Ares Games

Thread: OTT BE Mission 11, 7 Apr 1918, Water - Ship Down! (Carl Brisgamer)

Default OTT BE Mission 11, 7 Apr 1918, Water - Ship Down! (Carl Brisgamer)

PROLOGUE

Brussels, German Occupied Belgium
    7 April 1918
    0330hrs

Leutnant Paul Achilles walked as briskly as he was able through the dark streets of Brussels. Still suffering the effects of the evening’s drinking, his skull felt like it was being pounded from the inside with hammer. Achilles had morphia but decided against it, he needed a clear head. He had passed out and when he woke had realised what he had done. For a time he just sat with his P.08 in his hand and a bullet in the chamber. But something stopped him, a sudden urgent need to return to his Jasta, his comrades … his home. Grabbing a few things he left the small tavern and made his way to the main road heading west, the road to Bruges and to Koolkerke.

Even at this hour the road was busy with trucks moving supplies to the front and bringing wounded back from the line. Achilles flagged down one such vehicle and ordered the army driver to take him as far as Bruges….

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daimler_Marienfelde_1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	223344

Koolkerke, Flandern
    7 April 1918
    0600hrs

Kapitänleutnant Willi Mattheus was already up and working when the telephone rang. He was in the middle of executing the move of his entire Gruppe to a forward airfield at Jabbecke. It was only a matter of ten kilometres, but with the roads choked with vehicles it required precise timing and organisation. Already Oberleutnant Werner Bastian and Leutnant Reinhold Poss had most of their pilots and aircraft at the new field. Back here at Koolkerke Mattheus was getting the support echelon going forward. It was no easy task after almost three years in the same location, unlike the Richthofen Geschwader that had its own train and regularly shifted up and down the line.

And now Naval Headquarters Flanders was on the phone with orders for a special mission! Mattheus took the phone from the duty NCO and scribbled down the orders – two vessels, 15 kilometres off the coast, coordinates, direction and speed – strike to be launched no later than 0700hrs. When he explained his Gruppe was almost all deployed forward it was clear that HQ was not interested in where he was to find pilots or aircraft, just that he get the job done.

Name:	Scoreboard 06041918.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	223343

He looked up at the pilot roster and checked the aircraft readiness. There were still two of the reserve Pfalz machines at Koolkerke, along with the Halberstadt CL.II which had just flown in last night to pick up urgent spares. That might do in a pinch. The Halberstadt crew of Leutnant Heinrich Maas and his pilot Flugmeister Benno Schlüter just happened to be one of the best bomber crews serving in the See Adler Staffel. Vizeflugmeister Hans Goerth was still here at Koolkerke as well.

“Sounds like you need the services of a naval pilot,” came a familiar voice from the door of the hut. Mattheus looked up and was happy to see Leutnant Paul Achilles’ tall frame in the doorway.

“Paul!” Mattheus exclaimed smiling, “it is good to see you.”

“You too Willi …. I mean Herr Kapitänleutnant,” replied Achilles.

As Mattheus shook Achilles' hand in greeting he immediately noticed the bandage that still swathed his head under his cap. The man looked pale, somehow ragged and worn out despite his period of recuperation. Achilles appeared to notice Mattheus’ concern.

“Oh this,” he said gesturing toward his head, “it’s almost good as new. I’m ready to get back to flying duties Willi, what have you got for me?”

“I have not received your medical papers yet Paul,” said a somewhat sceptical Mattheus, “Do you have them with you?”

“They were sent before I was discharged,” lied Achilles, “they must be sitting in some shiny-arsed clerk’s tray at HQ.” Achilles saw the look on his commanding officer’s face and knew he had to push his case.

“Willi, I am ready to fly,” insisted Achilles, “in fact I feel like I must fly as soon as possible. I was not in a good way before I fell, I need to get back in the cockpit if I am to have a chance to put all that behind me.”

Mattheus was not completely convinced, but he respected Achilles’ flying abilities and knew he would feel the same if the boot was on the other foot.

“OK Paul, get into your flying gear, you are going out this morning with Goerth, Maas and Schlüter. Your targets are two Royal Navy ships off the coast, a fitting task for a navy officer wouldn’t you say?”

“Yes indeed,” agreed Achilles. “Thank you Willi,” he added sincerely before offering a salute. Mattheus returned the compliment and watched as his comrade of many months withdrew to make ready for his sortie. Any lingering doubts he may have harboured were pushed to the back of his mind as the telephone rang for the second time that morning. The duty NCO answered the call, relaying the information to his Gruppenkommandeur.

