Ares Games

Thread: Racing for base

Default Racing for base

This AAR is different to others I have written because I am not trying to give you a running description of all the action of the scenario. Rather it is an illustrated evaluation of the scenario.

SCENARIO
    Due to cloud cover, a Fokker E.III and a Halberstadt D.II have gone off course. When the cloud clears, they discover they are behind Entente lines with Entente planes between them and their base.
    They need to reverse direction to get back to base, evading the DH2 and Nieuport 17 on the way.
    Set up: 3 mats with countryside map in the centre. German planes are just off the countryside map facing the end of the table. The Entente planes are just off the other edge of the countryside map facing in the same direction as the German planes.

Winning Conditions: Central planes get to base, the end of mat. Entente planes bring down both Central planes or drive them off the playing surface.

AAR
    As the German planes wheeled around to head towards base, the Entente planes headed straight towards them. They both had one opportunity for close in firing. Fortunately for the DH2 it set the Fokker on fire. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1385 (800x600) Gm1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	221808
    On passing, the Entente planes now had to reverse direction to catch the Germans. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1387 (800x600).jpg 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	221809 They never did get within range again, and so we finished the game before the German planes got right to the end of the table. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1388 (800x600).jpg 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	221810
    (Out of curiosity, Baxter looked to see what the next A damage card would have been for the Fokker because of the fire. The Fokker would have been downed!!!!)

This game took such a short time that we decided to try it again, reversing the roles – the DH2 and Nieuport trying to get back to base past the Fokker and Halberstadt.

The Halberstadt pilot, a visitor, James, playing his first game, took the same approach as the Entente pilots in the first game. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1390 (800x600).jpg 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	221811
    However the Fokker pilot waited for the approach of the Entente planes and then attacked from the side, and swung in behind. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1391 (800x600).jpg 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	221812
    This allowed for multiple shots on the DH2, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1393 (800x600).jpg 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	221813 as can be seen by the number of +1 damage markers in its final damage tally. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1395 (800x600).jpg 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	221814
    The Nieuport managed to just keep out of range of the Fokker, which ended up with no damage. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1396 (800x600).jpg 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	221815

Good report! Rep.

I've run these 2 vs. 2 scenarios myself, with one pair having to reach an objective. I tend to find them fairly unsatisfying, in that there is not much room for reversals. It seems that the side headed to the objective need a plane or two more, since they aren't often shooting, and the speeds of the planes need to vary.

This is the problem with machines with matching speeds, you have to be very positive with your manoeuvres or you will never catch up with them. Planning your reverse as they pass is the ideal in that situation; as you found if you get on them they will not get away from you without manoeuvring positively themselves. The Nieuport will slowly overhaul or out run the others as it's slightly quicker.
    The alternative is to change the set up so that the escape is cut off by the enemy appearing from the side(s), as demonstrated by your Fokker pilot, which gives both sides options to make/avoid contact.
    Sometimes it's best to engage the interceptor and then look for an opening to slip away.
    Two good demo games there Doug.

"He is wise who watches"

Kamikaze attack from dead ahead might have worked also but not in the spirit of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Muerto View Post
    Good report! Rep.

I've run these 2 vs. 2 scenarios myself, with one pair having to reach an objective. I tend to find them fairly unsatisfying, in that there is not much room for reversals. It seems that the side headed to the objective need a plane or two more, since they aren't often shooting, and the speeds of the planes need to vary.
    I meant to say more by way of evaluation in my report, but got so busy making sure the photographs were intelligible that I forgot.
    I agree with your assessment - the first game was a fairly unsatisfying one. After the initial contact, nothing happened of interest. The second game was more fun, especially for the Fokker pilot. Like flash said in his post, a different starting set up might have been better.
    We all learn by sharing our mistakes or disappointments, as well as our successes.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Kamikaze attack from dead ahead might have worked also but not in the spirit of the game.
    This was a WWI scenario, not war in the Pacific.

Similar Missions

1. DC-3 Racing
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-04-2016, 19:51
  2. Air Racing Dreamscapes
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2016, 15:14
  3. Measuring Range: base-to-base or stand-to-base?
    By ColoradoCoppens in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 23:51
  4. 1/72 size base
    By Flo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-17-2014, 07:18
  5. Just for fun a new twist... pylon racing
    By Pakratt in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 15:35