Ares Games

Thread: Francesco Baracca - ace abilities

Default Francesco Baracca - ace abilities

Italy's top WW I ace comes again with WGF reprint series 3.

Veterans know his SPAD XIII from the very first Nexus Games miniature series.

Credited with 34 aerial victories, I expect some ace abilities, maybe level 4 or 5 I guess.

Does anybody has an idea what those could be?

...or maybe some information from our Italian game designer?
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 03-29-2017 at 06:17.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I know one Chivalrous Aptitude, because he Francesco Baracca did not use incendiary rounds/bullets. He was not convinced to use those ammos since a couple of time he saw with terror his victims preferred to bail out from 4.000 meters instead to die in the burning plane. He also had reported they needed only few (5 or 6) bullets to shoot down an enemy plane.

Some shooting skills as well. Even though the he used the Spad XIII he still used the Spad VII because he like the maneuverability of the Spad VII and he only needed one gun.

Also add itchy finger, perfect aim and sniper.

other notes:

34 victories on the Italian front, in the Alps, is like 68 victories on the Western Front.

Baracca remained a modest, sensitive man conscious of his duty and compassionate to both his squadron comrades and to his defeated enemies. He would try to visit his victims in hospital afterwards, to pay his respects, or he would place a wreath on the grave of those he killed.

About is death:

Baracca's home airfield and Osnago saw a burning airplane fall.

His body, when found, reportedly bore the marks of a bullet to the head. His pistol was out of its holster, but away from his body, leading to suspicions that he elected to take his own life rather than die in a crash or be taken prisoner I would say he did not want to burn to death.

Austro-Hungarian records indicates that he was killed by the gunner of an Austrian two-seater while attacking from above and behind. Ltn Arnold Barwig in Phönix C.I 121.17, piloted by Zgsf Max Kauer, claimed to have shot down the Italian ace. The Austrian crew also photographed the shot-down aeroplane and noted time and place of engagement.

A remarkable man and pilot.

Thank you for your profound rating, John.

Didn't know about this character attributes.

Baracca's Nieuport 17 is a must have miniature for me, because I like the Italian/Autro-Hungarian front planes.

(...still hoping for an Italian twoseater in the next new WGF series )
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thank you, Sven

My main focus for along time was struggles at the Italian Front.

I have 41 painted and 10 unpainted Austrian-Hungarian miniature aircraft in my collection.
    I'll be adding at 6 more when the new set arrives in June.

I'm also hoping for an IT 2-seater soon.

As some more food for thought Carl gave Baracca six ace skills for his WGF IF07 - Baracca's Last Victories multi player game, namely:
    Acrobatic pilot, Daredevil, Lucky Pilot, Perfect Aim, Sniper, Super Ace.
    Of course that was based at the end of his career so maybe one or two combined with his Chivalrous Aptitude might fit the bill.
    You could also consider Sharp Eye: (s.9) (Find the ace skills & optional rules here)
    When this skill is used the ace can hit a plane at long range as if it were at short range giving it two cards of damage instead of one .
    This skill can be used twice in a game.
    That may compensate a little for having a single gun if that's what he ends up with.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

At his peak, Baracca would be Level 6. It'll be a while before I get to him, I started at MvR and on setting up line-by-lines with planes and skills I haven't even started Mannock yet.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

At least skill rot due to old age won't be a problem....

Similar Missions

1. Francesco Baracca
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-18-2015, 14:57
  2. National: Nuovi studi su Francesco Baracca....
    By eriko76 in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 16:03
  3. Baltimore-Washington visita museo Francesco Baracca Lugo
    By nakudet in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 01:08
  4. Francesco Baracca or Barraca? - Calling Italian Friends!
    By Nightbomber in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 11:42
  5. Francesco Baracca prancing horse decal
    By Chisco in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 10:06