Ares Games

Thread: Nieuport 17 vs Dr.1

Default Nieuport 17 vs Dr.1

Rather than hi-jack this thread, I'll start a new one...

I wasn't aware that the Nieuport 17 and the Dr.1 never flew against each other (they fly against each other in my solo battles often ). Their dates of use overlap by about 5 months according to my records, were they just never at the same front or in the same area? I'm interested is some more detail from the experts here...

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post

I wasn't aware that the Nieuport 17 and the Dr.1 never flew against each other (they fly against each other in my solo battles often ). Their dates of use overlap by about 5 months according to my records, were they just never at the same front or in the same area? I'm interested is some more detail from the experts here...

Since I'm the one that made that claim I might as well defend it, though I probably am not going to give you the definitive answer you may be seeking (despite sounding pretty definitive with my claim in the other thread).

I'm at work, so looking at internet sources, it seems the British might've flown the Nieuport 17 up to very early 1918. That nominally overlaps with the Fokker's operational history but remember that the Fokker wasn't delivered to JG1 in real number until early 1918 itself. Considering that the weather limited flying in much capacity until March or so, it's very unlikely the Fokker and Nieuport would've met. In the film the timeline is not specified, but the battles take place during the spring/summer/fall, and the Fokker wasn't around in spring/summer/fall 1917 (excepting the two prototypes flown by von Richthofen, Voss, and Wolff) and the Nieuport wasn't around in spring/summer of 1918. The Fokker was basically obsolete by May or June 1918, and with the exception of Josef Jacobs, was basically abandoned by frontline units as soon as the Fokker D.VII became available.

Like I said, not definitive, but that's my understanding, roughly.

The overlap of 5 months may simply be down to the 2 Fok F.1 being in circulation from Aug 17; Fokker started delivering the Dr1 in Oct 17, it was withdrawn Nov 17 to sort the wing issues out, then back in Dec 17. By this time the majority of N.17 had been replaced or withdrawn and seems they were all gone by early 18, so the chances of them meeting were slim to start with.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Just what I was looking for - thanks guys.

Also the first Jastas that received the Dr.I where facing the British. When the Jastas facing the French received a secondhand Dr.Is in the warmer months the N17 was delegated to the training units. The Dr.Is engines had a hard time in the summer due the poor Castol oil used and the heat just made it worse.

The Jastas facing the British generally received the newest and best aircraft first because the Brits were always so stubbornly aggressive.

With an attitude sooner or later your fist is going to break when I hit it with my face. The fist better wear the best glove available. (in jest)

The French wanted to make the Spad their standard fighter replacing all Nieuports but, for various reasons could not make enough of them. So, Nieuport continued to make the N23/24/27.
    Last edited by john snelling; 05-16-2017 at 16:20.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

I believe we are referring to the movie Fly Boys.
    I would concur that it is most unlikely that the Nieuport 17 and the Fokker Dr1 ever clashed and certainly never clashed in the numbers shown in the movie.
    Given that only 300 Dr1s were ever made and they were out of service for a couple of months in late '17 due to wing modifications, the only way the Nieuport might have staggered on into 1918 was if this fictional American squadron was being given old or sub-standard French aircraft in much the same way as the real AEF was palmed off with Nieuport 28s before they could get SPAD XIIIs.

One also has to remember that the French air force as a whole was moving over to SPAD machines during this period.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post

Brian,
    I did up this thread because I wanted to be able to put together historically accurate pairings of planes. It might help you, too.

General Overview of WWI Miniatures - Timeline and Theaters 2016 (The 'Year' indicates the latest update, BTW)
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. Nieuport 11s
    By STL06 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 08:47
  2. Converting a Nieuport 16 to a Nieuport 11
    By Baldrick62 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 04:05
  3. Nieuport 28
    By Burt in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 10