“What do you mean the fuel stocks have not yet arrived at Jabbeke?” barked an incredulous Mattheus, “The trucks left yesterday!”
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-16-2017 at 06:26.

Default AAR - OTT BE Mission 11, 7 Apr 1918, Water - Ship Down! (Carl Brisgamer)

Koolkerke, Flandern
    7 April 1918
    0920hrs

Name:	full-27170-54020-albatros_d_va_marine_field_jasta_neumunster_seefrosta__note_the_halberstadt_cl_.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	223402

Vizeflugmeister Hans Goerth sat in the duty hut at Koolkerke, where he had been debriefed so many times before. But this time it was different. There were no high spirits or cheerful camaraderie, for of the four crew that had gone out only Goerth had returned.

"So Hans, you made contact with the enemy at 0720hrs?" asked the See Adler Gruppenkommandeur Willi Mattheus.

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	223407

"Jawohl Herr Kapitänleutnant," confirmed Goerth accepting a hot cup of coffee offered him by the orderly Bootsmann Heinz Knapp. “We were 25 kilometres off the Belgian coast when Leutnant Achilles waggled his wings to indicate he had spotted the enemy vessels.”

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	223403

“There were two English ships sailing line ahead.”

Name:	R class destroyer.jpg 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	223409
    RN R class destroyer

“I recognised the closest as an R class destroyer....."

Name:	M29_class_monitor.jpg 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	223408
    RN M29 class monitor

".... and the second looked to be a monitor with 15cm guns fore and aft, the type they bring up to shell our coastal defences.”

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	223406

“Leutnant Achilles immediately banked hard to port in the direction of the enemy. As we approached I could see the enemy squadron had air cover. At first I thought they were English Naval Camels……..”

Name:	IMG_0415.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	223405

…… but as we closed I saw they were Belgians – one Camel and two Hanriots.”

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	326.8 KB 
ID:	223404

“The Belgians had obviously seen us as well as they were flying straight at our formation. Flugmeister Schlüter and I turned towards the enemy aircraft, following Leutnant Achilles.”

Name:	IMG_0418.jpg 
Size:	305.1 KB 
ID:	223410

“They approached at our level, about 1200 metres altitude. As we closed I stuck with Schlüter’s Halberstadt while Leutnant Achilles pushed ahead, perhaps looking to flank the Belgian flight.”

Name:	IMG_0419.jpg 
Size:	296.3 KB 
ID:	223411

“Moments later the battle was joined. I put a burst into the Camel shredding his port wing and aileron. Schlüter dived down to about 900 metres passing under the enemy, and I saw Leutnant Maas in the observer’s position put a long burst into the Camel with his Parabellum. Even as he dived however the Camel and a blue Hanriot opened fire on the Halberstadt and I saw flashes around the engine.”

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg 
Size:	296.8 KB 
ID:	223412

“We passed through the enemy flight and I could see Flugmeister Schlüter start to line up the destroyer, with Leutnant Maas still firing up at the Camel that flashed past the Halberstadt.”

Name:	QF 3-in <acronym title=AA gun.jpg  Views: 98  Size: 74.9 KB  ID: 223421" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    QF 3-in AA gun mounted on RN monitor

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	223413

“The ships’ flak batteries then started firing at Leutnant Achilles and Schlüter,” Goerth stated before pausing to take another sip of coffee. “They continued on regardless, as we all do for they rarely come close. But then the unthinkable happened,” said Goerth shaking his head in disbelief. “I saw a shell burst right under the Halberstadt. I knew immediately they were in trouble as the aircraft shot up with the force of the explosion then began to fall away towards the ocean in broad spirals.”

Name:	IMG_0422.jpg 
Size:	310.9 KB 
ID:	223414

“I did not have time to watch it all the way down as I pulled up my nose and reversed course on to the tail of a green and brown Hanriot.” continued Goerth, “I gave him a long burst which struck his fuselage. I saw Leutnant Achilles perform the same manouvre and shoot up the Camel, which was set alight.”

Goerth looked up suddenly interrupting his report “Do you think they could have come through Herr Kapitänleutnant? Do you think they have a chance?”

“We have called the Seeflugstation at Zeebrugge,” Mattheus said trying to offer even a shred of hope to the young NCO pilot, “they will be out there looking for them right now.”

Vizeflugmeister Goerth nodded and forced himself to continue the recount.

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	223415

“I saw Leutnant Achilles exchange fire in a head to head pass with the blue Hanriot, and at the same time my Hanriot spun around to come back at me.”

