Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battle of Britain Spitfire, Hurricane and Bf.109 Squadron Packs - finished w/ decals

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The elves were wondering if anyone has matching Vallejo paint numbers for the Spits and Hurries? Not sure why, they are supposed to be soo busy . . .
    Vallejo US Field Drab (70.873) for Dark Earth and US Dark Green (70.893) for Dark Green match up very well for both Nexus and Ares models; Sky is more problematic, since almost any Sky Type S model paints available are going to be more grey-green than the cream color on these miniatures. Through trial and error, I've found that the Insignia White (AO49) included in the Hataka Paints Coastal Command/Fleet Air Arm set will work, at least for minor touch ups.

The elves were wondering if anyone has matching Vallejo paint numbers for the Spits and Hurries? Not sure why, they are supposed to be soo busy . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylH View Post
    Vallejo US Field Drab (70.873) for Dark Earth and US Dark Green (70.893) for Dark Green match up very well for both Nexus and Ares models; Sky is more problematic, since almost any Sky Type S model paints available are going to be more grey-green than the cream color on these miniatures. Through trial and error, I've found that the Insignia White (AO49) included in the Hataka Paints Coastal Command/Fleet Air Arm set will work, at least for minor touch ups.
    www.fightercontrol.co.uk - VALLEJO Colour matches for RAF / RN Colours
    Dark Earth (X2) - V921 English Uniform.....OR V873 U.S. Field Drab. Both close matches
    Dark Green (X1) - V95 U.S. Dark Green
    Sky (X7) - V885 Pastel
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    www.fightercontrol.co.uk - VALLEJO Colour matches for RAF / RN Colours
    Dark Earth (X2) - V921 English Uniform.....OR V873 U.S. Field Drab. Both close matches
    Dark Green (X1) - V95 U.S. Dark Green
    Sky (X7) - V885 Pastel
    Those are the Dark Earth and Dark Green equivalent colors I mentioned, but sadly, Mike, Vallejo Pastel is too grey-green to match up with the color used for Sky on Ares or Nexus miniatures--it was the first choice I used for touching up the underside of a Hurricane wingtip, and while wet it looked close, but when it dried the difference was much too noticeable.

I ended up using Tamiya "Sky" for my Nexus Hurries, but ended up painting the entire underwing surface (since they were Belgian van Den Hove minis with a black underwing surface) rather than touch up, so I can't comment on how closely it matches.

I don't like using Tamiya paint, because it "streaks" too noticeably, but Vallejo don't do anything close to 'Sky'.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks all, the elves left a message on the counter saying they went out shopping this morning for paint and donuts . . .

Thanks all, the elves left a message on the counter saying they went out shopping this morning for paint and donuts . . .
    Two ways to get sticky fingers............................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    And now I am picturing a parody: "_Wings Of Glory: Gran Chaco War Starter Set_"....

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    And now I am picturing a parody: "_Wings Of Glory: Gran Chaco War Starter Set_"....
    Wrong forum Chris, with the speed and armament of the aircraft involved in that war it would fall under WGF rules. Only the faster fighters like the Fiat CR.20 and the Curtiss Hawk II would need 'extender' cards.

The good news is with so few aircraft involved you could pretty much field the entire order of battle for both sides at minimal effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    The good news is with so few aircraft involved you could pretty much field the entire order of battle for both sides at minimal effort.
    Hell, one could fit the entire air forces of both sides in a box.... :)

Now we'd need a few more BoB bombers. Working on that...

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    Happy to report that I've really come around on that score. Once I started thinking about how the 1-card-per-turn planning was in fact exactly the same "workload" as X-Wing - a game I've played loads - it seemed to help "let go" my need to compare WGF and WGS and just enjoy the WWII version for what it is. And it's quite good! Fast, brutal, a bit more tense - and quite fun!
    Thanks a lot for your appreciation!

Well, if you think at the available range of maneuvres available - straights, 45° turns, 90° turns and the (totally out of setting for Star Wars) Immelman maneuvre, you see that WW2 Wings of War/Glory is exactly the model FFG used for X-Wing's movement system. If it was WW1, it would most probably have used 60° turns instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    I can live with that thought Adrea.
    Thanks again for all the work put in over the years.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Some side-by-side photos of the new Hurricane vs the old, triggered by comparisons some have made between the two releases.

To my eye, these look like the exact same underlying miniature, though they are finished to different standards. There are things that are bad about the new ones - the upper edges of the wing and vertical stabilizer, as well as the bombs (which are cut off of my planes) - but there are bad things about the old one, too (the much larger gap between wing and fuselage at the fillet).

Overall, my son and I agree that the color scheme of the new plane, being lighter, and the decals, being a grey as opposed to white, give the plane a nicer presence on the table. I also quite prefer my own decal application for the squadron markings versus the ones from the factory, as I feel I was able to get them "just how I wanted them" whereas with the ones from the factory, you get what you get - and even back in Nexus days, they were not necessarily perfect.

In any event, pictures are worth a thousand words, so I'll stop typing now.

Attachment 221127

Attachment 221128

Attachment 221129

Attachment 221130

Attachment 221131

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post

Thanks a lot for your appreciation!

Well, if you think at the available range of maneuvres available - straights, 45° turns, 90° turns and the (totally out of setting for Star Wars) Immelman maneuvre, you see that WW2 Wings of War/Glory is exactly the model FFG used for X-Wing's movement system. If it was WW1, it would most probably have used 60° turns instead.

how about some do 17s and ju 88s!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    how about some do 17s and ju 88s!
    I have some AIM and Skytrex, but official versions would be most welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luftwaffe Kampfgeschwader.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	221135

I have 3 AIM Ju 88's I am working on. Have to finish with decals and will post the photos. They will be an addition to the He 111's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Battle of Britain Squadron Packs - Hurricane, Spitfire, Bf109E and Ju87 Stuka
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 03-07-2018, 10:06
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-03-2017, 04:27
  3. Battle of France & Battle of Britain Hurricane squadrons
    By miscmini in forum United Kingdom
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-15-2017, 15:38
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 12:44
  5. Replies: 5