Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 10 ideas

Default Series 10 ideas

Now I know we went over this sometime last year but I have been doing a bit of digging lately.

IF we were to get a new series sometime before 2020 what would your choices be?

it would have to be a single and double seater from each side and try for something either missing or different.

My choices would be
    Anatra DS Anasal for a two seater and
    Sopwith Pup for my fighter on the one hand

and

LVG CV for my 2 seater
    LFG Roland D2 for my fighter

All were chosen for their stats already being on this board, and for something missing or needed.

Toss out your own ideas but keep in mind they have to be different and conform to the current release model. Also keep to 1 of each type for each side.

So many different ones.

I think it is time for an Italian 2-seater SAML 2 or Pomilio PE

The Sopwith Pup because I just bought 2 more.

H-B C.I the most produced 2 seater for the A-H

Albatros D.III 253 series rounded nose, Fokker D.II or Pfalz D.XII

Italian twoseater

&

Sopwith Pup

Don't have an idea what the other two planes would be.

Maybe a Phönix or Lohner twoseater for the Central Powers.

Have no idea for an Central Power fighter... A LGF Roland D fighter maybe.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

for central powers maybe a CP sea plane to compliment the macci like the
    Lohner l or Hansa b w29?
    and we haven't seen a 2-seater monoplane yet, how about about a junker CL1?

for entente maybe the bristol m1c and SPAD a2.

also i wouldn't mind seeing a return of the balloons.

I don't do seaplanes or Italian Front (yet!), so I'd want

BE2c
    Pup

LVG CV
    Pfalz XII
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post

BE2c
    Pup

LVG CV
    Pfalz XII
    Almost exactly the same!

Sopwith Pup, preferably including this one:
    Name:  Grandpa ickle poop.jpg
Views: 2097
Size:  69.3 KB
    Not least because it was quite possibly my grandfather's personal plane when he commanded 19th Wing in 1917/18.

BE2

Pfalz XII
    Junkers CL1

Tom

Entente Scouts- Sopwith Pup or Dolphin
    Entente Two Seater- FE2b, BE2c, Salmson 2-A2, or Armstrong Whitworth FK-8
    Central Powers Scout- Pfalz D.XII or Roland D.VI
    Central Powers Two Seater- LVG C.VI, Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 or W.29, or DFW C.V

As we're going over it again, I'd like to see a Sopwith Dolphin, Armstrong Whitworth FK-8, a Pfalz D.XII or Roland D.VIb, DFW C.V for a late war release; BE2c, Sopwith Pup, FE2b, Fokker D.III for an early war release.
    If they go for another four scout release: Sopwith Dolphin, Sopwith Pup, a Pfalz D.XII & Roland D.VIb.

"He is wise who watches"

We need more early war planes!

I thought Andre already said a couple of the planes on the next release over at BGG? The Pup is one of them. I'll see if I can find the post.

I wish you luck with the search - now I'm curious.

HMMM...so am I

Lots of replies very quickly , so it seems there is interest in new airframes...Keep em coming.

I noticed that Pup is a hands down favorite though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I thought Andre already said a couple of the planes on the next release over at BGG? The Pup is one of them. I'll see if I can find the post.
    He posted "Sopwith Pup and Pfalz D.XII are the main candidates."

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    He posted "Sopwith Pup and Pfalz D.XII are the main candidates."
    Thanks, I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Thanks, I can't find it.

We need FE2b's they were used in the early war as fighters and later as day bombers then night bombers.

Central Powers:
    2-Seater: DFW C-V
    1-seater: LFG Roland D-II

Entente:
    2-Seater: either F E 2b or B E 2c (favoritism towards the former)
    1-seater: Sopwith Pup

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    We need FE2b's they were used in the early war as fighters and later as day bombers then night bombers.
    Agree. Entente fighter needs to be Pup. Entente bomber needs to FE2 or BE2. I can't think of any more important a/c at this time. (If a CP bomber isn't essential then I'd love both bombers).

Smile

Sopwith Pub, FE 2b & BE 2c for Allied
    Fokker D.II or III, Pfalz D.XII & a LVG German 2 seater or an Italian 2 seater.

I think that you have all covered the ground pretty thoroughly except that some of our French friends might like to see some early French machines like a Caudron or a Voisin.

Our choices are sort of locked as we have to have two from each side.

