Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Aircraft Card Album

Default New Aircraft Card Album

My object(s) all sublime, which I may achieve in time....

Are twofold.
    First, to have a relatively accurate aircraft card for every plane in my collection.
    Secondly, to have at least one example of each of the types in the Unofficial Aircraft List, with correct stats.

There are many examples of really professional artwork for unofficial aircraft in various albums. Those by MaxHeadroom, Jager's rescue of some of Max's artwork, Oldguy59's work, Guntruck of course... But the stats on these cards aren't always accurate. Sometimes it was because they used an earlier version of the stats list, before the T,U,V etc decks came out, or where the stats list had a mistake in (it still has at least one...). Some of the oldest ones predate the unofficial aircraft lists, with almost random stats assigned until something better came along.

I have neither the tools nor the skill to equal this artwork. But I can copy a card from one of the albums, check it vs the unofficial stats list, make any necessary corrections, and then save it an an album that has guaranteed correct cards.

One problem I have is giving credit where it's due. I can't really keep track of who did what in the original cards I'm using as a base. Often no correction is needed, it's straight theft. Sometimes the card artwork has minor errors - the tail of a Nieuport 24bis depicted as a Nieuport 24. More often, I have to completely change markings and often cammo to match a plane in my own collection. Rarely, I have to manufacture a card completely from scratch.

So a card may have a base Fokker D.VII originally by MaxHeadroom but redone by​ Jager, markings cut from one of Oldguy59's Nieuports, resized and changed a bit, cammo lozenge cut and pasted in sections from a bomber by Guntruck, and new stats entirely. Keeping track and annotating each card to give credit on an individual card/component basis would make the project infeasible, so I'm just going to credit each contributor for the album as a whole, if they have no objection.

The album is at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=3984

I'm giving aircraft in my own collection priority, but will be working through alphabetically after that. I'm just not a very good artist.

This will be a useful endeavor. To have plane cards for all those unofficial planes with the correct stats is something I would love to see. I have many planes where there are cards as you say were done before the latest stats list was done. If I had the tools to do this I would but sadly at the moment I don't. Thanks for takiing this on!

Hi Zoe,

Thanks for compiling and sharing such a collection. As I work on catching up, this will be a great service - much appreciated.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Well, eventually, I want to go back and do double-sided cards for all my work to date.

As I do new cards, I'm trying to ensure they are sourced to the unofficial stats file, or get input from the committee, and have an appropriate back. Lots more work, but a better product.

I still would like to help with that other project of yours, Zoe, to produce cards for all the unofficial planes. Unfortunately, I don't draw my own plane art, and need, at least, a decent top-down line drawing of the plane in question to start the card.

Thanks for the example and motivation to keep at this.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks, Zoe

I tried to copy all the past cards also but, have them by squadron so they are hard to locate.

Thank you for your efforts.

John

Much appreciated work, Zoe.

Just for the record, I did nothing to Max Headroom's cards except rename them and repost them, so that those lost in the Great Hack Attack are available again.
    All the artwork is his alone.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I don't design cards, but any card designers can get top-down, public-domain line drawings of any plane I have modeled from my album >> here <<. I know it only contains (at the time this was posted) 134 drawings of the ~1000-1500 we actually need, but it's growing, a little at a time. If any other Shapeways designers are using Blender, let me know and I'll share the tricks for turning a 3D model into a 2D orthographic line drawing so you can create your own.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had some sort of search tool so if you typed in "Albatros D.III" it would give you nice set of available aircraft cards for that plane? Maybe we need a WIKI?

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    I don't design cards, but any card designers can get top-down, public-domain line drawings of any plane I have modeled from my album >> here <<. I know it only contains (at the time this was posted) 134 drawings of the ~1000-1500 we actually need, but it's growing, a little at a time. If any other Shapeways designers are using Blender, let me know and I'll share the tricks for turning a 3D model into a 2D orthographic line drawing so you can create your own.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had some sort of search tool so if you typed in "Albatros D.III" it would give you nice set of available aircraft cards for that plane? Maybe we need a WIKI?
    That's a useful resource, thanks for this Daryl.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    .....Often no correction is needed, it's straight theft.
    That's what got you lot transported to Australia in the first place!