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg 
Size:	293.6 KB 
ID:	223416

“I was ready for his manoeuvre and immediately came around again behind the Belgian, levelling out above and behind at an altitude of 1500 metres. I dropped my nose and squeezed off another burst perforating his rudder. I glanced to port and saw that Leutnant Achilles was still engaging the blue Hanriot as the blazing Camel was diving away.”

Name:	IMG_0428.jpg 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	223417

“I kept after my Hanriot….”

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg 
Size:	284.9 KB 
ID:	223418

“…..as the blue Hanriot reversed at Leutnant Achilles. I also saw the Camel dive away steeply. His dive seemed to extinguish the flames coming from his aircraft.”

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	223419

“A series of white puffs indicated the English flak opened fire at Leutnant Achilles but this time recorded no hits.”

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	223420

“My next burst tore through the Hanriot’s tail section as he banked hard to starboard to escape me.”

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg 
Size:	322.6 KB 
ID:	223422

“But the canny Belgian reversed his turn and soon I lost sight of him. As I came about flying back towards Leutnant Achilles I caught a glimpse of my Hanriot turning hard to port to come around behind me.”

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	223423

“I reversed course again then kicked the rudder bringing my nose around to meet the oncoming Hanriot. I opened fire and saw the enemy aircraft shudder and smoke begin to pour out of the cowl. He fired back at me as well and did not miss. The burst struck my engine and I felt an immediate loss of power. I knew I was in trouble…..”

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	223424

“… but then I saw my Hanriot still trailing smoke drop into the sea.”

Name:	IMG_0440.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	271.1 KB 
ID:	223425

“I banked to port passing Leutnant Achilles. He must have seen I was in difficulty and directed me to head for home. With the blue Hanriot still fighting and the damaged Camel climbing back into the fray I did not want to leave Leutnant Achilles to fight them alone, but I would have been of little help.”

Name:	IMG_0441.jpg 
Size:	282.3 KB 
ID:	223426

“As the Sopwith Camel was climbing to shoot at me Leutnant Achilles dropped his nose and fired a burst into the Belgian machine.”

Name:	IMG_0442.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	321.3 KB 
ID:	223427

“It must have been effective as the Camel gave up pursuit and banked left.”

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg 
Size:	269.8 KB 
ID:	223428

“As I found a bearing for home I glanced back and saw Leutnant Achilles was still manoeuvring to get another shot at the Camel. That was the last time I saw his Pfalz,” said Goerth. “I was lucky my engine held out and I was able to get back. If Leutnant Achilles had not covered me I would have been kaput.”

As Bootsmann Knapp finished typing Willi Mattheus stood up and placed a hand on Hans Goerth’s shoulder. “I know you would have done the same for him Hans, as would we all. I am not giving up on Achilles yet, he has been in tight spots before and come out the other side. Get some food into you and rest up, I will let you know when we receive news.”

Jawohl Herr Kapitänleutnant,” said Goerth as he stood and saluted the Gruppenkommandeur. As he returned the salute Mattheus, despite his hopeful words, was feeling none of the confidence he had just expressed.

THE STORY CONTINUES......

Seeflugstation Flandern
    7 April 1918
    1210hrs

Name:	Seeflugstation.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	223468

Kapitänleutnant Willi Mattheus braked heavily, bringing the See Adler Staffel’s Minerva Knight staff car to a screeching halt. He and the other occupant Vizeflugmeister Hans Goerth leapt from the open topped vehicle. They were greeted by a petty officer waiting outside the base Lazarett.

“Herr Kapitänleutnant, this way,” gestured the Bootsmann. “Leutnant Maas was plucked from the sea by one of our Hansa-Brandenburg float planes. He was the only one of your aircrew we could recover.”

The man led the pair to a small room where Leutnant Heinrich Maas was recuperating from his recent ordeal. His face was bruised from the force of the impact, and he was swathed in heavy blankets to fight the hypothermia he was suffering after spending so long in the cold waters of the Nordsee.

Heinrich Maas opened a black eye as best he could as Mattheus and Goerth entered the room. He started to struggle to pull himself up on the bed, but soon gave up and sank back down.

“Rest easy Heinrich,” said Mattheus, “it is good to have you back, a little more bruised and waterlogged than we would have liked but good all the same.”

“It was a close call Willi,” croaked Maas, his voice still hoarse from the seawater. Hans Goerth fetched chairs for the both of them as Mattheus poured the wounded officer a mug of water from the pitcher on the table.

“Drink this,” he said holding the mug so Maas could take a mouthful.

“I will make my report Herr Kapitänleutnant,” he said in as formal manner as he could manage.

Mattheus and Goerth sat by his bedside as Leutnant Maas related his observations of the morning’s mission.

