Ares Games

Thread: Origins 2017 U-13 AAR

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Origins 2017 U-13 AAR

U-13, a German UB-1 type sub in the service of the Austro-Hungarian Navy, is damaged and unable to submerge. She must limp home on the surface, hoping to make it to port before the Entente can track her down and do her in. To that end, various A-H planes have taken to the air to protect the stricken sub, while Italian and British planes search her out and attempt to sink her.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0872.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	226047

This close-in shot shows the sub slowly moving south as A-H planes pass over it to engage the oncoming Entente attackers.

Name:	IMG_0873.jpg 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	226048

This long shot shows the layout of the opposing forces. The two Macchi flying boats are equipped with small bombs - a direct hit will do the sub in, and a near miss could sufficiently damage the boat and sink her.

Name:	IMG_0874.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	236.8 KB 
ID:	226049

The Phoenix and Aviatik are trying to stay close by and shoo away any attackers, but they are drawn into the fray.

Name:	IMG_0875.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	226050

The white Macchi coming down from the north has managed to line itself up on the sub and should have an easy time dropping its bombs on target if it isn't interrupted by A-H attackers...

Name:	IMG_0876.jpg 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	226051

The same shot from a slightly different angle - things look dire for U-13.

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	226052

Bombs are away! The green Macchi is coming in from the west, trying to land its bomb from the broadside, while the white flying boat has the sub dead to rights. The A-H pilots have gotten sucked into dogfighting with Entente scouts, leaving the Macchis free to wreak havoc on the U-boot.

Name:	IMG_0878.jpg 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	226053

Once the sub is destroyed, the situation devolves into a classic furball, with the Austro-Hungarian pilots trying to exact revenge for the sinking of the sub. While they were able to do some damage to the Entente, the sub's sinking and lack of definite resolution otherwise in the air saw the Entente win the day.

This was a fun scenario to run, and I think next time the A-H forces need a plane or two advantage over the Entente - as it ran this time, the advantage was in the Entente's favor (which is not necessarily historically inaccurate), but it makes for an uphill battle perhaps best left for a local game club. At a convention like Origins, it might be better served to 'balance' the scenario, particularly when people pay to play and expect equal opportunities to win.

The game mat is an old 'seascape' from GHQ that I purchased many years ago from my local game shop - I really like the rippling effect portrayed on the surface. The sub is a 3D model of a German UB-1 sub that was made by a fellow in my local gaming group - I cleaned it up and detailed the conning tower, adding the periscope and side supports, as well as the gun. It is based on the sub skippered by Otto Prohaska, the protagonist in John Biggins's A Sailor of Austria novel - it and its 3 other companion books in the series are a wonderful (if somewhat sobering) look into the A-H Empire as it collapses during WWI.

Peter (Teaticket) was piloting the white Macchi, and from the start of the game he was focused on lining up on the sub and doing her in. Well flown, Peter!

All the best,
    Matt

Nice AAR, Matt!

it's amazing how often players "forget" their orders/objectives and get drawn into dogfights; nice to see Peter didn't succumb.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

A lovely AAR. Love the set up and the model sub. You will have to try a bigger boat or two (hint hint nudge nudge say no more) next year.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

You are correct, Neil! Already thinking about that possibility...

Hope you're feeling better...

All the best,
    Matt

Looks like a lot of fun, Matt.

Thanks for the reading idea - off to amazon.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Nice to see the sea planes get a mission Matt. and nice one Peter for "following orders"

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

as one of the a/h pilots i salute our gallant antagonists on the unfortunately successful completion of their mission .

now a moment of silence for our brave submarine crew

Nice to read and watch, Matt.

Great pictures, I like the sub and the scenario.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I do my best to stick to the mission orders. Sometime I end up on the short end of the stick but this time it paid off.

Matts games are always visually beautiful and fun to play.

Thumbs up

Great photos & AAR Matt.
    That one reminds me of one of our OTT Solo Campaign games.

When I read the title I thought you had run a Game for Sub Teens but no it was only for a "Sub" !

Great AAR Matt. Hoping I have enough ammo to give you some rep.
    I commented on Peter's post that I really like that mat. Great for Mediterranean or PTO scenarios.

Well unfortunately it's apparently too soon to give you some more rep.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 06-22-2017 at 19:53. Reason: P.S.

Superb AAR Matt and top bombing by Peter - well done all involved !

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for a good AAR. Like others I thought the mat was really good, and gave atmosphere to the action.

Similar Missions

1. Origins 2017 on You tube.
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-28-2017, 20:29
  2. Thank you - Origins 2017
    By 7eat51 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-25-2017, 00:04
  3. Ohio: Origins 2017
    By OldGuy59 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 22