Knock yourself out, I have no objection. PM me if you need anything adjusted on my cards, it's probably easier to do it from source files than trying to tart up a JPEG.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I have adjusted the stats on 50-or-so of these same original cards, mainly by using 'Paint' to cut-and-paste new letters/numbers over the original values.
    I'd be happy to upload these into an Album, so long as no-one has any concerns about my doing so.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I don't design cards, but any card designers can get top-down, public-domain line drawings of any plane I have modeled from my album >> here <<.

Yes, Or a stickied thread like the Official Repaint thread, where you can jump to any aircraft on the list by following a hyperlink. A wiki would be better, as we could include histories, original photos, photos of models..

Zoe, let me know if I can help set up something.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

WOW, I did not even know they existed! Thanks!
    John

Also, if you're looking to choose colors on the plane cards, you can certainly use my color entries in this sub-forum. I don't print the RGB values there directly, because they may further the illusion that what you're seeing on your monitor is somehow a decent reference point, and RGB doesn't help anyone while painting. However, when you're coloring something that is supposed to end up on a monitor, it's a good start, and much better than a blind guess.

To pull a color off the monitor you can use a screen-grab and a paint program, but there are other ways as well:
    • If you're using Firefox there's a nice tool called ColorZilla that will sample a point and put the result on your clipboard. I assume other browsers have similar tools.
    • The CIELab coordinates are usually listed after each color square. You can use a tool like http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Convert_lab.asp to convert those to RGBs.
    • If you can look at the page source in your browser, all those little color-squares are done with a reference like img src="http://dummyimage.com/64x64/355e48/ffffff.png&amp;text=26F7", where the 355e48 part is the color in RRGGBB hex. (Example: )

Now, when you print it, the colors may come out completely different again, since the RGB->print transition is another place things can go pear-shaped. That's why the pros work in CMYK and pantone colors and all that other stuff. And that leads me to... there's a service at https://www.drivethrucards.com/ that will print custom card decks for you at a reasonable price, both front and back, on good quality card-stock. I've always been tempted to try it. Their input format is pretty exacting, though, and uses CMYK layers and special print-layout software like inDesign or Scribus (free). Here's an example of a layout specification document: https://www.drivethrucards.com/image...ot%20Cards.pdf. Now, a lot of that seems like black magic to me, but maybe someone in our ranks does this stuff for a living and would find it as easy as breathing.
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 06-05-2017 at 21:10.

Yes, Or a stickied thread like the Official Repaint thread, where you can jump to any aircraft on the list by following a hyperlink. A wiki would be better, as we could include histories, original photos, photos of models..
    Wonderful effort Zoe, would really like to see side views with any detail as well for painting. I used to love finding a card and painting a model to match, so far that has filled several crates with minis . . . .

A wiki would be better, as we could include histories, original photos, photos of models..
    I'm imagining what a nice site that could be (and studiously ignoring all the work it would take to put it together). As well as the things you mentioned, the WIKI could include introduction dates (or usage charts), places to obtain models (Nexus, Shapeways, resin, paper, ..), cards, stats, strengths and weaknesses, etc. Avoiding copyright problems would be a challenge. But the WIKI format leads to much better, more coherent results from shared contributions than a forum-format, which are better suited to discussions.

I know there are several sites that will host WIKIs (e.g. wikia.com), but I wonder if the software behind wingsofwar.org already has something available? A site I maintain has about seven formats of WIKI available.

Thank you for being willing to undertake this mammoth task, Zoe. It will be a very useful resource.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Zoe, let me know if I can help set up something.
    Ideally this should be a group effort. There is a pile of work involved.

Didn't Andrea already setup a wiki? I thought I saw a few posts asking for contributions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Didn't Andrea already setup a wiki? I thought I saw a few posts asking for contributions?
    I was going to ask the same thing.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...y-want-to-join
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

WW1 Central Powers Plane Cards - Revised by me using "Paint" - Album here.................

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=3985

WW1 Entente Plane Cards - Revised by me using "Paint" - Album here.................

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=3986

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I was going to ask the same thing.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...y-want-to-join
    Karl
    Hmm, I get "403 Forbidden" when I get to the final destination. There is another one on wikia.com but it's pretty sparse (5 pages): http://wings-of-war-wings-of-glory.w...of_Glory_Wikia.

Speaking for myself, I won't put a lot of time into it until I'm sure whoever owns it is "stable" in their commitment --- too many times in the past I've put significant effort into a web project only to see it evaporate when the owner loses interest.

Hmm, I get "403 Forbidden" when I get to the final destination. There is another one on wikia.com but it's pretty sparse (5 pages): http://wings-of-war-wings-of-glory.w...of_Glory_Wikia.