“Flugmeister Schlüter was lining up the first ship when their flak opened up,” Maas started. “Damnably accurate it was. The first salvo exploded right below the Halberstadt, with shrapnel tearing through the fuselage and wings. How neither of us were hit – well, it was nothing short of a miracle.”

Maas paused to take another drink before continuing.

“The blast and shrapnel had done too much damage to the airframe, struts and bracing wires shot all to hell. Benno did his best to control the descent but even so we hit the water hard. I blacked out on impact,” he said, absently rubbing his bruised forehead, “but the cold water soon roused me. The Halberstadt had been torn in half and I managed to grab hold of the tail section. I saw Benno climb out of the cockpit onto the top wing.” Leutnant Maas paused for a moment, then looked to Hans Goerth.

“I saw you take down that Hanriot Hans,” he confirmed. “He fell trailing smoke and came down a few hundred metres from our position.”

“He did not go easy,” Goerth responded with a grimace, “shot up my engine and forced me to break for home.”

Willi Mattheus cut to the chase when he asked, “Did you see what happened to Leutnant Achilles?”

Heinrich Maas looked to the Gruppenkommandeur, “Yes sir I did.”

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	223469

“I looked up and heard the chatter of his Maxim guns as he engaged the Camel.”

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	316.9 KB 
ID:	223470

“The Camel immediately disengaged and went for home. Achilles could not catch him in the Pfalz so he turned back to fight the blue Hanriot.”

Name:	IMG_0449.jpg 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	223471

“On their first past the Hanriot pulled an Immelmann and got a burst in on Paul’s Pfalz….”

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	223472

“….before reversing again. The Belgian stuck to his tail firing as he went.”

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	223473

“This time it was Paul who brought his Pfalz about and made a head on pass at the Belgian. I could see they both fired,” reported Maas.

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	223474

“….but as they separated I could see Paul’s Pfalz was burning.”

At that news Goerth swore and placed his head in his hands.

Keeping his composure Willi Mattheus asked “What happened then Heinrich?”

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg 
Size:	269.8 KB 
ID:	223475

“I saw Paul turning the Pfalz to keep the flames away from the cockpit. The Belgian must have taken some damage as well as he was slow to follow up.”

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg 
Size:	277.2 KB 
ID:	223476

“Still banking left and right Paul was approaching the enemy ships.” Maas paused taking a deep breath which developed into a cough. Mattheus again brought the mug of water to his lips.

Name:	IMG_0457.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	223477

“Then I saw Paul dive his Pfalz straight towards the monitor as the fire flared up.”

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	223478

“The Royal Navy put up a barrage of flak but none of it touched Paul’s aircraft.”

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	223479

“I saw Paul’s flaming Pfalz pass low over the ship, still on fire…”

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	274.7 KB 
ID:	223480

“…. but then the flames seemed to die down. Paul reversed direction and headed back to the monitor.”

Name:	IMG_0466.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	223481

“I heard Paul machine gunning the ship as he approached. The blue Hanriot had doubled back but it was too late to intervene.” Maas’ voice was close to giving out, but he continued as bet he could. “Paul was low, mast-top height as he approached the ship ….”

Name:	IMG_0467.jpg 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	223482

“…. and then I saw him dive the Pfalz DIRECTLY INTO THE SHIP!”

Maas’ coughing grew worse, as if he could not bear to speak the words.

“I saw the Pfalz smashed to pieces as it hit the rear turret of the monitor,” Maas croaked. “I am sorry Willi, but Paul could not have survived,” he said looking directly at Mattheus.

“What of Flugmeister Schlüter?” asked the grim faced See Adler Gruppenkommandeur.

“After the battle the English destroyer picked up the Belgian pilot Hans shot down, then came about towards us, replied Maas. “The ship reached Benno first and dragged him out of the water. I thought I was for the cage as well, and I must admit by that time I was cold enough that I would have welcomed a dry Royal Navy blanket and a cup of hot English tea. But right about then one of our seaplanes arrived over the area and the Engländer decided to call it a day. They steamed off to the west, and the seaplane picked me up.”

Mattheus nodded, “And very happy we are to have you back. I am sorry Benno is not with you, a shame to break up your team.”

“He will be fine Willi, the English will treat him well I am sure,” said Maas. “I am sorry to have to bring you the news about Paul. He was a very brave man, what he did deserves a medal.”

Mattheus stood and straightened his jacket. “It is always hard to lose a comrade, even harder a friend,” he said. “When you are well enough I will get you transferred to the hospital in Bruges. The See Adlers will need you back before long Heinrich, don’t get too comfortable.”

