Ares Games

Thread: Battle of Britian curiosity question

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Cool Battle of Britian curiosity question

Just opened my boxed set today. The planes look good and my 3 yr old already wants us to play with them. My only disappointment came when I saw it had 2 Spits and 2 109s instead of a Stuka and Hurricane. That disappointment will be remedied.

Question: Did the boxed sets all come with the same two pilots or were there different pilots randomly inserted in the boxes? I received Spitfire pilots Aubrey Baker and Douglas Corfe. The planes are marked DWP and DWD, with Messerschmitt White 13 and Yellow 5.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Yeah, but I was hoping, Dave.
    I have 5 more Spitfires and 1 109 0n order, that was the best I could do at the time. I'm also going to be checking a couple of stores I know of to see what their availability of the other planes are.
    Had to restrain myself this morning while handling my planes. Had a friend wanting my help to move some furniture, and I knew if I kept it up I'd have my mats and planes out and ignoring the friend.

Set aside a few hours to apply decals as well Dale, the Squadron Packs look so much better on the table when they are finished.

I'm just curious to know when they'll reach me!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Miniature Market has slowed their process way down, here in the States. It used to be order after 5 on Monday, they process and ship on Tuesday, in my hands by lunch Wednesday. I'm only 165 miles away.
    Now it is order anytime Monday, they process order Wednesday, FedEx picks it up Friday. It travels from St. Louis, MO to Indianapolis, IN, where the US Postal Service gets involved and they send it to your local post office for delivery, up to 7 days after pick up. Oh yeah, this is their free shipping on orders over $99.00.
    So Tim, you will probably have yours before I get the rest of mine.
    Carl, I'm thinking of turning one into a Recon Bird, in oranges and pinks, and reds. I've also thought about creating a 3 plane squadron for Major Föhn. Just a thought on the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Just opened my boxed set today. The planes look good and my 3 yr old already wants us to play with them. My only disappointment came when I saw it had 2 Spits and 2 109s instead of a Stuka and Hurricane. That disappointment will be remedied...
    Why did you expect a Stuka and a Hurricane in the starter set?
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Just opened my boxed set today. The planes look good and my 3 yr old already wants us to play with them. My only disappointment came when I saw it had 2 Spits and 2 109s instead of a Stuka and Hurricane. That disappointment will be remedied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Why did you expect a Stuka and a Hurricane in the starter set?
    How did you miss this?

Wings of Glory Aerodrome - WGS Battle of Britain Update

Ares Games - WW2 Wings of Glory Battle of Britain Starter Set
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

It was more of a HOPE that they would be there and overlooking the fine print. I mean it IS a Battle of Britian starter set and both of those planes were used and could have been added to the set.
    A friend of mine was wanting to have the bombers in the set and I had to keep explaining to him why the bombers were an add on to a game about fighter combat.
    And OldGuy59 if you don't like what you have seen or heard about these miniatures because of "inaccuracies" in the product, you can send me what you ordered, I will gladly take them off your hands for free. That way you won't have to complain about how bad things are.

It was more of a HOPE that they would be there and overlooking the fine print. I mean it IS a Battle of Britian starter set and both of those planes were used and could have been added to the set.
    A friend of mine was wanting to have the bombers in the set and I had to keep explaining to him why the bombers were an add on to a game about fighter combat.
    And OldGuy59 if you don't like what you have seen or heard about these miniatures because of "inaccuracies" in the product, you can send me what you ordered, I will gladly take them off your hands for free. That way you won't have to complain about how bad things are.
    Although all previous sets were four different aircraft, the contents of this set was well publicized. I think the idea was primarily dogfighting, and ever since my second WWII game (due to advice on this Forum), I have always flown pairs of fighters. So, IMHO, it seems like Ares went with this philosophy.

As for pre-orders, I only ordered the starter set, as the appearance of the minis was darn good, and I wanted the new expanded Spitfire maneuver deck (added 60 degree turns). It seems like the only Canadian distributor of Wings of Glory product has not even stocked the starter sets, as no Canadian store (online, at least) is showing availability, nor a price, for them. My FLGS is not getting any feedback from inquiries about the pre-order, so I may not even get that. There won't be any Ares Crappycanes coming from me. But I have been considering dumping all my existing WWS II stuff, as my level of disgust is pretty extreme with where Ares quality control is taking their minis production. If I don't see, or hear of, something that indicates a better product in the future, there might be a bunch of Nexus minis of which I would be disposing. Sorry, but Canadians will be getting first dibs.

PS: I have checked two online gaming stores today, 30 March 2017, and neither are listing it as available, nor giving a price. Also, Universal Distribution, Inc has the squadron packs listed for ordering, and the pre-ordering of the latest WWI minis, but no sign of the Battle of Britain Starter Set. Very weird. If they aren't listing it on their site, it won't be available in any stores in Canada.

PPS: Found it! So there is hope for seeing some in stores in Canada:
    Universal Distribution - Wings of Glory: Battle of Britain Starter Set
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-30-2017 at 11:33.
    Mike

Dale I have ordered many times from Mini Market and usually have no problem but last time there was a delay for them to ship. I learned with the last order to get new orders from here. Mine came last week.

if you want my opinion, they should make a battle of britain set that includes the following:

Spitfire x2
    hurricane x2
    Boulton paul defiant x2
    BF-109E-3 x2
    Stuka x2
    Bf-110 x1
    HE-111 x1

although it would be EXTREMELY expensive, it would still be cool to see it as some sort of battle of britain gift set!
    probably never gonna happen, but you never know!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    PPS: Found it! So there is hope for seeing some in stores in Canada:
    Universal Distribution - Wings of Glory: Battle of Britain Starter Set

That's my son's place.

He worked for Francis at Imperial Hobbies for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    That's my son's place.

He worked for Francis at Imperial Hobbies for years.
    Pete!
    Your son is running the Universal Distribution shop? Could you do me a favour, and cuff him upside the head next time you see him? Or tell me where he is, and I'll do it.

I just got word that they didn't bother to order any Battle of Britain Starter Sets, despite a pre-order from my FLGS! Now that the FLGS owner has insisted they get one, it will take three weeks, or more, from the warehouse in Montreal to get to my store. Pretty crappy service, and the only place my FLGS can order from for Wings of Glory.

Not sure what is going on in Canada for Wings of Glory, but if this is the way the supposed "Only Ares Distributor in Canada" is acting, the game is nearly dead in this country, and not likely to be resuscitated in the near future.
    Mike

Mike

I know they sent all of their WoG stuff back to Montreal just before I got into this game in 2014.
    My son did manage to snag me one each of the Balloon sets at that time.
    I will pass on your message.

Similar Missions

1. The Battle of Britian?
    By clipper1801 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-19-2016, 05:35
  2. curiosity question about advisaries.
    By rote Flügel in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-10-2015, 11:46
  3. Site: 2014 Lend-Lease Raffle - Two - Battle of Britian Winner!!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 10:38
  4. The Untold Story of the Battle of Britian
    By chub in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 12:46
  5. Curiosity question, (Stupid one)
    By Adragan in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 02:22