Ares Games

Thread: Greetings from a New Guy in Dayton, OH

Thomaso827

Default Greetings from a New Guy in Dayton, OH

I'm Tom Oxley, a retired Army NCO, working in church office management. Spent most of my life studying military history, and ended my Army career teaching it at the Army Chaplain School. I think I have been interested in air combat since mom read 30 Seconds Over Tokyo to me in the 3rd Grade. I love to visit the National Museum of the US Air Force nearby, and host an annual game day for another air combat game system. I've played Wings of War/Wings of Glory for a few years at local conventions but just got my first set, the Battle of Britain starter set and am now working on getting everything I need to run it and teach my grandkids. I study and game most eras, in miniatures or board games, and have run games for 10 years at regional game conventions in Ohio. Players from Dayton area have probably met me at some point at Epic Loot, The Hobby Shop or The Game Haven. I like painting miniatures but enjoy this break from painting to just enjoy a game right from the box. You can find me on Boardgamegeek to get an idea of what other games I enjoy at https://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Thomaso827. Thanks for allowing me to participate.

Tom

Tom,
    Welcome to the site -- I'm fairly new to it myself -- your going to love it I predict. I'm in the Hudson River Valley -- if you get a chance to visit (given your visits to the National Museum of the Air Force) go to the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Rhinebeck, NY. It is a living history museum of the early days of flight -- weekend airshows and on Sundays a WWI dogfight. I have an album of photos on my page on this site (I found out that lots of other members of the site do as well). About an hour south of Rhinebeck is West Point, so lots of military things to see here. Welcome again -- the game system is so much fun!
    Bill

Hi Tom, welcome to the airdrome.

I've played in CY6 games with you and WoW/G. Had fun in your game day a couple of weeks ago.

We have another game day at Epic Loot on July 8th, not sure what we are doing yet but it will be WW1

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad to see you finally 'taking the plunge' here, Tom! You will have so much to add - welcome aboard

All the best,
    Matt

Thomaso827

Not sure yet on the 8th, I'll check, but I've committed to one at the Game Haven the next weekend. Really need to get out more now that my wife's health has improved. But that brings new "honey-do" stuff.

Thomaso827

Thanks, I'd heard about Rhinebeck. I need to get back in that direction. My daughter dated a West Pointer in '92 and we drove him back from Ft Monmouth, NJ one weekend. Only other opportunities to be in New York State was schools at Ft Wadsworth, Staten Island, and field exercises at Ft Drum near Watertown. I really do need to get out more.

Welcome to the group Tom. As stated you will enjoy the people and ideas that come up in here. Yes if you do get out here Old Rhinebeck is a good visit. Went there last year when I visited family in Knigston.

Welcome to the 'Drome, Tom!

Fly safe, and always Watch your Six!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Tom. Shoot me your Email in a PM and I will add you to an email list I send out. We meet second and fourth Wednesday of the month at Epic Loot. It will also in
    clude information about our monthly Wings of War game at Epic Loot.

Welcome to the Aerodrome Tom. Lots going on out your way so you should have many opportunities to fly. Keep your sights open for Origins next June. All the Wings you can fly over 5 days!

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard.

Any questions, feel free to ask, someone on the 'drome is likely to know the answer, and we're overall a freindly bunch here.

Welcome to the Drome Tom from across the pond here in West Yorkshire UK. Fly safe and watch for the Hun in the Sun!

Welcome Tom, from Akron.
    Maybe we can meet at a Soldiery game in Columbus. Ask Matt for details.
    Karl'
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Welcome to the Aerodrome from Texas!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Tom, from over here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Welcome to the 'drome Tom from East Sussex on the south coast of England here in the UK.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

G'day Tom & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    I am sure you will fit right in here & enjoy your visits.
    There is just so much great info available & you will not meet a better bunch of blokes.

Welcome Tom, glad you decided to join us. Your experience will be appreciated.

Welcome from Vancouver Island.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Tom.
    Lot of great guys and gals in your area to get some great games in. ENJOY!!!

Welcome, Tom. You are in a good place (Dayton) as it appears they have a regular W of G gaming group. Here in Dallas we at least have a semi irregular group that plays. You are also near one of our bucket list places, Wright Patterson. I am trying to figure out how to get my son up there on a couple of his vacation days. Tacking on a W of G game while we are up there has a certain appeal. I am thinking Sept or October. I mentioned this to Matt, who has also commented on your joining.