RESULT - ENTENTE VICTORY
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-19-2017 at 06:04.

Default CASREP - OTT BE Mission 11, 7 Apr 1918, Water - Ship Down! (Carl Brisgamer)

CASUALTY REPORT (AKA THE BUTCHER'S BILL)

SEE ADLER STAFFEL

Name:	Achilles <acronym title=KIA.jpg  Views: 78  Size: 218.9 KB  ID: 223483" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Leutnant Paul Achilles, See Adler Staffel (Jagdflieger – Pfalz D.IIIa with yellow tail)
    SD SEA WIA / 0 kills
    C&W 5 – 1 SD – 1 SEA – 1 WIA = 2 - Dead!

Name:	Burial at sea.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	223484

Leutnant Paul Achilles was killed instantly when he crashed his Pfalz D.IIIa into RN monitor HMS M32. The first of the See Adler Staffel to be killed in action, Achilles’ remains were extracted from the wreck and he was buried at sea off the English coast right on dusk, 7 April 1918.

Name:	Goerth.jpg 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	223485

Vizeflugmeister Hans Goerth, See Adler Staffel (Jagdflieger – Pfalz D.IIIa with red stripes)
    RTB (3 damage) / 1 kill (Belgian Hanriot HD.1, fourth confirmed victory)

Name:	Schluter & Maas.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	223489

Flugmeister Benno Schlüter, See Adler Staffel (Fluzeugfuehrer, Halberstadt CL.II, wounded in action for the first time, qualified for Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz)
    EXP SEA / 0 kills
    C&W 9 - 3 EXP - 1 SEA = 5 Injured - Skip 1D3 (2) Scenarios
    E&E 2 – 1 EXP – 1 WIC – 1 SEA = -1 Captured! The war ended for this pilot...

Flugmeister Benno Schlüter was fished from the North Sea by the crew of RN destroyer HMS Redoubt. Slightly wounded in the crash, Schlüter was treated on board ship before being transferred to the RN hospital at Harwich that evening. After two weeks he was transferred to a prisoner of war camp.

Leutnant Heinrich Maas, See Adler Staffel (Beobachter, Halberstadt CL.II, wounded in action for the first time, qualified for Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz)
    EXP SEA / 0 kills
    C&W 8 - 3 EXP - 1 SEA = 4 – Injured – Skip 1D6 (3) Scenarios
    E&E 8 – 1 EXP – 1 WIC – 1 SEA = 5 – In hiding! – Skip 1D2 (2) Scenarios

Plucked from the cold North Sea, Leutnant Heinrich Maas was treated for his wounds at Neumunster and Bruges before being granted home leave. Leutnant Maas returned to operational duty with the See Adler Staffel in early June 1918.

Belgian Bulldogs

Name:	IMG_0472.JPG 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	223488

Lieutenant Louis Crombez 9me Escadrille de Chasse (Scout pilot, Sopwith Camel)
    RTB (14 damage) / 0 kills

Lt. Crombez nursed his damaged Camel back to his base at Les Moeres where he landed safely.

Sous Lieutenant Alfred Ivanow 9me Escadrille de Chasse (Scout pilot, blue Hanriot HD.1)
    RTB (9 damage) WIA / 0 kills
    C&W 8 + 3 LSA – 1 WIA = 10 - All well when you land well!

Although wounded S-Lt. Ivanow brought his damaged Hanriot back to his airfield at Les Moeres. He received immediate treatment where his wound was found to be less serious that it first appeared. Ivanow was soon back in action with his Escadrille.

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	223486

Sous Lieutenant Emile Boschmans 9me Escadrille de Chasse (Scout pilot, camouflaged Hanriot HD.1)
    SD SEA / 0 kills
    C&W 5 – 1 SD – 1 SEA = 3 - Injured - Skip 1D6 (2) Scenarios
    E&E 9 – 1 WIC – 1 SEA = 7 – Landed almost home! – Skip 1 Scenario

S-Lt. Boschmans was lightly wounded when his Hanriot crashed into the sea. He clung to the wreckage of his aircraft until rescued by the RN destroyer HMS Redoubt. By the end of the day the Belgian officer was being treated in a Royal Navy hospital in Harwich. He was discharged two weeks later and after a period of convalescence was back with the 9me Escadrille de Chasse in the middle of May 1918.

Royal Navy Flotilla

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	223487

HMS M32 (M29 class monitor)
    8 damage, 2 kills

HMS Redoubt (R class destroyer)
    0 damage, 0 kills

The damage done to the monitor by the crashing Albatros temporarily put the ‘B’ turret gun out of action. With the arrival of a German seaplane over the area some hour or so later and risk of U-Boat attack the decision was made to withdraw back to Harwich. The HMS Redoubt which had been involved in picking up downed aircrew was ordered to abandon further rescues and escort the damaged monitor back to port.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-19-2017 at 05:51.

