Ares Games

Thread: OTTBE Misson 12- Another day over the Somme - 21st April 1918 by Tikkifriend

Default OTTBE Misson 12- Another day over the Somme - 21st April 1918 by Tikkifriend

RAF
    A/Lt Betts Camel H
    2nd Lt Sumpter SE5 G
    2nd Lt Grinell-Milne SE5 L
    2nd Lt Boddy Camel Rookie
    Ace Camel B

Adlers
    Hptn Lange Blue Alb
    Hptn Smitt Red Alb
    Ltn Kahle Yellow Alb
    MvR DR1

The Adlers mess was in high spirits. Losses were low and victories were mounting. The Somme was a miserable quagmire for the PBI but for pilots it was a happy hunting ground, and a chance to fly against the Bulldogs.

Lange led his flight over NMl . On his 3rd pass he spotted the familiar silhouettes of RAF scouts.

swinging around he signaled Smitt and Kahle to meet them head on

Within seconds the sky was a swirl of turning planes
    Betts planned his move to perfection, catching Kahle defenceless and at close range. The rounds laced up from the Albatrosses rudder cutting through the fuselage framing as they went. The tail sheared off and fell away from the plane (2+LRD, XP)

Smitt and Sumpter faced off, not for the first time,Sumpter scoring first (1) then they were gone.

Betts and Smitt found themselves head to head . Both fired, Smitt's rounds doing more damage before both sets of guns jammed. (0+GJ.4) (0, 2+GJ)

A long range snipe from Milne tore into Langes wing (4)

Below Boddy his guns jammed and a red Dr1 on his tail weaved desperately in an effort to shake him off but no sooner had he cleared his guns he felt his rudder go slack as the Baron opened up on him (1+LRD)

A second attack saw flames burst from under Boddy's cowl (0,2+fire)

Behind and above the DR1 Boddys guardian angel appeared .

The DR1 broke off is attack on the burning rookie and Immelled to meet the new threat. An exchange of shots saw the Barons tail rudder damaged (2+RRD)

Smitt and Lange concentrate on the Camel and SE5s. Smitt sought out Betts once more. The rounds struck the RAF pilot square in the chest, knocking him unconscious (0,5+pilot)

Lange could see an SE5 behind him and banked right to get round on the faster plane

Betts plane continued in aright hand turn,his feet unresponsive on the rudder pedals. Lange took advantage of his plight and riddled the Camel. a second plane lit up the sky (2+fire)

Smitt Immelled and fell on the happless RAF pilot and plane (1),

The flames licked through what remained of the frame and it flipped onto its back heading for terra firma

The fire on Boddy's plane seemed to be dying down but he was still forced to weave a crooked path to safety
    Grinell-Milne Immelled in an attempt to outwit Smitt

The RAF ace was good . His accurate fire tore into the already damaged tail of the Baron (2+RRD,2+LRD)

before the planes touched briefly (0) (0)

Smitt's bullets cracked Grinell-Milne's engine casing as he came over on the roll from his Immell (3+engine) causing him to head back to base stuttering his way West as fast as he could

The Baron forced to fly straight uses his skills to avoid the attack from the RAF ace (ignores 3 damage )

Boddy took a long draft from his flask. With the fire out and only minutes from his lines he had survived

With the rookie safe all the RAF planes turned West.

It was now a race to the lines if the Adlers wanted to participate. Lange signalled pursuit

Sumpter slipped around above and behind Smitt a clever move which put him close to Smitt as the German Immelled . A bullet ricocheted off the engine , striking Smitt in the temple (3+pilot, 1)

Lange looked around . Smitt looked to be wounded and the Red Baron , his tail and rudder in dire need of repair had dived for home. This one was one they could not win, the return to base flare went up

Result

RAF

A/Lt Nicholas Betts: (Camel H) SD-FLM-FT / WIA 1 Kill
    Rolled 8 -2FLM -1WIA = 5 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 2 = Skip 1

2Lt Stanley Sumpter: (SE5a G) RTB / 0 kills

2Lt James Grinell-Milne: (SE5a L) RTB / 0 kills - Forced to retire

2Lt Simon Boddy: (Rookie Camel) RTB / 0 kills

Ace (Camel B) RTB
    Lives to fight another day.

Adlers

Hptn Franz Lange: (Blue Alb) RTB / 0 kills

Hptn Sigfried Smitt: (Red Alb) RTB / WIA / 1 Kill
    Wound - Rolled 7 +3RTB -1WIA = 9 All well when you land well.