Speaking for myself, I won't put a lot of time into it until I'm sure whoever owns it is "stable" in their commitment --- too many times in the past I've put significant effort into a web project only to see it evaporate when the owner loses interest.
    One of the problems with internet leveling. Every project may look the same on the surface or upon release.

My object(s) all sublime, which I may achieve in time....

Are twofold.
    First, to have a relatively accurate aircraft card for every plane in my collection.
    And that amongst other things means making new base cards for small and large bomber bases, with and without forward and rear firing arcs..., land and sea versions...

Nearly 60 cards in the album now.. hadn't realised I had so many models without the cards for them. Not many repeats of the same type, but there's still plenty to do, especially in the way of bombers.

Soon I'll be able to take requests to prioritise people's favourites. But not until I've dealt with RE7s and the like.

Nearly 60 cards in the album now.. hadn't realised I had so many models without the cards for them.
    I know how you feel - I have nearly 100 repaints now that need cards.

Another 6 cards added. 69 in the album now. I might put the bomber sized ones in another album.

Ideally everyone's corrected cards should be merged and put in one place, and preferably in alphabetical or national order.

Up to 76 cards now. The SSW D.IV was a pain, the existing cards had the right stats, but the plane was depicted as a D.III. And of course, the lozenge on the SSW planes was diagonal on the top wing, so editing the wings was nontrivial.
    Tomorrow, I'll be working on the first of the bomber base ones, and with luck, will have all AH designs finished. My priority is to get all my own collection done first, before Wintercon (Mid July).

The idea is to eventually have a sticky, similar to the one for Shapeways aircraft availability, so that all unofficial planes have at least one card for them, with the right stats and aircraft type plan, even if it's not in the right markings for your particular model. I might also do a "how to" post on making your own cards using nothing but Windows Paint or equivalent freeware very basic graphics editors.

87 now. Found a gap in the stats list - no Lohner L! Checking its wingspan, it needs a bomber base too, but no management card.

Also need stats for an HB G.I, AEG G.II and G.IIa,. a Gotha GL.VII... and no doubt others. But I'm getting pretty close to having cards for all my painted models now.

Another problem with the Lohner L is the field of fire for the machine gun. It was not fixed but with the gunner in the right hand cockpit it cannot have been symmetrical about the centre line. I have not encountered any diagrams or photographs to give clues on this.

There is that 'Christmas tree' model available.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Another problem with the Lohner L is the field of fire for the machine gun. It was not fixed but with the gunner in the right hand cockpit it cannot have been symmetrical about the centre line. I have not encountered any diagrams or photographs to give clues on this.

Would an Equipment or Optional Rule card provide the needed detail, and keep the plane card simple? I could help with this, if someone provides the guidance.

PS: WGF Equipment Cards Album
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-17-2017 at 07:51.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

95 Cards now, and all the AH ones completed.

Would an Equipment or Optional Rule card provide the needed detail, and keep the plane card simple?
    The photos I've seen depict the mounting directly in front of the observer's seat. So while field of fire is restricted - he can't lean right too much or he'll fall out, he can't lean left too much or he'll get in the way of the pilot - it is probably symmetrical.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    You only see how bad that model is when you get one of the Shapeways ones. Lovely markings, but the tail is just.. wrong. And doesn't fit the dimensions of the L.

I might also do a "how to" post on making your own cards using nothing but Windows Paint or equivalent freeware very basic graphics editors.
    One serious problem with Paint is that if you change the dimensions of the card too much, pixilation and color distortion occurs a lot
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    One serious problem with Paint is that if you change the dimensions of the card too much, pixilation and color distortion occurs a lot
    Karl
    Oh, I know.
    Typically, I will get the outline from a top view PNG.
    I then save it as a 16 colour bitmap, to remove all greyscales.
    I then save the 16 colour bitmap as a 256 colour bitmap.
    I then edit that, inserting colour.
    Then I open a copy of the background which is also a 256 colour bmp, and insert a copy of the aircraft resizing it EXACTLY ONCE. If I get it wrong, undo, change to new size, try again.

Then I save it as a jpeg. This usually blurs things a little, covering up many errors. If it blurs too much, use line and pencil tools to touch up.

I then insert a copy, resizing as needed, in an ODT document, which in the process saves the image as a png. It's that that gets printed.