Nice link in from the last post - I admit, I'm having trouble finding a story line myself, to link the two scenarios. It'll come in a while - I hope. Meantime, I shall look forward to the continuing saga of Ltn Paul Achilles. Sorry, further rep not possible at present, although this and your last post deserve it! Chau for now. Mike

Thanks for the kind comments Mike. I hope my efforts exploring different aspects of these virtual characters are engaging for our audience.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Thanks for the kind comments Mike. I hope my efforts exploring different aspects of these virtual characters are engaging for our audience.
    They sure are to me Carl!

Sharp, breathtaking action as usual Carl, quite a punch up in the end.
    Little confused as I think you may have done your own chaps in by using the D deck for AA ?!

Onkel says:

We are saddened by the loss of Paul Achilles but that is the nature of war and we must fight on for the fatherland

We are pleased to here the report that Flugmeister Benno Schlüter has survived albeit as a POW, we are also pleased to report that his service has been recognised by GHQ by the award of the Iron Cross erste class for combined missions and his victory, as well as the Wound Badge in black.
    Leutnant Heinrich Maas, receives the Wound Badge in black and will be returning to duty in due course.

You missed the +1NML for E&E but sadly in both these cases it made no difference.

In the meantime we'll have to see about getting replacements to cover our losses - I note the pilots Carl, if you can PM me details of a two seater crewman I will add him to round out the roster to a full complement.
    Last edited by flash; 05-20-2017 at 01:16.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Sharp, breathtaking action as usual Carl, quite a punch up in the end.
    Little confused as I think you may have done your own chaps in by using the D deck for AA ?!
    You are 100% correct Dave, I made the error of applying D damage for the flak. I realized what I had done when I was packing up the game but by then it was too late. I have done this before particular after playing a lot of WGS where the damage for flak is a D chit. I may have to write myself a note in future!

I'm pretty sure it would not have made that much difference anyway as the top card on the C deck was 8 damage and smoke which would have left the CL.II with 2 damage points, I don't think they were getting home in one piece.

Great action and story as usual, Carl.
    I think my results are going to end up worse, as usual, even though I did use the "C" deck for AA.
    The way my missions have been going of late I think I may end up with PTSD.

I have my photos sorted and Butcher's figured out, so now, like Mike, must come up with a story line.
    SWMBO is out tonight so I should be able to get at least a good start ...

I decided to report this one as a first person recount just for something different. Of course the only pilot who made it back did leave the battle halfway through, but I have that covered.

... Of course the only pilot who made it back did leave the battle halfway through, but I have that covered.

To quote the Python Yorkshiremen, "You were lucky!"

... I have done this before particular after playing a lot of WGS where the damage for flak is a D chit. I may have to write myself a note in future!...
    Ah, a WGS flashback.. or is that a flash forward ?
    At least the top of the C deck wasn't four zeroes !

Nice ARR. Carl? Where did you get this sea/ocean play mat? Have been searching for one eternally.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtschwärmer View Post
    Nice ARR. Carl? Where did you get this sea/ocean play mat? Have been searching for one eternally.
    It is an aerial photograph I had printed up at Officeworks. It is B0 sized (1414mm x 1000mm) on 160gsm paper and cost me AU$47.

Name:	Ocean.jpg 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	223441

Sweet. You don't have by any chance the file at hand, so that I could order a vinyl mat myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtschwärmer View Post
    Sweet. You don't have by any chance the file at hand, so that I could order a vinyl mat myself?
    I have just uploaded the image to the file section here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2484

Good game good terrain good AAR

Fantastic Carl. Really want to know the outcome now Love the pics - really difficult to make out the ships, which seems soooo realistic - great shots. Pity about the "D" deck, but thanks for the heads up REP on the way if permitted. Cheers, Mike

I have just uploaded the image to the file section here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2484
    REP!

Edit: Got to reload first.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Excellent story and follow up to your previous one Carl. Waiting on the conclusion.
    The water mat looks great with just the right amount of glare where needed.

Thanks for sharing that, Carl.
    Rep worth, but saving my ammo for your AAR.

I hope my efforts exploring different aspects of these virtual characters are engaging for our audience.
    They sure are to me Carl!
    What he said - absolutely Carl -
    Mike

Well the AAR was well worth the wait. An epic show Carl, and great backup photos. Sorry about Achilles, he was a favourite of mine, but glad to see we gave him a send off with full military honours.
    Rep gun loaded.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you Rob. much appreciated. Epilogue still to come with some loose ends to wrap up.

