Ares Games

Thread: litko sucks

Default litko sucks

so i got some litko bases, pegs and toppers to replace the standard stuff, and guess what?
    everything seems ok, except the toppers which are supposed to connect the plane to the peg
    breaks at even the slightest attempt at attaching it to the peg.

i ended up altering and fitting some teflon standoffs to the pegs instead.

the attaching of the pegs to the bases is the same way, though the bases don't
    break due to being large, it really doesn't work and with the force needed to get the
    pegs in there they might as well have been drilled normally and require glue cuz
    taking them apart for storage isn't much of an option here.

unless you have a dremel and a strategy i recommend staying away from this stuff.
    it is not much of an improvement over the standard bases.

Actually Davey it is no improvement in any way I think. I just wish Aeres would produce bases for sale. It would solve a lot of problems. I was really over the moon when they did the replacement altitude sticks but you can't now get them for love nor money, especially the Bomber type.
    Last edited by Rebel; 05-20-2017 at 09:33. Reason: Typo correction.

i'm sure the pegs will get another production run at some point.
    ares is just kinda slow with that kinda stuff it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I was really over the moon when they did the replacement altitude sticks but you can't now get them for love nor money, especially the Bomber type.
    I've got spares if you need 'em, Reg.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Try Figures in Comfort at shows. I always stock up on the 10 pack fighter bases, the medium and heavy bomber bases. I also buy the Wings dials that fit over the pegs. I also buy in from the Aerodrome store when bases are in stock.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I've got spares if you need 'em, Reg.
    Hi Tim
    Thanks for the offer. I'll keep you in mind for when I totally run out.
    Reg

Through the generosity of a fellow member I managed to get some more bomber pegs for a couple of bombers that I was missing pegs for. If I had not have got them I would have gone through this lot.

http://www.corseceng.com/omni-stand/

You can use one of their dice docks to track altitude too to add to almost any size base and rod you want. I bought some for my scouts a while back and they arrived promptly at little cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    so i got some litko bases, pegs and toppers to replace the standard stuff, and guess what?
    everything seems ok, except the toppers which are supposed to connect the plane to the peg
    breaks at even the slightest attempt at attaching it to the peg.

i ended up altering and fitting some teflon standoffs to the pegs instead.

the attaching of the pegs to the bases is the same way, though the bases don't
    break due to being large, it really doesn't work and with the force needed to get the
    pegs in there they might as well have been drilled normally and require glue cuz
    taking them apart for storage isn't much of an option here.

unless you have a dremel and a strategy i recommend staying away from this stuff.
    it is not much of an improvement over the standard bases.

ive used several and filled the existing hole and drilled and filled until standard pegs fit. havent had any problems with them.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Try Figures in Comfort at shows. I always stock up on the 10 pack fighter bases, the medium and heavy bomber bases. I also buy the Wings dials that fit over the pegs. I also buy in from the Aerodrome store when bases are in stock.
    Ironically enough the Figures in Comfort stuff IS LITKO as they are the main UK distributors.
    I`ve found their stuff Ok personally though the quality is a bit variable, their main problem seems to be with the diameters of their pegs which seem to vary somewhat between batches, causing some fitting problems sometimes.
    Also they seem to have changed the design of the peg toppers, the old ones were "full circle" while the new ones are only partial.
    Best solution is to use just the bases, fill in and re-drill the hole then glue a standard Ares peg into it, perhaps also using their altitude dials with it.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 05-21-2017 at 11:48.

Went to figures in Comfort stand today at Partizan and the medium Bomber Base was the only one not in stock which was of course the one I wanted.
    Says he'll have new stock within the next two to three weeks but I wanted them today!

Not sure why you are having problems. I have been using LITKO bases and Flight pegs for a long time and have not had any problem with them. I have attached an adaptor wit a ball bearing to one plane and had not trouble with it. Not sure why you are having this problem.

