Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's On Your Workbench -- July 2017

Clipper is your son here with them ? I may have talked with him if he gets to the HMGS cons. I forgot that he is with them but have to remember for the next time. They had 3 tables set up for TANKS as a demo game.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Clipper is your son here with them ? I may have talked with him if he gets to the HMGS cons. I forgot that he is with them but have to remember for the next time. They had 3 tables set up for TANKS as a demo game.
    Yeah, Andrew is one of their designers, Tanks is his. He and his older brother live in New Zealand going on 5+ years now, Team Yankee and soon to be released Dr. WHO as well. Dream jobs, long way from Home! Mrs Clipper and I will be over there for a month mid August for an extended visit. Plan to see Weta and all the aircraft sites whilst there . . . He just won a Tanks speed building event live feed video last week, chip off the Ole Clipper . . . : )

Weta is great, and try to get to Hobbiton also if you are an LotR fan. On the aircraft sites, don't miss Omaka....and the War Museum in Auckland is great as well. My guess is that you'll be glad to leave those 100-plus temps for the New Zealand Spring!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Team Yankee
    As in the really old Harold Coyle novel? I have GDW's board game of that....

Harold Coyle did a series after TEAM YANKEE. There were new characters and the series followed them through each encounter as they were promoted. One was based on Xenophon's The March Up Country. I have all the books but haven't read them in years. Good read all.

I will have to remember to ask about your son at FALL IN in Nov.

David do you think you may recruit some Hobbits while visiting ?

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Finally finished my Shapeways Felixstowe F2 (early version) yesterday - decals from Rob at 1/144 arrived Thursday so I was able to add those and give it the final sealer coat last night. Thanks, Tim, for pointing me in that direction for the 0/400 roundels! This was a fun model to make - it is such a pretty plane in its lines - a classic 'flying boat' style. The dazzle scheme was a tad daunting until I got started painting, and then it seemed to move along nicely. It helped tremendously to have the Wingnut Wings 1/32 version to use as a guide. Everything else is pretty much standard - rudder flash is painted, as are the numbers - the 2 on the nose in white and matching black 2s on either side at the bottom white stripe on the rudder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	228863

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	228864

Name:	IMG_0956.jpg 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	228865

Name:	IMG_0957.jpg 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	228866

This last picture shows the two bombs I added - they're left-overs from a Zvezda Ju-88 that I didn't need, and I thought they wouldn't be amiss here...

The only down-side to the model is the very fiddly nature of the Lewis guns...I am debating ordering some of Reduced Aircraft Factory's Lewis gunners and eventually replacing the nose and rear guns...I guess we'll see how they last in play - I can see them getting knocked off...

I intend to get a second Felixstowe in the not-too-distant future, but I think I will pick a simpler scheme for it.

As always - thanks for looking!
    All the best,
    Matt

A very snappy rendition of the camo Matt.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Besides doing graphics projects for Wings of Glory, I have been doing graphics for the Comox Air Force Museum, and finally managed to get a paint brush in my hands after way too many years.

However, the painting did not include planes.

Name:	IMG_20170722_165132_Crop.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	228932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170722_165235_Crop.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	228933

These are 25mm minis of 'Missing Link' creatures for the Strange Aeons tabletop skirmish game (Link: Strange Aeons.ca)
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Very smart looking to be sure Mike.
    I am glad you explained them otherwise I would have been wondering exactly what was going down on the island!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Suddenly, it's feeling very squatchy around here

Beautiful work on the Felixstowe Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Finally finished my Shapeways Felixstowe F2 (early version) yesterday - decals from Rob at 1/144 arrived Thursday so I was able to add those and give it the final sealer coat last night. Thanks, Tim, for pointing me in that direction for the 0/400 roundels! This was a fun model to make - it is such a pretty plane in its lines - a classic 'flying boat' style. The dazzle scheme was a tad daunting until I got started painting, and then it seemed to move along nicely. It helped tremendously to have the Wingnut Wings 1/32 version to use as a guide. Everything else is pretty much standard - rudder flash is painted, as are the numbers - the 2 on the nose in white and matching black 2s on either side at the bottom white stripe on the rudder.

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	228863

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	228864

Name:	IMG_0956.jpg 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	228865

Name:	IMG_0957.jpg 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	228866

This last picture shows the two bombs I added - they're left-overs from a Zvezda Ju-88 that I didn't need, and I thought they wouldn't be amiss here...

The only down-side to the model is the very fiddly nature of the Lewis guns...I am debating ordering some of Reduced Aircraft Factory's Lewis gunners and eventually replacing the nose and rear guns...I guess we'll see how they last in play - I can see them getting knocked off...

I intend to get a second Felixstowe in the not-too-distant future, but I think I will pick a simpler scheme for it.

As always - thanks for looking!
    All the best,
    Matt
    Excellent Matt!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Suddenly, it's feeling very squatchy around here
    Just wait a few days -- then we'll be...

[sunglasses]

...SANS-SQUATCH.

B)

Amidst a pile of other projects an Avro Lancaster formerly "Grog's the Shot" of No. 100 Sqn RAF is undergoing a transformation to "G for George" of No. 460 Sqn RAAF.

Name:	G for George.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	229263

The original "G for George" is on display at the Australian War Memorial.

Name:	AWM Lancaster.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	229264

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. What's on your workbench - February 2017
    By Aardvark1430 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 02-28-2017, 14:19
  2. What's on your Workbench - January 2017
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 01-31-2017, 12:43
  3. What's on your workbench: July 2016 edition
    By matt56 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 08-21-2016, 11:48
  4. Whats on your workbench for July 2015!
    By richard m schwab in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 08-06-2015, 03:40
  5. What's on your workbench for July?
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 19:46