Ltn Max Kahle: (Yellow Alb) SD-EXP-ET / 0 kills
    Rolled 10 -3EXP = 7 Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 6 = Skip 2
    E&E: Rolled 11 -1EXP -1WIC -1BEL = 8 Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario. Total Skip 2 (RW)

MvR DR1
    Lives to fight another day

I make it a 5/6 score to the Bulldogs. So close but no cigar.

A cracking game Carl. On the surface simple but with the 2 aces it upped the stakes. The RAF ace shredded tthe DR1s tail and I was sure the fire would get the rookie , but there you go.
    Dave the usual honours please.
    Done
    Last edited by flash; 06-22-2017 at 22:55.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Wow, that was rather epic Paul, love all the colourful kites

Onkel says:

A close run thing comrades, fortunately Sigfried has just a scratch & Max will make it home. We traded kites, sent one home damaged and the Baron made it back in one piece, so, even if it doesn't feel like a victory take heart that you did your best for the Kaiser and his Eagles, and you made the Bulldogs pay a steep price for their victory !
    (I made it 10/6 to the Bulldogs !)
    Check the ranks of your leading stars Paul, both are Captains !
    Last edited by flash; 06-21-2017 at 11:15.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

"Jawohl

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Congratulations Paul on the promotion of your guys to Captain. Another excellent story you have presented us.

Well played Paul, REP inbound.

A win to the Bulldogs but the Eagles put on a good show.

Very colourful aircraft in a very entertaining scrap.
    Manfred's mother is thankful after this one.
    History has changed .... but for how long?
    We will need a "Part Deux" before the campaign
    comes to a close.
    Well played, Paul.

Thumbs up

Well played Paul!
    So near to a Victory for your chaps but at least MvR lives to fight another day!
    Good thing you kept him away from those Aussie M/Gunners.

Rep Inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Well played Paul!
    So near to a Victory for your chaps but at least MvR lives to fight another day!
    Good thing you kept him away from those Aussie M/Gunners.

Rep Inbound.
    Those tales of MVR being shot down by troops is Fake News , or is that FOXhole News

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Wow, that was rather epic Paul, love all the colourful kites

Onkel says:

A close run thing comrades, fortunately Sigfried has just a scratch & Max will make it home. We traded kites, sent one home damaged and the Baron made it back in one piece, so, even if it doesn't feel like a victory take heart that you did your best for the Kaiser and his Eagles, and you made the Bulldogs pay a steep price for their victory !
    (I made it 10/6 to the Bulldogs !)
    Check the ranks of your leading stars Paul, both are Captains !
    Thanks for that as always Dave I believe its me for Julys effort. I might need to post on the 29th as I am in the land of no internet from the 30th, still whats in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Thanks for that as always Dave I believe its me for Julys effort. I might need to post on the 29th as I am in the land of no internet from the 30th, still whats in a day.
    You're not wrong Paul - 5th May 1918 or thereabouts - Fokker D.VII starts to arrive about then I believe.... as well as the Roland D.VI, if anyone has them......Gulp !! Think the Bulldogs may be in for a rough ride
    At least the SS D.III is withdrawn for a while.

Better assign me a few more pilots and RAF targets then Dave. Want a good show for the next bash.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Better assign me a few more pilots and RAF targets then Dave. Want a good show for the next bash.
    You have eight available scout 'targets' & two full crews for mission 13 against your five 'Herman' scout targets and to crews - how big were you thinking of getting ??!!
    And I don't assign your pilots

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Fokker D.VII starts to arrive about then I believe.........Gulp !! Think the Bulldogs may be in for a rough ride
    Back in 2010 when I was moderating a big face to face campaign the arrival of the D.VII, after months of the Germans soldiering on with the Albatros D.Va and Fokker Dr.I, changed the dynamic considerably!

You have eight available scout 'targets' & two full crews for mission 13 against your five 'Herman' scout targets and to crews - how big were you thinking of getting ??!!

Well, well. Congratulations Paul. That was one hell of a fight. Lovely photography, with some great close ups. Nice Albatrii Good outcome for the Bulldogs but it really was a close run thing! REP inbound
    Mike

Love the Albatri. Sleek and deadly great paint jobs too

One hello of a tuffle. Ah, those Bulldogs are a tough lot so once in a while they will pull out a victory. At least the Baron survived and will still be leading his J.G. 1.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTTBE Mission 8 Big Bertha - 21st Feb 1918.
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-13-2017, 01:23
  2. AAR OTTTBE Mission 7 - Something must be done - 7th Feb 1918
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-23-2017, 17:26
  3. AAR OTT BE Misson 4 - Santa's Little Helpers - 24th December 1917
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-05-2016, 22:41
  4. AAR OTTTBE Mission1 The End at Passchendaele - 10 November, 1917