Hi Dave,

With a vacancy for a Jagdflieger in the See Adler Staffel the Gruppenkommandeur will transfer Vizeflugmeister Alexander Zenzes from the See Front Staffel. Vzfm. Zenzes already has one victory to his credit following the bomber intercept mission (OTTBE 7) which qualified him for the pilot's badge.

To replace the captured Flugmeister Benno Schlüter, two-seater pilot Leutnant zur See Kurt von Collani has been transferred to the See Adler Staffel.

Each time I visit, something new and interesting has been added to your AAR Carl. Soooo sorry about Paul Achilles. Didn't realize you'd lost him.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Each time I visit, something new and interesting has been added to your AAR Carl. Soooo sorry about Paul Achilles. Didn't realize you'd lost him.
    Thanks Mike. I have been very lucky, Leutnant Achilles was the first of the See Adlers lost in 14 missions. I have not given up hope on Schlüter, there is always the chance of a prisoner exchange

I was planning on holding back my aces from this mission for exactly that reason.
    As it turned out they were not available anyway.
    Even with Dave giving us NML settings for the EET it's still tough to get home.

Let's hope we get something similar to Early Doors #20 this season.

Thumbs up

What a superb story & dramatic AAR Carl
    I was on the edge of my seat through the whole set to.
    For once your See Adlers came off second best.
    Sad to see Archilles' demise but you could see from his back story he was at the end of his endurance.
    What a heroic way to die! R.I.P. Paul Archilles.

Onkel has responded in post #7 Carl - a small bonus in the offing

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Onkel has responded in post #7 Carl - a small bonus in the offing
    Danke Onkel! The EKI was unexpected and very welcome.

I have posted brief profiles of the three replacement See Adler aircrew on the 'Late War Campaign' thread here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post446084

Default EPILOGUE - OTT BE Mission 11, 7 Apr 1918, Water - Ship Down! (Carl Brisgamer)

Jabbeke, West Flandern
    9 April 1918
    1800hrs

Name:	Mercedes Prima.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	224185

Bootsmann Heinz Knapp sat at his desk smashing away at the keys of his little Mercedes Prima typewriter. He had only just finished unpacking his office equipment at Jabbeke airfield when the Gruppenkommandeur had ordered him to type up two medal recommendations for Leutnant Achilles and Flugmeister Schlüter. Neither pilot had made it back from their last mission. As Knapp typed out the reports his doubts about the sanity of officers, particularly pilots, appeared to be confirmed. 'Iron Crosses or wooden crosses,' thought Knapp, 'sometimes both.'

"Sie sind alle verrückte Köpfe", muttered Knapp under his breath, glancing furtively at the door of the Kapitänleutnant's office. As officers went Mattheus was probably better than most, but he would still prefer to be up in the air freezing his balls off fighting the English Lords than be here in a relatively warm and safe office. Knapp just could not get his own head around it. He was very happy with his posting - better here typing up rubbish reports than scraping barnacles from some rust-bucket destroyer in Wilhelmshaven or dodging shot and shell in the mud of the trenches. Sure it was no picnic, what with all the officers around telling him what to do all the time. He was smart though, for he had developed a booming parade ground voice from his years training naval recruits, and he used it to good advantage. Many an officer given the choice of ordering Knapp to do something and then having to suffer through the almost intolerably loud report would either find someone else or just do the job themselves. Best of all when it was time for the shooting to start he got to send the officers off to fight while he kept the Staffel running smoothly in their absence. Yes indeed, all in all a tolerable war.

Still bashing away at the keys, Knapp again looked at the Kapitänleutnant's office door. He wondered what was going on in there, what with the unexpected visitors and all. He had only just started typing the reports when two Feldgendarmerie had appeared at the door. Knapp like any German sailor had experienced a brief moment of panic at the sight of Kettenhunde - the 'chained-dogs' so called because of the shining silver gorget they wore around their necks. Knapp had a few skeletons in the closet that he would prefer the Feldgendarmerie not know about, so he was much relieved when the Leutnant asked to speak to the Gruppenkommandeur.

Name:	feldgenpic2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	224183

It had been the better part of half an hour now and still they were in there. Knapp felt another cold chill - perhaps they had come for him and they were laying out all the charges to his commanding officer! Knapp paused in his typing for a moment, picturing himself busted down to the rank of Matrose in some naval penal battalion. But he shook his head as he continued his typing apace. Surely not, the Kapitänleutnant could not run the Staffel without me, Knapp reminded himself. Who would type his reports?