Name:  IMG_4613.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4583.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  88.7 KB

Here are some planes that I used the LITKO bases on.

Unless you are using ball bearings to be able to have the planes rotate I am not sure why you would want to use the toppers. One hole would be attached to the peg on the plane and the other hole would have a bearing attached. Then you would use a ring magnet on the LITKO peg so the magnet will hold the plane (with bearing) in place.

Name:  IMG_4624.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  72.0 KB

This is a photo of 2 AIM 1/200 planes that I have a bearing attached to the belly and you can see the mag ring on the LITKO peg. The plane can be moved and removed from the peg as needed for storage.

the problem in my case lies with the toppers that are supposed to attach the plane to the peg.
    they split when i try to put them on with minimal effort.
    the bases themselves are ok, but the fit of it is such that once the peg is in there it takes a punch to get it out again,
    so i have to store them attached.
    i solved the topper issue by drilling out and glueing standard pegs to the top of the litko pegs.

filling and drilling out the bases for fitting standard pegs isn't really an option; the whole point for me was
    to replace the stacking pegs with a simpler, more robust alternative.

considering what they charge for this stuff, and let's face it i am not asking much when i want that stuff to work as it looks like it should work,
    i am sorely disappointed with litko.

perhaps next i will try that omni stand Baxter linked above. the screw in pegs seem to be more like what i am looking for.

Davey I am not sure why you are using the toppers with the LITKO pegs. I use them with planes other than the ARES ones.

Name:  DCP_6936.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  167.0 KB

Name:  DCP_6933.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  DCP_6926.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  121.1 KB

I attach a ARES flight peg to the base and then you can adjust the height of the LITKO peg.

i was basically trying to use them as intended, like this:
    Name:  AFS068-samples__47762_std.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  15.9 KB

Litko makes peg toppers that are wings compatible and then they make others. Are you using the right ones?

I use them in similar to what Bob was talking about.

My solutions using the peg toppers:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ts+peg+toppers

The peg toppers:

http://www.litko.net/products.php?pr...e#.WSJkxsa1vIU

I have not had a problem with them aside from a magnet coming loose a couple times.

yea i got the right ones.
    they are just not a good fit and way too brittle.

but like i said i solved it by glueing ares pegs to the tops of the litko pegs to attach the planes
    and it'll do for now.

Kelly I use the LITKO pegs for my 1/144 and AIM planes. What you did is what I did on just one plane to see how it worked and it came out fine. I remember seeing your how to when I looked at it. That and others might have been what gave me the idea on how I use them.

Another option other than the flame markers you showed would be to something like I did (see photo)
    Name:  DCP_6947.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  200.1 KB

I bought them at Hobby Lobby but I am sure any craft store sells them. They have a small end like pipe cleaners but then expand. Since the rings are magnetic they will attach that way. They come in orange, black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    yea i got the right ones.
    they are just not a good fit and way too brittle.

but like i said i solved it by glueing ares pegs to the tops of the litko pegs to attach the planes
    and it'll do for now.
    What I do is cut down a standard Aeres peg ( I am lucky to have some spare pegs as I bought a pack of 100 when they were available)and glue that into a 5 mm dia drilled out hole in the litko base. It does protrude by a mm or two but it works well as long as you make sure the part peg goes in square. I Then use the remainder of the peg, the part with the tapered end, for my gimbal mounts by supergluing a ring magnet to the flat end. A ball bearing being glued into a 4mm dimple in the underside of the aircraft.

Pretty much the same her Reg. You can see in the photos that I use a LITKO base and glue a flight peg to it. Then the ring mount on a LITKO peg cut to whatever length you like and glue it into another flight peg. As you I bought a couple of bags of the flight pegs when I could so I still have a number of them.

Similar Missions

1. Litko and super glue
    By Ken at Sunrise in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-03-2016, 07:59
  2. Litko Stands
    By jwclere in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-16-2015, 13:41
  3. WGSF Litko Flight Bases
    By RiotInferno in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13