I picked mostly later aircraft, but also would like to see FE 2's, Be 2's, Alb c and D V's, Breguet BR14 A2, Saml S2, S. Schuckert DI's and the like as most have cards already in WoW. Same with the missing large bombers we got cards for in Flight of Giants. So many airframes were never covered in the new mini only version when the company went down. Maybe a Bloody April pack with the missing airframes, heavy paper map of the historical area. and small scenerio book of historical missions of the time. AH's Richthofens war had something along those lines in the game. It has been out of print so long that reworking the Historical battle into a campaign for WoG should not be an issue. Heck, I am gonna pull my copy out of the closet and see if I can cobble something up for the hobby store myself I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    some of our French friends might like to see some early French machines like a Caudron or a Voisin.
    That is so right. And these planes have been used also by other allied nations.
    But Caudron and Voisin are larger planes than usual two seaters such as BE2, Breguet 14, RE8, DH4.
    They would not be included in a regular serie with fighters.

Anyway, not sure that Ares would release 6 English planes (3 Pup, 3 BE2) in a single serie.

Being an Early War fanatic, I'd like to see the following"

Sopwith Pup
    BE 2 or FE 2
    Fokker d.iii
    Hansa Brandenberg c.i

I'd LOVE to see an early French or Italian 2-seater but, since we're bound by equal numbers of contenders, I feel either the BE 2 and FE 2 should take precedence.

If and when they do produced a Pup, I hope that they refrain from issuing any "training" aircraft or comic color schemes and stick to the actual fighting squadron versions.

Eastern front planes would work for me too.

We have the Bristol F2 and 2 German CLs.
    If not an Italian 2-seater a Spad XI would do nicely. Around 1,000 were built and used by the French, Belgians and Americans.
    This would give the French their third 2-seater and both the Belgians and Americans their second.

I CAN'T WAIT! Oh yeh, I am still waiting for Series 3 reprints.

Problem is, Series 3 , 4, and 5 had so many iconic airframes you just can not find now. SE5a, Alb D3, DH 2, Rumpler C.IV C, Breguet BR.14 B2 to name a few. Problem with the prints is they are not in constant production. They one off em then they are gone, not allowing stores to constantly carry their line. This more then anything else restricts game expansion and hobby stores buying in to the game. (yeh, a lot of the early stuff was WoW but try finding series one reprints)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post

BE2c
    Pup

LVG CV
    Pfalz XII
    I'm with Tim on this one.
    They need to produce planes that were actually used in large numbers (i.e. that people have heard of)
    Save the little-known ones for Shapeways.

For an Entente 2 seater, the French and USA heavily used the Salmson 2A2.(~3200 made) (The rare plane with self sealing fuel tanks)
    CP 2 seater, DFW C.V.(3250) (It was out sooner than the LVG, and the LVG was a copy as the designer was lured from DFW to LVG)

Scouts, Pup(1700+) and Pfalz XII(~800)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post
    If and when they do produced a Pup, I hope that they refrain from issuing any "training" aircraft or comic color schemes and stick to the actual fighting squadron versions.
    That'll be the tricky part, since both Nexus with Wings of War and Ares with Wings of Glory have tended to gravitate toward colorful schemes for their models, leading to releases of photo recon (and actually unarmed) Spitfires, Atlantic ASW Dauntlesses, etc. In this case, there are a good number of reasonably colorful RNAS and even RFC Pup schemes to choose from, so hopefully aircraft that may have been eye-catching but saw limited or no operational use won't appear.

Italian twoseater
    Sopwith Pup
    Pfalz XII
    LFG Roland D.VI

Don't have an idea what the other two planes would be.

Maybe a Phönix or Lohner twoseater for the Central Powers.

Have no idea for an Central Power fighter... A LGF Roland D fighter maybe. [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylH View Post
    That'll be the tricky part, since both Nexus with Wings of War and Ares with Wings of Glory have tended to gravitate toward colorful schemes for their models, leading to releases of photo recon (and actually unarmed) Spitfires, Atlantic ASW Dauntlesses, etc. In this case, there are a good number of reasonably colorful RNAS and even RFC Pup schemes to choose from, so hopefully aircraft that may have been eye-catching but saw limited or no operational use won't appear.
    Looking back at the Nexus and Ares WGF releases in particular what strikes me is the degree to which releases have clearly been targeted at a wide range of audiences with an arguably ahistorical but financially sensible bias towards certain markets. An obvious example would be the SE5A releases of Boudwin and Dallas, which clearly put marketing priorities well ahead of the historical aspects of the game. Were Nexus/Ares more interested in producing models that represented the most significant individuals flying those planes then you would expect to have seen James McCudden, Mick Mannock & George McElroy perhaps. Equally a more faithful representation of aerial warfare in WWI would demand a BE2c. However, flying a BE2c in the game is a distinctly acquired taste.

