Ares Games

Thread: Golden Age of Air Racing - Shapeways

Default Golden Age of Air Racing - Shapeways

One of my "friends" has just pointed out a rather lovely range of 1/144 1920s and 1930s air racing models on Shapeways. Curse him! I am resisting the urge to send in an order!!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/arct...Air+Racing&s=0

We could certainly have some fun with those at Doncaster Dave!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The hard part is coming up with the special rules for each -- for ex.: The Gee Bees' tricky handling.

But if one can find Zvezda's _Planes: High Pilotage_....

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    We could certainly have some fun with those at Doncaster Dave!
    Rob.
    Now there's a thought.....
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

definitely some potential with these, though i've always wondered what a militarized geebee would look like

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter W. View Post
    definitely some potential with these, though i've always wondered what a militarized geebee would look like
    A smoking hole in the ground. >:)

More seriously: There's a rumor the Polikarpov I-16 was inspired by the GB design.

So far as racing rules: I'm at Enfilade! right now -- just got out of a dirt-track-racing game[*] which had potential; and I recall whoever-it-is who runs the powerboat-racing game had an air-racing variant of it (as I recall: It's main failing is that movement is over-dependent on die-rolling).

[*: I won -- last to 2nd in two corners, then an outside pass for the lead in turn three of the last lap. I got lucky. :) ]

My friends Dave and Kevin did the powerboat and air racing rules. They are both rather nice and we've found the dice aspect of movement to be fun and appropriate (it uses the same non standard dice as Formula De). Those rules were the inspiration for the range of air models on Shapeways that I linked to

Link to the rules Dave?

You have to join the Air Pirates Yahoo group to download them these days, I'll see if I can find a link, and will check to see if Dave has them somewhere else that doesn't need membership of that group.

Sounds like another pit to put my euros into

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    You have to join the Air Pirates Yahoo group to download them these days, I'll see if I can find a link, and will check to see if Dave has them somewhere else that doesn't need membership of that group.
    Cheers Dave.

They are both rather nice and we've found the dice aspect of movement to be fun and appropriate (it uses the same non standard dice as Formula De).
    Hmm, the version I saw didn't use FD dice -- one had a "primary" movement die (usually a d10 or d12), plus an optional "boost" die (usually a d4), numbered normally; so after rolling nothing but 1s and 2s for several turns....

Maybe that was an early version. The copy i have was from 2008 and that uses the FD dice, as does the version on the AP group now. The powerboat version is good fun, I've run it at the club and a few war game shows, and this year I'm running a "Mad Max" version at the Naval Wargames Show and some other events
    Last edited by David Manley; 05-28-2017 at 22:13.

Maybe that was an early version. The copy i have was from 2008 and that uses the FD dice, as does the version on the AP group now. The powerboat version is good fun, I've run it at the club and a few war game shows, and this year I'm running a "Mad Max" version at the Naval Wargames Show and some other events
    May need to remember my Yahoo groups login, then.

At least they're not like the yobbos running the _Circus Maximus_ event at Enfilade! -- having to listen to chants of "FLIP! FLIP! FLIP!" at top volume every two minutes gets *really* annoying....

Similar Missions

1. Racing for base
    By Windy Jack in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2017, 02:05
  2. DC-3 Racing
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-04-2016, 19:51
  3. Air Racing Dreamscapes
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5