I also just retired from Hospital IT in the last two months. Still feels very weird. I am too bouncy to sit for long. Good luck on your efforts in adjustment.

There is a lot of great stuff on this site. One downside I found (and its not really a downside) is that we become more recognizant of the available airplanes. I think I have added five to our collection since joining. I bet I add three more over the next few days, not exactly we planned but that is ok.
    \

Couldn't have picked a better place to be interested in aircraft.

I hope to make it back to Dayton someday.

Welcome from Portlandia.

Hi Tom - welcome to the 'drome from here in the UK

Thomaso827

Just wondering if there is a number of posts I need to make or something that gets privileges for the files section or seeing photos of other people's work. I didn't find this in the rules, maybe I overlooked something. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso827 View Post
    Just wondering if there is a number of posts I need to make or something that gets privileges for the files section or seeing photos of other people's work. I didn't find this in the rules, maybe I overlooked something. Thanks.
    Tom,
    There shouldn't be any specific number of posts made to have access to posts or files.

Note 1: Check the date of the post, if images are missing. The site was hacked in 2012, and many images disappeared.

Note 2: Photobucket has recently blocked third-party hosting of images, and this requires the poster to subscribe, not the viewers.

Neither of the above is something a Forum member can do anything to change ( unless that member is the original poster).

A subscription will give you elevated options for posting and customization of your account, though.
    Link: Wings of Glory Aerodrome Paid Subscriptions
    Link: REPUTATION - All you need to know!
    Mike

Thomaso827

Thanks. So I may just need to ask for files download privileges since they are included with the basic membership. I'm still getting the message that I don't have sufficient privileges when I click on the files button, so would like to gain access. Thanks for your help.

Tom

Tom,
    Private Message to Eric [7eat51] to see if he can check your account. If he can't fix it, he may know who can.

Apologies in advance, if Keith [Oberst Hajj] is the only person that can fix this, as he is away for a few days.
    Mike

Thomaso827

Thanks. No problem at all, I understand. I had heard so much about the great stuff here in the files and wanted a chance to look through, but I understand that things worth seeing take some time getting access to.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso827 View Post
    Thanks. No problem at all, I understand. I had heard so much about the great stuff here in the files and wanted a chance to look through, but I understand that things worth seeing take some time getting access to.
    Welcome to the 'drome Tom, this happens sometimes, I've PM'd Eric on your behalf so hopefully he'll be along to look into it for you before much longer.

"He is wise who watches"

And, you're good to go says Eric !

"He is wise who watches"

not sure how i missed a fellow buckeye, but a belated welcome to the drome tom!!!!! were you at origins this year? if so i probably met you there.

Quote Originally Posted by rhodie80 View Post
    Tom. Shoot me your Email in a PM and I will add you to an email list I send out. We meet second and fourth Wednesday of the month at Epic Loot. It will also in
    clude information about our monthly Wings of War game at Epic Loot.
    Do you all ever have any weekend sessions? I was thinking of going to the air museum and thought I might be able to game on Saturday and go to the museum on Sunday if there are weekend events.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    Do you all ever have any weekend sessions? I was thinking of going to the air museum and thought I might be able to game on Saturday and go to the museum on Sunday if there are weekend events.
    Bob,

Second Saturday of the month is a session at Epic Loot in Centerville (11 am-4/5-ish)

Third Saturday of the month (typically) at The Game Haven - across the street from the Air Force Museum! Games are from 1:00pm to whenever.

Thomaso827

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    not sure how i missed a fellow buckeye, but a belated welcome to the drome tom!!!!! were you at origins this year? if so i probably met you there.
    Sorry, no. I was hosting a Check Your 6 day that Saturday here in Dayton. Have to work on changing to an earlier weekend next year if I can. I've played at Epic Loot once and at Game Haven quite a few times, and used to play once or twice a month at The Hobby Shop, so you may have seen me around someplace. Also run games at ATC every year for the last 10 or so.

Similar Missions

1. Ohio: Next Event - Dayton
    By predhead in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 16:08
  2. Sad news from Dayton
    By somaliavet in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 10:55
  3. WWI Fly-In In Dayton Ohio
    By Zeppelin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3