In short while we all have our favourites Ares' release policy is going to be determined by where they think they can sell the most models. The fact that I would love to see the R.A.F. B.E.12 which my grandfather flew in 1916 is utterly immaterial to those financial concerns, not least because (in addition to being a challenge to have a fun game with A B.E.12) there would be almost no demand for that plane from the US, Canadian, Australian, Italian & German markets for example and even for the UK it would be a distinctly niche model. This probably explains why the Sopwith Pup has yet to be produced - namely its very limited recognition factor outside primarily the UK market & to a lesser degree the Commonwealth markets.

And finally, eye-candy sells - players generally want bright colourful and eye-catching models. It appeals to our inner child and also the degree of individuality it implies. In the case of the Sopwith Pup I hope they produce three frontline RNAS and RFC versions as there's nothing to stop me repainting one as the No.19 Wing's 'Wasp' should I so wish (& have the ability) to do so nor anyone else repainting them as Imperial Russian Service planes should they wish to as well.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    Looking back at the Nexus and Ares WGF releases in particular what strikes me is the degree to which releases have clearly been targeted at a wide range of audiences with an arguably ahistorical but financially sensible bias towards certain markets. An obvious example would be the SE5A releases of Boudwin and Dallas, which clearly put marketing priorities well ahead of the historical aspects of the game. Were Nexus/Ares more interested in producing models that represented the most significant individuals flying those planes then you would expect to have seen James McCudden, Mick Mannock & George McElroy perhaps. Equally a more faithful representation of aerial warfare in WWI would demand a BE2c. However, flying a BE2c in the game is a distinctly acquired taste.

In short while we all have our favourites Ares' release policy is going to be determined by where they think they can sell the most models. The fact that I would love to see the R.A.F. B.E.12 which my grandfather flew in 1916 is utterly immaterial to those financial concerns, not least because (in addition to being a challenge to have a fun game with A B.E.12) there would be almost no demand for that plane from the US, Canadian, Australian, Italian & German markets for example and even for the UK it would be a distinctly niche model. This probably explains why the Sopwith Pup has yet to be produced - namely its very limited recognition factor outside primarily the UK market & to a lesser degree the Commonwealth markets.

And finally, eye-candy sells - players generally want bright colourful and eye-catching models. It appeals to our inner child and also the degree of individuality it implies. In the case of the Sopwith Pup I hope they produce three frontline RNAS and RFC versions as there's nothing to stop me repainting one as the No.19 Wing's 'Wasp' should I so wish (& have the ability) to do so nor anyone else repainting them as Imperial Russian Service planes should they wish to as well.

Tom
    I have no problem with repainting Nexus or Ares models, Tom--all of mine get at least a coat of clear flat even if there are no other modifications made, and they often are--but not everyone here on the forums feels that way; witness the furor over the touch up the BoB releases require. I'm not convinced that either Nexus or Ares based or bases their choice of models to release primarily on marketing, since, for example, a Bf-109F or G would have almost certainly have sold better than a Bf-109K. Nor do they seem to have had an issue with 'niche' models, since the Macchi M.5 and Phonix D.I (among others) would certainly qualify as such. I do have to admit that to a large degree, eye candy does sell, although that approach seems to work far more often for WGF than WGS. Which is probably very fortunate, or we might have to contend with a formation ship being one of the versions if and when the B-24 is released .

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    (snip) This probably explains why the Sopwith Pup has yet to be produced - namely its very limited recognition factor outside primarily the UK market & to a lesser degree the Commonwealth markets.

And finally, eye-candy sells - players generally want bright colourful and eye-catching models. It appeals to our inner child and also the degree of individuality it implies.
    I don't disagree with the main assertion here-eye-catching models not only appeal to the inner child, as you assert, but again, in a game context, having easily distinguished models helps everyone track their planes, and their opponents planes in a game.

But I think I have to disagree about the Pup being limited recognition-I think it would appeal to nearly any afficionado of World War One aviation. Further, I think most players of the game fall into that category.

I also cannot concur with the Pup being "limited recognition" -- the main problem it faced was how quickly it was outclassed by German D-types, so that at its peak it only equipped a total of seven squadrons (four RNAS, three RFC). Users, including post-war, covered pretty-much everyone on the winning side, except France.