Bootsmann Knapp was just finishing the second report when the door opened. Knapp examined the completed documents, giving the appearance of studious attention and at the same time avoiding any eye contact with the Kettenhunde.

"Thank you for your time Herr Kapitänleutnant," stated the Leutnant in a matter of fact policeman's voice, "I consider this case closed."

Knapp glanced in the Gruppenkommandeur's direction and saw him return the Feldgendarmerie officer's salute, but Mattheus made no reply. As the military policemen left Mattheus returned to his office, leaving the door open. Knapp tore the last report from his typewriter and stood up, straightened his tunic and marched into his commanding officer's office. He was about to make his report in his usual manner but the grave look on Mattheus' face made him think twice.

"The reports you requested Sir," stated Knapp, placing the documents down on the table. Without looking up Mattheus took the documents reading first one, then the other. He signed the recommendation for Flugmeister Schlüter's Eisernes Kreuz I.Klasse and passed the document back to Knapp.

"See this goes out in the morning Knapp," ordered Mattheus, "that will be all."

Knapp stood there not quite sure what to do next. "Should I take the other report Sir?" he asked tentatively.

"I SAID THAT WILL BE ALL BOOTSMANN, YOU ARE DISMISSED," shouted the Gruppenkommandeur, "NOW GET OUT!"

"JAWOHL HERR KAPITÄNLEUTNANT," responded Knapp, reverting to his usual manner. He saluted, executed an impeccable about turn and marched back to his desk. After packing up his typewriter Knapp made for the door. As he passed the Kapitänleutnant's office he thought he caught a glimpse of Mattheus tearing up Leutnant Achilles' Iron Cross recommendation, and throwing the pieces into the waste bin that sat beside his desk.

Bootsmann Heinz Knapp left the duty hut and paused at the stairs to adjust his cap.

"Officers," he muttered, "they are ALL mad."
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 07-25-2018 at 19:12.

Oh very good Carl. Pretty dramatic end to the tale! And a sobering end to Ltn Achilles! Mike

You have a novel in the works here, Carl.

And a very interesting twist (and finality) to the sad tale of Ltn Paul Achilles.

Thumbs up

I do not think that girls fate when Archillies had a hand to her throat turned out well!

Great end to a all around dramatic AAR story!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I do not think that girls fate when Archillies had a hand to her throat turned out well!

Great end to a all around dramatic AAR story!
    I decided not to explicitly deal with the details of the event, leaving it up to the reader to interpret the outcome of that evening. Dealing with it in that fashion also gave me an opportunity to tell part of the See Adler story from the point of view of one of the ground staff, the irascible Bootsmann Heinz Knapp. He provides a somewhat different perspective on the war!

You are rapidly becoming a wordsmith of the highest order Carl.
    There should be an Iron pen with oak leaves for your achievement.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you gentlemen, I am glad you find my rough scratchings entertaining.

Carl, a thing of beauty. I love the surface (will have to try and upload myself), loved the action, loved Mission 11 (ships and planes!) and I am a sucker for the historic photos. REPs on the way.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Love your work Carl. Just enough detail to fill in the gaps and just enough gaps to fuel the imagination.
    I suspected Ltn. Achilles was on a one way trip when he left the Eagles Nest.
    I wonder how you would do writing a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Carl, a thing of beauty. I love the surface (will have to try and upload myself), loved the action, loved Mission 11 (ships and planes!) and I am a sucker for the historic photos. REPs on the way.
    Thanks William, I was very happy about how the photo map turned out.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 07-25-2018 at 19:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Love your work Carl. Just enough detail to fill in the gaps and just enough gaps to fuel the imagination.
    I suspected Ltn. Achilles was on a one way trip when he left the Eagles Nest.
    I wonder how you would do writing a book.
    Glad you are enjoying the story Dale. As for a book, perhaps I could compile the narrative at the end of the campaign?

Great action and story Carl. Sad that the duty driven Achilles met his end. Your writing gets better and better if that is at all possible.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT BE Mission 10, 21 Mar 1918, Kaiserschlacht (Carl Brisgamer)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-14-2017, 14:33
  2. AAR OTT BE Mission 9, 7 March 1918, Poor Little Lambs (Carl Brisgamer)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-27-2017, 10:09
  3. AAR OTT BE Mission 8, 21 Feb 1918, Bag Big Bertha (Carl Brisgamer)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-27-2017, 11:03
  4. AAR OTT BE Mission 7, 7 Feb 1918, Something Must Be Done (Carl Brisgamer)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-18-2017, 15:37
  5. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 12-07-2016, 19:18