107 and counting, over 15 days. Over a dozen types never depicted before, they take the most work. We've spotted two gaps in the AH lineup on the unofficial stats list, cards will be made as soon as the stats for those types are agreed on. Otherwise AH is finished, Canada likewise, and making inroads on the French.
    After we have these finished, we'll have to put them in a more convenient order. Alphabetical? By nation? Split single seaters, 2 seaters, small bombers and giants?
    There should be a sticky at least so people can find them easily.
    Some of the official types never got models made for them - we should put at least one of each of those too for those who haven't got access to old Ares card-only products.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain
    After we have these finished, we'll have to put them in a more convenient order. Alphabetical? By nation? Split single seaters, 2 seaters, small bombers and giants?
    There should be a sticky at least so people can find them easily.
    I wonder if it would help campaign gamers if they were arranged first sort by nation, second sort chronologically, by first appearance.

Only one aircraft type today - the Caudron G4, with all 3 major weapon variants. Most in French service just had a single mg in a very limited traverse mount at the front, but some had an additional mg over the wing. Usually fired by the observer, firing to the rear, but sometimes a fixed mount firing forwards, as in Rene Fonck's mount. Most G4s in Russian service had the rear firing mg, in an astounding variety of mounts, no two apparently the same.

Anyway, 4 different cards for the Caudron G4. I'm slacking off as the computer I'm using, a venerable XP machine, is in an unheated room, and Canberra gets a bit cool this time of year. It was -3° C inside when I decided enough for tonight.

Both aicraft base sizes and firing arcs on the cards can now be considered definitive - though rear firing weapons from observers at the front will always be problematic. Anything with a wingspan greater than 15m uses a small bomber base, or a large one if over 26m.

Aircraft with only two crew positions don't need a separate management card, though of course most aircraft with bomber sized bases had more than 2 crew.

More to come soon, but we have good cards for most of the larger Caudrons already. Then onto the Deperdussin TTs and the Donnet flying boats (more bomber sized bases, the DD8 triplaces requiring a management card too).

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    I wonder if it would help campaign gamers if they were arranged first sort by nation, second sort chronologically, by first appearance.
    And by front too. No reason not to have multiple indices. But a relational database might be needed.

Date first appeared.
    Front
    Nation.
    Aircraft

My tuppencehapny worth.

Ie.

January
    Western Front
    Brtain
    France
    Germany

Eastern Front
    (Repeat above)

Along similar lines or exact lines as Dave (Flash) has done for OTT Campaigns.
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 06-23-2017 at 07:07.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Better would be to have an spreadsheet for this, and have the cards grouped alphabetically in albums by nation.

Karl

Meanwhile - another 10 cards today, 2 aircraft types making their first appearance. The Caudron R.4 (with management card) and Deperdussin TT. The rest were all existing cards that had to be corrected.

Now up to 140. The Dorand AR1 had a slightly greater wingspan and sharper edges than the AR2. The stats hadn't been updated to Y and K maneuver decks respectively, so more corrections to the list. 3 so far, so we didn't do too badly.
    And the Morane AI 27 had a slightly smaller tailplane than the AI 29 and 30, so I modified that one too.

Now at 145, with 3 new Farmans added - the MF7 Longhorn, MF11 Shorthorn, and HF20.

153 with a plethora of French twin engined bombers. Farman F50, Letord 1 and 2, as well as the Levy Besson Alerte flying boat.

There's now 171 cards in the album, with over 40 types that have never had cards for them before. I'm past the Caudrons and Farmans, and well into the Nieuports and Spads - most of which have existing images, they just need stats checked and corrected, so progress will be rapid. Then onto the interminable number of German 2seaters, where progress will be slower. That will probably have to wait till after Wintercon.

I'm averaging 7 cards/day, and my aim is 30 per week, so ahead of schedule for now. With luck, cards and stats will exist for all Shapeways aircraft by the end of July. Then we'll have to get them organised and sorted so they're more easily found.

Please review the cards and point out any problems.

At the same time, the stats committee will be working on the gaps. - Pfalz E.IV, V and VI for example, even more French flying boats, so the cards have good stats for them.

One month on, and 188 cards completed. I'll soon have to take a week's break to complete preparations for Wintercon. Please let me know if you find the cards useful, or useless due to problems.

Last few before Wintercon. There will be bombers on Sunday. Big ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. F.E.2b Aircraft Card
    By Rebel in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-09-2016, 14:13
  2. Aircraft management card
    By Brambo in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 05:00
  3. Aircraft card packs
    By Erlik Von Drax in forum Officer's Club