Ares Games

Thread: AAR - Spanish Civil War 1936 - Intercept over Sierra de Guadarrama

Default AAR - Spanish Civil War 1936 - Intercept over Sierra de Guadarrama

Yesterday I dropped in to the Emperor's Legions shop in Annerley, Brisbane. I had just finished some Fiat CR.32s (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...t-CR-32-Chirri) and brought out the Spanish Civil War aircraft. The mission below is a variation on an historical scenario I have completed for my pending 'Luftwaffe Commander' WGS campaign. Paul and I decided to each fly a pair of Nationalist fighters against two Republican bombers using the WGS automatic movement rules. Paul selected the German Heinkel He 51s and I took the Italian CR.32s.

Background

The Spanish Civil War erupted in July 1936, and two months later the battle lines have formed across the country between the Republican Government and the Nationalist Rebels. In August 1936 the Republican cause received a number of twin-engine French Potez 540 bombers in Barcelona where they equipped the Escadre Espana formed by Spanish and volunteer international aircrew. On August 14 a covert force of Italian pilots with a dozen Fiat CR.32 fighters arrived in Morocco to assist the Nationalists under General Franco. The week before a contingent of Luftwaffe pilots travelling under assumed names codenamed Sonderstab W arrived in Cadiz with six Heinkel He51s to support the Fascist insurrection. By September the Nationalist forces were pressing Republican defences around Madrid resulting in an increase in the tempo of aerial operations.

North of Madrid, Spain
    September 1936

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCW 1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	219856

Two Fiat CR.32 fighters piloted by capitán Angel Salas and his wingman of 1a Escuadrilla de Caza del Tercio are patrolling 6000 metres over the Sierra de Guadarrama. The two Spanish pilots took off from their airfield at Tablada near Seville in response to reports of Republican bombers attacking Nationalist positions.

Name:	SCW 2.jpg 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	219855

A few kilometres away two Heinkel He 51Bs piloted by Oberleutnants Krafft Eberhardt and Hannes Trautloft were responding to the same report.

Name:	SCW 3.jpg 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	219854

The Nationalist fighters soon spotted two Republican Potez 540 bombers about 1000 metres below returning from their mission .....

Name:	SCW 4.jpg 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	219853

and set course to intercept.

Name:	SCW 5.jpg 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	219852

The Spanish Fiats are the first to engage the Republican bombers .....

Name:	SCW 6.jpg 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	219858

..... but Salas mistimes his approach and overshoots the Potez as it turns to meet the attack, catching a burst from the front gunner which damages his rudder. His wingman opens fire with his 12.7mm and 7.7mm machine guns, the burst severing a fuel line. The Potez immediately catches fire.

Name:	SCW 7.jpg 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	219857

As the Fiats swing around the Potez gunners continue to fire on the Nationalist fighters inflicting some damage.

Name:	SCW 8.jpg 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	219861

Meanwhile the Heinkels swing out wide of the other Republican bomber.

Name:	SCW 9.jpg 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	219860

Capitano Salas is unable to follow up the first Potez due to his rudder damage, leaving his wingman as the sole target for the Potez gunners.

Name:	SCW 10.jpg 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	219859

As the Heinkels turn towards their Potez to attack from the rear, Salas' wingman banks left out of range as the fire finally seems to take hold on the first Republican bomber.

Name:	SCW 12.jpg 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	219865

The Potez continues to burn as the CR.32 pilot turns back to attack. His rounds cause minimal damage but the Potez gunners pepper the Nationalist machine.

Name:	SCW 13.jpg 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	219864

The flames do more damage to the Potez 540 .....

Name:	SCW 14.jpg 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	219863

..... but finally burn themselves out as the CR.32 passes overhead.

Name:	SCW 15.jpg 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	219862

Sala's wingman banks back into the attack, firing on the bomber with height advantage. Return fire from the dorsal turret smashes into the little Italian fighter, causing serious structural damage.

Name:	SCW 16.jpg 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	219871

Swinging in behind the Potez the CR.32 fires one last burst but misses the mark. The dorsal gunner shoot well however, his burst stitching the Fiat from nose to tail.

Name:	SCW 17.jpg 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	219870

Unable to take any more damage the CR.32 falls away, the pilot bailing out over Republican lines to an uncertain fate.

Name:	SCW 18.jpg 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	219869

The methodical Germans move into to attack their Potez, diving down behind the Republican bomber. Fire from the Heinkels' four 7.92mm machine guns does considerable damage, with Eberhardt's machine being hit by return fire.

Name:	SCW 19.jpg 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	219868

Capitano Salas extracts a measure of revenge for the loss of his impetuous wingman as he dives down to 5000 metres and opens fire at close range. His burst pummels the French-built Potez, smashing through the cockpit and wounding the pilot. The stricken Potez wings over and spins down to crash behind Republican lines.

