Ares Games

Thread: King Kong rules file

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default King Kong rules file

I have uploaded a file on my profile page entitled "King Kong rules as used by The Wright Flight" - pretty self-explanatory, really... Since this is the first file I've uploaded, I don't know if you can access it from the regular files section or if you have to go to my profile...

These are the rules we used at our Bloody April version of our regular 2nd Saturday of the Month gaming get-together - folks seemed to have a lot of fun with them. Feel free to comment on them - in no way are they set in stone - and I'm happy to change and adapt them as necessary to get a more 'realistic' game out of it.

Since I have the Crooked Dice model of the Giant Ape and had built a building top for him to move around on, we did range to the actual model of Kong on the roof top rather than to a central aiming point. This added some extra flavor into the mix, and the randomness of Kong's movement each phase adds another aspect of uncertainty.

All in all, he's a fun beastie to be gaming with - I think he'll make another appearance in the not-too-distant future...

All the best,
    Matt

Way cool! And well done! Love crossovers as opportunities to bring in new players! Just saw the last Godzilla movie . . .

Love to see an AAR Matt

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I only took three pictures during the game, Paul, but the next time we play I will take more so I can do a proper AAR..

We used the City mat and the Industrial Center mat, as the building top seemed to 'fit' well against the larger city 'backdrop'...and planes were Bloody April fare - Albatros DIIIs, a Sopwith Pup, a couple of F2Bs, and an FE2b - if I remember correctly there were 4 Germans and 4 Brits taking on one another and the 8th Wonder of the World.

Below you see the Pup closing in on the Beast. The fact that Kong could move around on the rooftop made plotting one's movement a bit iffy, simply because we were measuring range to the model of the ape as opposed to a central point on the building top. The Sopwith will bank around the right side of the building and come at the ape from the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0838.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	223616

This picture shows the Pup AFTER he has been thrown in a random direction by the Beast - he happened to be thrown across the building to the opposite side. Since it was on his first movement card of the turn, he had to continue with the two cards he had previously chosen - we figured he's trying to regain control of his plane and figure out where he is...

Name:	IMG_0839.jpg 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	223617

This third picture shows a closer view of planes closing in on Mr. Kong - again, his ability to potentially move away or closer to an attacker can scramble pilot plans a little bit, but there were a number of times when the movement roll had him standing where he was...

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	223618

We played only 5 turns of the 10-turn game, and Kong had received about half of his total possible damage points. He had damaged several planes and destroyed one, but 8 planes pecking away at him kept him busy and inflicted somewhat steady damage. Everyone had quite a lot of fun, and some planes actually shot at one another!

After-game discussion turned to possible adjustments to the rules - most felt the basic game we'd played worked quite well, but there was some discussion of the Great Ape throwing fecal matter (as apes are wont to do...), and the idea of Kong being able to 'boost' his morale by pounding his chest also came up, hence the item in the rules allowing him to 'regain' damage points on a phase where he scares the attacker with his roar and chest-pounding antics.

It really was a lot of fun, and I highly recommend the Crooked Dice 'Great Ape' - it's a beautiful little model.

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    I have uploaded a file on my profile page entitled "King Kong rules as used by The Wright Flight" - pretty self-explanatory, really... Since this is the first file I've uploaded, I don't know if you can access it from the regular files section or if you have to go to my profile...
    You can do both Matt - but to make it easier the link to your Kong file is here !

"He is wise who watches"

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

You are a clever lad, Dave! Thanks for setting that up

Here is the link to the ape figure: www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/giant-ape/

I ran the game at Origins, and it went over really well - there is an AAR on that thread of the WWI discussion threads with more pictures.

All the best,
    Matt

Similar Missions

1. King Kong?
    By matt56 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-03-2017, 15:20
  2. King Kong vs planes at the empire State Building scenario.
    By Legendmaker in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-2017, 22:09
  3. California King Kong vs WW1 Biplanes scenario played in California see video
    By Legendmaker in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2017, 00:26
  4. taking the king kong idea a bit further ww2 style
    By spookiedfx in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 22:51
  5. King Kong mission
    By Xron Almighty in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 14:33