Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Battle of Britain Starter Set - Finally!

  1. #1

    Default Battle of Britain Starter Set - Finally!

    It came today.

    That pre-order I put in so long ago, I don't remember when. And almost two months after the release date, my FLGS finally got one for me.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoB_Starter_20170518-1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	223464

    I could have canceled it, but I wanted the latest rule book, and especially the new "A" Maneuver Deck. And the Skill cards. Extra minis don't hurt, either, even if they are outfitted with the wrong equipment cards and bombs (Bf-109s).

    Now that I have it, I can see the differences in the decal/paint quality.

    It is my considered opinion that the Bf-109 paint scheme was specifically selected not to show up the failings of the new production system. It worked, as the scheme is in accordance with the historical colour plates.

    Nexus Molders E-3, Ares E-3, Nexus Galland E-4:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bf-109s_20170518_1Comp.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	223461

    Top down view:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bf-109s_20170518_2Comp.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	223462

    Comparison of the two closest paint schemes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bf-109s_20170518_3Comp.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	223463
    Just a bit of edging issues on the Ares plane, on the trailing edges of the wing and empennage. Livable, really.

    The Spitfire is not as good. Not bad from this angle:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spits_20170518_1Comp.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	223465

    Top down view is a bit more revealing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spits_20170518_2Comp.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	223466

    This angle is very revealing of the difference:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spits_20170518_3Comp.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	223467

    And this is half as bad as the Hurricane. I am going to have to get out the paints.

    Oh! And wonky range rulers, to boot! At least I have some of Keith's [Oberst Hajj] Aerodrome Range Rulers.

    Very sad.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  2. #2

    Default

    Seems a bittersweet ending to the saga Mike - at least they made it to you - enjoy gaming with them

    "He is wise who watches"

  3. #3


    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Mike
    Location
    New Jersey
    Sorties Flown
    124
    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default

    I feel your pain, Mike. But then, I've been repainting ALL of my planes. As a graphics designer, I never could stand the edges of wings, stabilizers and tails being left un-colored. It hit me one day as I was looking at a number of my bi-planes head-on and has been a pet peeve (or more like an obsession) of mine ever since. I must admit though, I have actually enjoyed the rebirth of my painting miniature airplanes ... something I'd not done since high school. It keeps me enthusiastically busy in my retirement!

  4. #4

    Default

    Seems your voice and observations are amongst the many who have bought the new sets.


    I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

  5. #5

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    It came today.

    That pre-order I put in so long ago, I don't remember when. And almost two months after the release date, my FLGS finally got one for me.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoB_Starter_20170518-1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	223464

    I could have canceled it, but I wanted the latest rule book, and especially the new "A" Maneuver Deck. And the Skill cards. Extra minis don't hurt, either, even if they are outfitted with the wrong equipment cards and bombs (Bf-109s).

    Now that I have it, I can see the differences in the decal/paint quality.

    It is my considered opinion that the Bf-109 paint scheme was specifically selected not to show up the failings of the new production system. It worked, as the scheme is in accordance with the historical colour plates.

    Nexus Molders E-3, Ares E-3, Nexus Galland E-4:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bf-109s_20170518_1Comp.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	223461

    Top down view:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bf-109s_20170518_2Comp.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	223462

    Comparison of the two closest paint schemes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bf-109s_20170518_3Comp.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	223463
    Just a bit of edging issues on the Ares plane, on the trailing edges of the wing and empennage. Livable, really.

    The Spitfire is not as good. Not bad from this angle:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spits_20170518_1Comp.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	223465

    Top down view is a bit more revealing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spits_20170518_2Comp.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	223466

    This angle is very revealing of the difference:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spits_20170518_3Comp.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	223467

    And this is half as bad as the Hurricane. I am going to have to get out the paints.

    Oh! And wonky range rulers, to boot! At least I have some of Keith's [Oberst Hajj] Aerodrome Range Rulers.

    Very sad.
    I must say however I really prefer the new Ares Camo colours on the Spitfire!



    "Its a fine line indeed between going out in a Blaze of Glory or having Crashed & Burnt!"
    Member Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I must say however I really prefer the new Ares Camo colours on the Spitfire!


    Perhaps. The Nexus colours are "sun faded". Yeah.

    If I actually get a paint brush on the new ones, they will also get a clear dull coat to cut the shine.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  7. #7

    Default

    I am glad that you finally received your starter set, Mike, even if it was a little disappointing.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

    ... they will also get a clear dull coat to cut the shine.
    I am thinking the same thing.

  9. #9

    Default

    As I posted in another thread, I now have an updated "old" maneuver card set for my Nexus planes:

    Sample Card 11: 60 degree Right Turn
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maneuver WWS A 11Comp.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	223506

    Now to print off four sets, clip and sleeve them for my Nexus planes.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59



Similar Missions

  1. Battle of Britain Starter Set - Unboxing Video
    By Xen in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-04-2017, 12:46
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-03-2017, 04:27
  3. Battle of France & Battle of Britain Hurricane squadrons
    By miscmini in forum United Kingdom
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-15-2017, 15:38
  4. The Battle of Britain
    By OldGuy59 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2015, 09:11
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 11:21

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •