.

But the Aerodrome is a great place to keep track of which series is in print, and when future series might be. Honestly, I stick to WGF, and the current series is a reprint of series 3: for the Central Powers, that's the UFAG C-I & Albatros D-III; for the Allies, that's the RAF RE 8 & Nieuport 17.

Oh, and whichever version of the game you play (the two aren't compatible), I highly recommend picking up a RAP: Rules & Accessories Pack.

Hi Bob
    You can still get the occasional good deal on ebay if you are lucky.
    I just picked up a Heinkel 111, 2 x ME110 and 2 x Beaufighter for the princely sum of Ł74.03, post free. Somebody outbid me for the 2 x B25 Mitchells but they only went for Ł16.25 and Ł16.26 each! You just have to keep on looking.
    They were listed under 10mm WW2 rather than WoG.

Hi Bob, welcome to the 'Drome!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Bob. Enjoy!!!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad you had fun at Origins, Bob - and welcome to the Forum from SW Ohio! This is a great place to chat and find information for all sorts of things...

All the best,
    Matt

Thumbs up

G'day Bob & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    As others have advised there has just been released a Reprint of the Original Series 3 Aircraft from "Way Back"
    Nieuport 17's, Albatross D.!!!'s, RE 8's & UFAG German 2 seater.
    All will be available via the Aerodrome Store or some retailers in the USA.
    Another source of models apart from AIM & particularly for WW1 is Shapeways 3D.
    For example for SE 5a's which are like dinosaur eggs & FE 2b's which have never been released Shapeways is a good source.

Sample of Shapeways FE & AIM models attached.

Name:  <acronym title=WGF FE2b Side small.jpg Views: 254 Size: 68.1 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Name:  AIM Grumman Avengers 1.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  172.3 KB

Name:  AIM Akagi Kates.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  106.6 KB

What is "Fall In?" I assume a convention?
    Hi Bob and welcome to the site -- I am fairly new myself and have found this community to be welcoming and very helpful -- to answer your question Fall In is an historical wargaming convention held at the Lancaster Host Resort Hotel in Lancaster, Pennsylvania every fall. They also run one there in March called Cold Wars. It is run by the HMGS (Historical Miniatures Gaming Society). Here's a link to their site:
    http://hmgs.site-ym.com/
    best,
    Bill

Welcome Bob! I just drove through your fine state thinking how many good landing areas it contained.

Welcome to the Drome Bob. One quick is all it takes to which means .

1) Love the WWII stuff. There is plenty to look at here. You found the unofficial stats.
    2) I proxy a few things at my own house. If you can get a deck, you can do whatever you want.
    3) Where in KY? I grew up in Lexington & Richmond. Family originally from (and still a member in) Pikeville, with more in Carlisle, Owenton, and Covington.
    I am now in NJ though.
    4) Fall-In: I'm in. First weekend in Nov? I will try to make sure I can go for Sat. That Pacific game sounds great.

Welcome!

I suggested to the guys running the scenario that they should do a WWI version with a Martian walker where H.G. Wells' Martian invasion comes 20 years later.
    Like this: http://www.aresgames.eu/17631

I'm in Louisville, but travel most of the state for my job. I seem to have bitten by the bug - I've already got more than 40 aircraft.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the 'Drome Bob from the Paducah 'Drome.
    Ask any questions you want on here and you will get an answer or at least pointed in the right direction.

Welcome aboard from a wet and dreary North of England

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Thomaso827

I'm in Louisville, but travel most of the state for my job. I seem to have bitten by the bug - I've already got more than 40 aircraft.
    Welcome! My buddy, Dennis Murray, lives in Elizabethtown but plays at some of the Louisville area game stores. He's got pretty much the whole WW1 collection and has started into the WW2 stuff with the Battle of Britain starter and some more planes. You might bump into him at some point. Think one of the shops he goes to is Pet Shop Comics. There is a pretty active shop just outside of Ft Knox where he plays sometimes, so that might be worth a look for you if you need more places to play. https://www.hardknoxgames.com/.

This is another photo from the "Starving the Fox" scenario at Origins. Could anyone who was there tell me where you got the mat? You can't see it in tis photo, but it was an island with an airstrip.

Name:  19224936_10207006009308989_367504202234995271_n.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  115.6 KB

What part of KY are you from. I'm from the Versailles area just west of Lexington though currently stationed in NC in the USAF.

I'm in Louisville.

Similar Missions

1. National: Kentucky flyers
    By Setarius in forum US Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 09:36
  2. National: Central Kentucky Wings of Glory Player My Introduction
    By Gribble in forum US Wing
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 09:25
  3. National: Central Kentucky Pilots, Enlist!
    By Gribble in forum US Wing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-05-2015, 20:03
  4. Vintage B-24H Lexington, Kentucky
    By zmaxthrottle in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 02:01