Ares Games

Thread: What's the Next Big Milestone of the Air War in WW1?

Default What's the Next Big Milestone of the Air War in WW1?

Having failed yet again to complete my minis in time for an anniversary (of "Bloody April" this time), I'm looking ahead, in the hope of working out which planes I need to prioritise to have a chance of having them complete in time to mark the upcoming event.

What 'event' should I prepare for, and which planes should I prioritise?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

The Armistice? Take all your CP minis, put them in a pile, soak in lighter fluid, and apply a flame.... ;)

The next big ones were Third Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele) followed by the Battle of Cambrai.
    the French were in a holding pattern following the mutinies caused by Nivelle's Offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The Armistice? Take all your CP minis, put them in a pile, soak in lighter fluid, and apply a flame....
    Yeh, and most of the Entente ones too. Most of the rest of those can go for sale at pennies for the dollar
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I'm happy to pay you pennies on the dollar (maybe even dimes!!!) for any planes you feel a need to rid yourself of, Tim... DON'T torch them, please!! I'll even pay shipping to the Colonies!

You could always set yourself the goal of Kaiserschlacht for early-ish 2018...

Always the best,
    Matt

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I'm happy to pay you pennies on the dollar (maybe even dimes!!!) for any planes you feel a need to rid yourself of, Tim... DON'T torch them, please!! I'll even pay shipping to the Colonies!

You could always set yourself the goal of Kaiserschlacht for early-ish 2018...

Always the best,
    Matt

"Kaiserschlacht for early-ish 2018" - that's a good idea. Almost a year away; should be enough time to get myself organised!

If there's no specific air war centenary, I'll just continue to try to catch up on failed projects.

Karl, Matt, thanks for the suggestions.

This is the one I plan on being ready for. I'm now working on some LVG C.Vs, AEG J.Is and Albatros J.Is for ground attack missions.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The Armistice? Take all your CP minis, put them in a pile, soak in lighter fluid, and apply a flame....

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

remember the terms of the treaty of versailles specifically detail that ALL fokker dVIIs be turned over to ME for proper, uumm "disposition"!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    This is the one I plan on being ready for. I'm now working on some LVG C.Vs, AEG J.Is and Albatros J.Is for ground attack missions.
    Yes! - have some of those myself, currently near the back of the queue.
    Might need to promote them; thanks for the suggestion.

Remember with Third Yrpes and Cambria, we have trench strafing Camels, and Halberstadt CL.IIs.
    Karl'
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

In the Summer of 1917 the Entente started to receive new fighter planes: the S.E.5a, the Sopwith Camel and the SPAD XIII.

Tim,

I'd go for the battle of Cambrai (20 Nov - 7 Dec 1917). Lots of ground support for the tanks flown & heavy involvement from the likes of Nos 3 & 46 (Camels - see Arthur Gould Lee); Nos 64 & 68 - the latter an Australian Flying Corps squadron (DH5s) and No. 84 Squadron (Sholto Douglas in SE5As).* It's well documented, so plenty of good material for scenarios. The RFC, in particular, was assigned the role of suppressing German anti-tank artillery both through artillery spotting and ground attacks. Manfred von Richthofen's Jagdgeschwader 1 was also present with the Baron scoring two kills (DH5 - 23 Nov 1917 near Bourlon Wood and an SE5A near Moeuvres on 30 Nov 1917) both in his Albatros D.V. The weather seems to have been good enough for low level missions, especially the first week of December when the Germans counterattacked using nascent Stosstruppen (or Hutier) tactics. And the German counterattack was also accompanied by large scale ground strafing operations by the Luftstreitkräfte. So a good prelude/rehearsal for the cataclysmic battles of March/April 1918.

Tom

* III Brigade were also supported by recce and bomber squadrons from I Brigade & 9th (HQ) Wing
    Last edited by Conall; 04-28-2017 at 06:43. Reason: added detail & the right squadron numbers for III Brigade RFC

Similar Missions

1. Crossing one more milestone
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 11:16
  2. Another milestone
    By Flying Helmut in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-09-2016, 01:08
  3. A new milestone for the U.K. Squadrons.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 16:45
  4. Another milestone reached right now
    By Dan-Sam in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-21-2013, 18:05
  5. A milestone reached!
    By Max Headroom in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 19:31