Ares Games

Thread: WWI Squadron packs?

Default WWI Squadron packs?

I might be a lonely voice here but if I have the choice of having a fully finished stuka vs a generic one where you apply your decals then I will pick the fully finished version every time. I can see the marketing value in producing just one of each model and getting the buyers to finish them with supplied decals (that means a series of 4 not 12) but I am not a modeler and do not do that comfortably. I can see if this goes WWI then it could be applied to the RFC planes perhaps with their penchant for no personal decorations, but it would be way beyond my capabilities if they released Albatri or DR1's as do it yourself models. Anyone else agree with me?

I rather do, my elves would differ, but they do not get to vote, my shop is not a democracy, but rather a benevolent dictatorship led by Mrs Clipper!
    Modelers are modelers they can do wonders with anything at any time, the majority if players are not and would be scared off if they were required to do any modeling to field a game. Many fall into the both camps, but I rather like things the way they are where we can modify as we wish, but others can buy and play. Now that we have a number of good decal sources and the minis to repaint, I think the world can finally take time to enjoy the fun!

Personally I would love to see WW1 squadron packs combine with markings for other nations the used the type of plane in question.

i don't expect we will see ww1 squadron packs like that.
    it mainly seems to make sense for having larger groups of planes that are very similar but still
    historically accurate n stuff where it doesn't make sense to make 4 more nearly identical planes and release them separately.

ww1 planes come in such wildly varying paint schemes n stuff that there is no reason to not produce entirely new variations
    of a model.
    like if they came out with 3 more DR.I planes in completely new paint schemes they would sell way better then a pack with identical
    ones with some decals.
    though i wouldn't mind seeing them combined in a single pack.

I can see where squadron packs would be good for some. I don't model so I prefer finished models.
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 04-24-2017 at 04:52.

I am a squadron pack convert. I used to buy two of each WW2 miniatures but now..... well let's just say don't tell Mrs Brisgamer I have almost a full Gruppe of Messerschmitt 109s.

But I can understand it is not for everyone. How about a compromise - two completely finished miniatures then one generic version with a decal pack?

It is a nice thought but the different colour schemes would make it very difficult. It might be possible with some Entente squadrons but the Central Powers squadrons would be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I am a squadron pack convert. I used to buy two of each WW2 miniatures but now..... well let's just say don't tell Mrs Brisgamer I have almost a full Gruppe of Messerschmitt 109s.

But I can understand it is not for everyone. How about a compromise - two completely finished miniatures then one generic version with a decal pack?

i like that idea as generally i prefer open and play. occasionally, when i feel up to it, i like to do a repaint or redecal. but when its not working out, it gets frustrating, and i wouldnt want to have to go through that with every new issue.

To keep sales high, and satisfy the majority of gamers, I think keeping to the current system of three different complete schemes is best.

I fully accept that I am in a minority, a very small minority at that, with my penchant for repainting minis to produce entire flights or squadrons of WW1 kites.

I don't mind, though - it just makes my games visually different to those of the majority, and since I mostly play participation games, lots of folks can get to try the squadron experience if they want to.

As "Syndrome" said in "The Incredibles" - <<When everyone is "Super", then no one will be............!>>
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post

Gotta say I LIKE your idea ... at least for the Entente forces. I'm typically a re-painter but very often I'm trying to create a more consistent look in my Entente planes.
    Your solution would help differentiate the sides and keep the "Circus" kaleidoscope alive on the Central Powers side.

I would like to see squadron pack where you would apply a decal because I'm a mega collector.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

My view has always been that for each release the models are thus:

1) A famous ace
    2) A very colourful scheme
    3) Bog standard factory finish

'3' should help save costs that '2' might eat up.

'1' may also be very colourful.

'3' Could come with decals but it appeals to the repainters and some of us buy ten plus of a type to repaint and therefore it may be that the 'boring' model sells well. The bog standard scheme can still be used as is. I have two Dva repainted in factory finish that I can add to bulk out units as new planes arrived and as yet to be painted in squadron colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    I have two Dva repainted in factory finish that I can add to bulk out units as new planes arrived and as yet to be painted in squadron colours.
    I have "factory finish" Fokker DVIIs doing the same job.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Battle of Britain Squadron Packs - Hurricane, Spitfire, Bf109E and Ju87 Stuka
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 03-07-2018, 10:06
  2. National: BoB Squadron Packs
    By Setarius in forum US Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-21-2017, 11:21
  3. Replies: 64
    Last Post: 04-14-2017, 13:03
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-03-2017, 04:27
  5. Wish list - squadron packs