Ares Games

Thread: OTT BE Mission 12, 21 Apr 1918, Another Day over the Somme (Carl Brisgamer)

Default OTT BE Mission 12, 21 Apr 1918, Another Day over the Somme (Carl Brisgamer)

"All pilots and observers to the duty hut, mission briefing as follows....."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OTTBE 12_1.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	224216

Name:	OTTBE 12_2.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	224217

Name:	OTTBE 12_3.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	224218

Name:	OTTBE 12_4.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	224219

Name:	OTTBE 12_5.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	224220

Name:	OTTBE 12_6.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	224221

You can download a PDF of this briefing here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2488

Thumbs up

That looks just brilliant Carl!

Cant wait to get into that one.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    That looks just brilliant Carl!

Cant wait to get into that one.
    It gives you the OTT player a chance to make (or break) virtual history

Excellent Carl - very interesting Mission and well presented. Many thanks. I look forward to playing this one, but it may be a while as I want to prepare some terrain boards for it - we'll see if I can pull that off. Got to do the great man justice, after all

Superb ! Love the mission but hate the format it's delivered in.
    Primarily because they're images, should any thing happen the forum, as in the past, they may be lost/corrupted and we'd lose the mission. It's also harder to read. I looked to cut and paste a version from the pdf but allthewordsruntogether and would take an age to sort out.
    Clearly written up for the wider forum community as it uses RAP ace skills rather than the OTT ones - there is no equivalent to 'Good at Escaping' but for those that use tailing the "veteran" Camel can tail the "ace" Fokker (and vice versa) but no one else can - Here are the equivalent OTT ace skills applicable to the "ace" Fokker pilot:
    Deadly Aim I: Pilot can add +1 aim bonus even if he didn't shoot at plane in previous phase (This is only to the first damage card drawn). - Once per turn
    Lucky Git I: Pilot can ignore damage from a single card except the explosion card - Once per sortie
    Marksman I: When the Ace fires at an enemy aircraft he draws 2 cards & determines which 1 is given, at close range he draws 3 cards & determines which 2 are given - can use every two turns - The other cards reshuffled in the deck. (If the ace is an AI pilot, the order of damage done is: Explosion, then the higher damage. If there is a draw, special damage with the following line: Fire/pilot Wounded/jam/smoke/rudder jam.)
    Look forward to seeing how this one plays out and the variations produced - looking at you here Rob !
    Probably not the done thing as he has extra ace skills but I'd love to fly my veteran against the "ace", even if AI controlled !

"He is wise who watches"

Way to go Carl Will Snoopy beat the Red Baron on the day?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Primarily because they're images, should any thing happen the forum, as in the past, they may be lost/corrupted and we'd lose the mission.
    Similar to mine, eh Dave? Carl does have a PDF link that should survive.

Meant to add that this looks really interesting, Carl.

Infortunately business travel will prevent me from playing it until July.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 05-31-2017 at 12:44.

Primarily because they're images, should any thing happen the forum, as in the past, they may be lost/corrupted and we'd lose the mission. It's also harder to read. I looked to cut and paste a version from the pdf but allthewordsruntogether and would take an age to sort out.
    If you like Dave I can send you the original PDF, just PM me your email address. As a side point if this forum goes down the loss of collective memory would be devastating!!

Clearly written up for the wider forum community as it uses RAP ace skills rather than the OTT ones - there is no equivalent to 'Good at Escaping' but for those that use tailing the "veteran" Camel can tail the "ace" Fokker (and vice versa) but no one else can - Here are the equivalent OTT ace skills applicable to the "ace" Fokker pilot
    Thanks for that Dave, I should have included the OTT equivalents.

Look forward to seeing how this one plays out and the variations produced - looking at you here Rob !
    Probably not the done thing as he has extra ace skills but I'd love to fly my veteran against the "ace", even if AI controlled !
    As a player you can send your Bulldogs/Eagles down to help or hinder the red Fokker, but it may put you at risk depending on how the fight 'upstairs' is going. But it may be worth the added danger to be able to say 'I shot down/saved the Red Baron!'

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Excellent adventure Carl. Similar to an idea I had for later.
    Wish I could sink my teeth into this one, but I'm behind so, Good Luck Guys.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Questions about the adventure.
    When you roll a d6 to see when the rookie comes on do you need a 6 the first time and then a 5 and then a 4 or what?
    Also, can the additional planes interfere with the 3 late arrivals?
    If the Rookie, Ace, or Veteran exit the map from the North or South side how are VP awarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Questions about the adventure.
    When you roll a d6 to see when the rookie comes on do you need a 6 the first time and then a 5 and then a 4 or what?
    Also, can the additional planes interfere with the 3 late arrivals?
    If the Rookie, Ace, or Veteran exit the map from the North or South side how are VP awarded.
    Good questions all Dale!

