Ares Games

Thread: Whoops!

Default Whoops!

On a training mission and some B17's get lost. Navigation all messed up and heavy cloud blocking view of the ground. Electrical storm is messing up instruments and they have no idea of where they are.

But then the cloud clears and 3 planes find themselves in formation over a dark blue sea. The coast is looming in the distance so maybe things are not so bad after all.

And then …. “Red two (Silver) this is Red three (Green), anything look different about Red 1 leader ? Over”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IT2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	223630

Name:	IT1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	223633

With skills honed from years of warfare the equally surprised Italian plane opens fire on the rookie B17's before they can react.

Rules of the game:-

Italian plane fires first in each round.
    US planes cannot fire until damage from Italian plane resolved.
    US planes controlled by AI.

More to follow.

Thumbs up

Well thats an interesting "Twist" Gary.
    Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Nice one Gary, looks like a challenge - will Red Leader turn up to save them from the Piaggio P.108 ?

"He is wise who watches"

Neat use of the SoG coastlines with the WoG mats too.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I will await further developments with interest.

Continues …..

Scenario Setup:-

1. Only A damage chits used.
    2. Italian plane fires first in each round.
    3. US planes cannot fire until all damage from Italian plane resolved.
    4. US planes controlled by AI using Danjel Ricci's WoG Solo system V1.7 with the K deck and substituting the XC card matching the picture for movement.
    5. US planes are in fast mode unless engine damaged.
    6. Lower guns not manned as not using altitude rules. Italian plane has one nose gun, 2 engine nacelle guns, and two waist guns. US planes, one nose gun, one upper turret, one upper limited arc gun position toward the tail, one tail gun turret, two waist guns.
    7. Wounded crew may swap on the Italian plane but not on the US planes.

The Italian fires first and causes 5 points of damage to Lt Green's plane and 3 points of damage to Lt Silver's plane. Return fire from both planes causes 5 damage points to the Piaggio.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	223742

All planes play their planned movements with both US planes unexpectedly turning towards the Piaggio.

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	223743

Italian fire causes 4 damage points to Lt Green's plane and 4 damage points to Lt Silver's the starboard waist gunner on Lt Silver's plane is killed in the exchange. In return Lt Silver's gunners hit the Italian with 3 damage points that kill the co-pilot.

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	223744

The US bombers continue to attack the Italian and close to even closer range for the next exchange of fire. That proves to be a fatal mistake as a well aimed burst of fire from the Italian Waist and Engine gunners explodes Lt Silver's plane. The gunners on the other side hand out 5 damage points to Lt Green's plane as well in return for 3 damage points against the Italian.

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	223745

Lt Silver is flying like a fighter pilot! Enraged by the loss of his friend he continues to close the range. The next exchange of fire causes 5 damage points to each plane.

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	223746

Closing to point blank range the two behemoths continue to hammer away. L Green cops 8 damage points while the Italian gets 13 in return. Things are improving for the US.

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	223747

Maintaining close contact Lt Green continues to pour fire into the Piaggio and is rewarded by the sight of it catching fire! Lt Green is hit with 11 damage points but so is the Italian.

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	223748

Unfortunately for the gallant Lt Green and his crew the next round of fire sees him hit with 15 damage points which puts his damage total up to 53 points. Our burning Italian limps off towards his base.

Name:	8.jpg 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	223749

A victory for the Reggia Aeronautica

Very nice plane, Gary.

What are you using for Plane/Management cards?

If you need something:
    WWII Italian Bombers - P.108B Plane Card
    WWII Italian Bombers - P.108B Management Card
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Very nice scenario Gary killing a B17 is no mean feat.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thank you Mike. It is your great cards that I am using.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nice scenario there Gary, great idea especially the twist.
    One question though, shouldn't the Boom card actually done half damage to the first bomber instead of full damage? Just curious.

Hi Dale. I did think about that boom card but decided to leave it fully functional against all the planes. I also thought about AA fire from the gun emplacements. With 47 pts vs 100 even with Italians firing and resolving first I had no idea what was going to happen. I never expected such an orchestrated attack like that from the B17's. It was an interesting experiment in more ways than one.

What a neat twist! I do not do much on the ETO currently - but....this does look interesting!