Name:	SCW 20.jpg 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	219867

The Germans press their attack as a burst from Oberleutnant Eberhardt takes out the dorsal gunner and damages the rudder controls. As he is hit the gunner's last burst strikes Eberhardt's engine causing critical damage.

Name:	SCW 21.jpg 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	219877

With the dorsal gunner wounded the Germans attack with impunity, Eberhardt putting more rounds into the Potez.

Name:	SCW 22.jpg 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	219876

Eberhardt's next accurate burst blasts through the fuselage, lighting up the fuel tanks and wounding the bombardier/front gunner.

Name:	SCW 23.jpg 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	219875

The Potez 540 starts to burn .....

Name:	SCW 24.jpg 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	219874

banking away to starboard to escape the marauding Heinkels. The Republican bomber's ventral gunner mans the dorsal turret scoring hits on Trautloft, who returns fire. Eberhardt struggles with his damaged engine but puts one last burst into the enemy bomber .....

Name:	SCW 25.jpg 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	219873

..... shooting down the Potez flames.

Name:	SCW 26.jpg 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	219872

Both bombers dispatched, the remaining Nationalist fighters join formation for the return trip to Tablada.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 03-25-2017 at 22:53.

Uncommon planes on a nice gaming mat.

The Spanish Civil War is very intersting and those planes are in the best tradition of the old Nexus Game's ideas.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thanks Sven, these pre WW2 games have a very different feel to the 1940 scenarios. I am looking forward to posting the Luftwaffe campaign I have been writing, which starts in Spain.

A very enjoyable interlude in my round of WWI and Sails AARs Carl.
    Another worthy Rep merchant.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nice one Carl.

"He is wise who watches"

Thank you gentlemen, I enjoyed this game on the weekend. Makes me yearn for Spanish aerial adventures of a more 'official' kind.....

Name:	SCW thought bubble.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	220010
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 03-28-2017 at 04:30.

Great AAR yet again Carl. I haven't really explored this WW2 side of the forum properly and there's a whole load of stuff I know absolutely nothing about so far. Very refreshing. Where do the models come from? Are they conversions / scratch builds or available from sources like Shapeways?
    REP inbound Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Great AAR yet again Carl. I haven't really explored this WW2 side of the forum properly and there's a whole load of stuff I know absolutely nothing about so far. Very refreshing. Where do the models come from? Are they conversions / scratch builds or available from sources like Shapeways?
    REP inbound Mike
    Thanks Mike. All the aircraft in this AAR are Shapeways.

All the aircraft in this AAR are Shapeways.
    Well that makes life easy then, if rather expensive

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Well that makes life easy then, if rather expensive
    Current Shapeways listings for some of the more common SCW types:

2 Heinkel He 51Bs - https://www.shapeways.com/product/7Y...tionId=6043508

2 Fiat CR.32s - https://www.shapeways.com/product/BZ...tionId=7347350

1 Potez 540 bomber - https://www.shapeways.com/product/TX...ionId=41035974

4 Polikarpov I-15 Chatos - https://www.shapeways.com/product/3Z...ionId=10793344

2 Messerschmitt Bf 109Bs - https://www.shapeways.com/product/VV...ionId=58552810

Fiat G.50s, SM.79s, BR.20s, I-16s and SB-2s I would buy in resin from AIM.

For Ju 52s I go with Zvezda.

Carl apparently I can't give you any more rep for a bit, but gosh darn it, I want to!!

Love everything about this. Would you mind telling us more about that sweet custom mat?

I'm re-reading Beevor right now. Not much focus on aviation, of course, but what a mind-boggling conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    Love everything about this. Would you mind telling us more about that sweet custom mat?
    Thanks Steve. The map is the Basque town of Guernica as it appears today extracted from Google maps and printed out at B0 size on heavy paper. In 2013 I posted a 'how to' guide for this type of map making. I have made a few - desert, jungle, harbour, river and more.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 04-11-2017 at 05:55.

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    I'm re-reading Beevor right now. Not much focus on aviation, of course, but what a mind-boggling conflict.
    For a fairly detailed account of the air war over Spain check out this website - http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/scw.htm

He really, really loves WW2 era biplanes!

In addition if you have a subscription to www.scribd.com there are dozens of Osprey books on the Spanish Civil War from an air war perspective available to read and download as PDFs.

I didn't see this before but great photos and AAR of the battle. Nice planes so something to hope for from ARES.

Similar Missions

1. FUD WGS Spanish Civil War 1936-39 - 1/200 Shapeways Fiat CR.32 Chirri
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2017, 16:53
  2. FUD WGS Spanish Civil War 1936-39 - 1/200 Shapeways Polikarpov I-15 Chatos
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-13-2017, 02:44
  3. WSF WGS Spanish Civil War 1936-39 - 1/200 Shapeways Potez 540, Spanish Republic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-12-2013, 02:35
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2013, 03:09
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-10-2013, 04:50