The d6 roll randomly decides what turn the Rookie Camel enters, say 1-2 then turn 3, 3-4 then turn 4, 5-6 then turn 5. Roll at the end of turn 2.

Absolutely your planes can 'interfere' with the late arrivals! You are engaged in a medium altitude combat but you can choose to break off and join in the low altitude fight four levels below, or you can let that take it's course and continue to fight 'upstairs'. In the actual battle one of the Red Baron's pilots (Hans Weiss I think) saw von Richthofen diving away after the Camel and was going to assist but got involved in his own fight. This is a 'what if' scenario for our virtual world.

If the AI aircraft leave by any other edge before the Rookie Camel is shot down or escapes or the Ace triplane is shot down or escapes they give the enemy points for leaving the battle area before the end of the scenario.

Hope that clarifies the mechanics and spirit of the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    If you like Dave I can send you the original PDF, just PM me your email address. As a side point if this forum goes down the loss of collective memory would be devastating!!.....
    Thanks Carl, we lost images before which was bloody annoying, hopefully we are more robust now but you never know with hackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    As a player you can send your Bulldogs/Eagles down to help or hinder the red Fokker, but it may put you at risk depending on how the fight 'upstairs' is going. But it may be worth the added danger to be able to say 'I shot down/saved the Red Baron!'
    I was more thinking of my 'vet' being in the Camel !
    Instead I have set forth my no/low scorers from the Eagles and my one step from ace's chaps from the Bulldogs - one is now afire so not going great for him. The Rookie is about to appear but I lost the light last night so will conclude this afternoon.

"He is wise who watches"

Looks another good one Carl.
    I will adapt for Italy if you don't mind.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Looks another good one Carl.
    I will adapt for Italy if you don't mind.
    Rob.
    Not in the slightest Rob, in fact I was considering suggesting Offizierstellvertreter Josef Kiss - he was killed flying a Phönix D.II in a running fight at low altitude with a couple of Camels on 24 May 1918, so not too long after. At the time of his death Kiss had 19 victories - feel free to drop the 'Good at Escaping' Ace skill.

Instead I have set forth my no/low scorers from the Eagles and my one step from ace's chaps from the Bulldogs - one is now afire so not going great for him. The Rookie is about to appear but I lost the light last night so will conclude this afternoon.
    Ouch! It will be interesting to see how things work out across the campaign.

Ahhh bugger ! And it had been going so well..... but who got who ?!

"He is wise who watches"

I only have two camels

Don't take the hump i'm sure a SE5a could be substituted for this fine plane

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I only have two camels
    The overhead scrap is for Bulldogs & Eagles to get involved Ken, it doesn't have to be 3 v 3 even, and could include anything, - I used SE's & Albatrii for that scrap, using the Camels & DR.1 for the main point of interest.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Don't take the hump i'm sure a SE5a could be substituted for this fine plane
    The overhead scrap is for Bulldogs & Eagles to get involved Ken, it doesn't have to be 3 v 3 even, and could include anything, - I used SE's & Albatrii for that scrap, using the Camels & DR.1 for the main point of interest.
    SE5? I've never been able to find them at a price that I could afford.

SE5? I've never been able to find them at a price that I could afford.
    There's Always Shapeways , ( That could be an advert jingle )

There's Always Shapeways , ( That could be an advert jingle )
    I know Shapeways is popular, but when it came to any kind of modelling or painting I had to admit defeat and give up.

I only have two camels
    You could always try breeding them Ken.
    Rob.

I only have two camels
    Camels are only recommended Ken. I would use the two you have for the Rookie and veteran and any other Entente scouts - SPADs, Nieuport 28s, Hanriots, SE5as - for the fight "upstairs'.

Ahhh bugger ! And it had been going so well..... but who got who ?!
    That does not sound good Dave!
    Hope the survival rolls are kind to your chaps!

You could always try breeding them Ken.
    Rob.
    Trump would never allow it

T***p would never allow it
    Language Timothy!

Rob.

Language Timothy!

Rob.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQGNOAnfVc

indeed

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Flying this one now.

HEADLINES READ:

DISASTER NEAR MORLANCOURT RIDGE
    Last edited by Setarius; 07-21-2017 at 18:41.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT BE Mission 11, 7 Apr 1918, Water - Ship Down! (Carl Brisgamer)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-23-2017, 07:35
  2. AAR OTT BE Mission 10, 21 Mar 1918, Kaiserschlacht (Carl Brisgamer)
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-14-2017, 14:33
  3. AAR OTT BE Mission 9, 7 March 1918, Poor Little Lambs (Carl Brisgamer)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-27-2017, 10:09
  4. AAR OTT BE Mission 8, 21 Feb 1918, Bag Big Bertha (Carl Brisgamer)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-27-2017, 11:03
  5. AAR OTT BE Mission 7, 7 Feb 1918, Something Must Be Done (Carl Brisgamer)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-18-2017, 15:37