Not being the WWI aviation fan as some of you, I could say in my experience i rarely ever heard of the Pup. I only knew about it because of WWI reading. Most of the people I know knew of the Camel and Dr.1

How often did you hear of the Nieuport 11?

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    How often did you hear of the Nieuport 11?
    I never heard of it until I got this game. A friend of mine I used to game with loved the Nieuport 17 and he wanted to build one in his garage. So I heard about that. I played a few PC WWI games several years ago, Red Baron and such. I remember some being awesome games. But that was years ago, and I hardly remember any beyond the most common. Nieuport, Albatros, Fokker and Camel. Outside of specifically playing a WWI aerial PC games, the only WWI aerial exposure most people have are movies. And even those not everyone plays specifically WWI aerial PC Games.
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 05-04-2017 at 05:40.

Sopwith Pups do not have to be drab.

Name:  pheon32013reviewjf_3.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  39.8 KBName:  pheon48001reviewjf_1.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  63.5 KBName:  d9c4277a211301e9f6cc6cb002a9a49c.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  18.7 KBName:  9_17.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  79.4 KBName:  0897560.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  84.2 KB

The Sopwith Pup training planes could be very colourful.

Name:  2hfv3vl.jpg
Views: 3241
Size:  168.9 KB

One company called Ares already produce a Sopwith Pup model.

Name:  asptitle.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  92.5 KB

Thumbs up

Great collection of Colour Schemes David.
    Looking forward to Ares release of some Pups (& those reprinted SE 5a's )

So, did a quick off the cuff tally and these are the top runners so far with 5 or more votes

Sopwith Pup x 17
    BE 2C x 11
    FE2B x 8

Pfalz D12 x 9
    LVG CV x5 PLUS DFW CV x4
    LFG Roland D2 x 5

Other planes of interest (3 or more votes ) in random order
    Saml 2
    Lohner
    Fok DIII

Keep em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Sopwith Pups do not have to be drab.

The Sopwith Pup training planes could be very colourful.

Name:  2hfv3vl.jpg
Views: 3241
Size:  168.9 KB

Link to card: OldGuy59's WWI Entente Oddities Album - Training Pup
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Suits me sir. Suits me.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    So, did a quick off the cuff tally and these are the top runners so far with 5 or more votes

Sopwith Pup x 17
    BE 2C x 11
    FE2B x 8

Pfalz D12 x 9
    LVG CV x5 PLUS DFW CV x4
    LFG Roland D2 x 5

Saml 2
    Lohner
    Fok DIII
    So, we might have in the next serie
    either a Pup,
    Or a BE2 / BE12
    Or a FE2b

Ares won't include three Top seller in a same serie.
    Neither three English planes.

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    Being an Early War fanatic, I'd like to see the following"

Sopwith Pup
    BE 2 or FE 2
    Fokker d.iii
    Hansa Brandenberg c.i

I'd LOVE to see an early French or Italian 2-seater but, since we're bound by equal numbers of contenders, I feel either the BE 2 and FE 2 should take precedence.
    I am in for this set!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post

Sopwith Pup x 17
    BE 2C x 11
    FE2B x 8

Pfalz D12 x 9
    LVG CV x5 PLUS DFW CV x4
    LFG Roland D2 x 5

Saml 2
    Lohner
    Fok DIII

Keep em coming.
    Thanks, Ken

Pup and Pfalz D.XII seems to be sure. That sounds great to me.

For the two-seaters I would prefer any of the italians - Pomilio or SAML.

And Hansa-Brandenburg C.I would bet he best for me.
    For these airplane there are some A-H aces with the origins in the Czech part of the empire (Heyrowsky, Arigi, Dumbrowski, Friedrich, Kostrba, Novak).

Quote Originally Posted by Kubajs View Post

And Hansa-Brandenburg C.I would bet he best for me...
    Good proposal, Kubajs.

This one looks great with the A-H cammouflage.

Very intersting is the machine gun pod on the top wing!

Optional they could produce a version with only one rear gun. That would be a plane that has to concentrate on flying and recon, not to chase other planes.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 05-11-2017 at 00:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Kubajs View Post
    For these airplane there are some A-H aces with the origins in the Czech part of the empire (Heyrowsky, Arigi, Dumbrowski, Friedrich, Kostrba, Novak).
    Would be nice to see some Bohemian WW I aces!

Here is a Hansa Brandeburg C.I without top wing gunpod:
    Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. RAP 2.0. Any ideas?
    By Nightbomber in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 09-11-2015, 04:01
  2. UK visit - Any ideas?
    By Slexlaw in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16